The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a customer actually walk out with a 4' high piece of equipment that cost me over $200 and caught it on video tape. He was a local and a day later I saw him walking down the street and called 911. They told me the DA would not prosecute and the best they could do was to get me his address and phone number (not even ask him to give it back) and I could sue him. Had he stolen $200 out of the cash register they would have arrested him.

My beef is how come once cash is turned into an object, food, a camera, etc. it's no longer a criminal matter (worth prosecuting) once it's stolen. If a party of 8 runs out the door on a $1500 dollar check, it's a civil matter, but if someone grabs $50 (not using gun, knife or threat) from a teller at a bank and runs out the door they're prosecuted.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Unbelievable.... things there sure are different from here in the southeast!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I had a customer actually walk out with a 4' high piece of equipment that cost me over $200 and caught it on video tape. He was a local and a day later I saw him walking down the street and called 911. They told me the DA would not prosecute and the best they could do was to get me his address and phone number .
Skip them and go to the DA himself. They don't speak for him. If that's the case, then simply tell the DA that if he won't do his job then he can cut you a check for $200 to recoup your losses. Otherwise, tell him to do his friggen job.

Theft is theft.

Better still, do the questioning in person. If he doesn't intend to do anything, find something on his desk of equal value, pick it up, and ask him what happens if you walk out of there with it. THAT ought to get the point across.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Years ago, I was a victim of identity theft. The perp bought a Volvo, computer, and some other things in my name. I tracked him down, gave his info to a Philly dectective. They knew him and where he lived. They told me that unless it reaches over $100,000, they don't typically do anything. This enraged me. It's good that my wife has a cooler head than me or else I may have been in the most trouble.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
The police will give you the name/address to the person that wronged you??? :crazyeyes

Maybe childish pranks would be more fun since it's a relatively small amount of money. Go to the store, take every single one of those magazine subscription cards out, and spend a little time with your friends signing him up for every magazine you can find. Check the "bill me later" box and then drop them in the mail. :popcorn:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Years ago, I was a victim of identity theft. The perp bought a Volvo, computer, and some other things in my name. I tracked him down, gave his info to a Philly dectective. They knew him and where he lived. They told me that unless it reaches over $100,000, they don't typically do anything. This enraged me. It's good that my wife has a cooler head than me or else I may have been in the most trouble.

So what happened?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe you can still perform a citizens arrest. Of course, that means you hold him till the cops arrive then they let him go.

We chased down and caught a guy who stole a $400 piece of equipment from my old store.

Cite and release.. less of a penalty than speeding.

My friend does security, and his best moments are the times the cops told him to handle it himself.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Josh,

That s*cks. What exactly did they steal?

Just wondering because, after you replace it with a new one, if it's something I need, I'll be by shortly thereafter :evil:.

Hopefully this will be resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
So what happened?
I worked incredibly hard to clear up my credit. Nothing ever happened to him. I occassionally get something else he did like the warrant for my arrest. Apparently, when he had the car, he was speeding, ran a light, crashed the car, fled from the police, etc....There were 9 charges against him (me). The hearing was held in absentia. I supplied the court my 20 pages of notes and police reports and became a free man!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Local news LOVES video like that. especially when they steal something large. I hope he is easily recognized in the video.

And don't forget Youtube!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Maybe you could call the local news station since you have video evidence it would make for a decent story...!
+1

Sounds like something the local news would have fun with.

How about posting the video on YouTube and then emailing a link to a bunch of local merchants, residents, etc.? Anything that might publicly embarrass the thief.

I hope you get some satisfaction, one way or the other Josh...

EDIT: You beat me to the YouTube idea, gt3Guru!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
wow, that sucks.

...become Charles Bronson. :D

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Saying something is civil is a common thing from the police.
They are lying.

In some places, you can bring the charges yourself to the courts.
I'm not sure how involved that is.

I agree with calling the media.
Satire can be effective here.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Maybe it's time to start billing the local government for their failure to perform their duties and then filing individual accounts with collections until they get active enough to do their jobs. That would be a nice way to hold them accountable. ;) That and public hangings and canings for the criminals that are caught.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
My wife was the victim of identity theft and the FBI (I think... it's been awhile, but they were feds of some sort) went after the guy and convicted him. It was "only" $9,000. It cost us nothing.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
My wife was the victim of identity theft and the FBI (I think... it's been awhile, but they were feds of some sort) went after the guy and convicted him. It was "only" $9,000. It cost us nothing.
The FBI does investigate identity theft under their white collar crime section of their "criminal priorities."

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You'll never believe this, one of my guys saw him walking down the street, I followed him with a photo I got off my surveillance tapes and called 911. He got away from me but saw the cops pull up. The next thing I know he's in front of my place with the item. It's a draft beer tower. It's well over 4 ft. and it was full of beer when he took it. He said at the time he was drunk and did a stupid thing, would wait for the cops and take his lumps. When the police rolled up I found out he had felonies and this could put him away for a long time (police now took the situation differently because of the arrest record). He was honest enough to return it, I couldn't press charges.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
If a party of 8 runs out the door on a $1500 dollar check, it's a civil matter, but if someone grabs $50 (not using gun, knife or threat) from a teller at a bank and runs out the door they're prosecuted.
In Florida, writing a bad check is a crime. A guy I knew once got arrested for writing a bad $70 check to a supermarket.

At the same time, I had a client write me a bad $1500 check. I still haven't gotten paid for the work I did, but I didn't press charges or even sue them... their financial situation got pretty bad, so I let it go. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts