The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of having my cylinder head ported/polished, do you need a tune for it to keep like a/f ratio with in range? thanx

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
and, second, do we have an agreement as to who should do the head work?
sam

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
You will need a tune to maximize output.. I doubt it would do anything except throw a code without a tune. I haven't tried it so my opinions only based on my discussions with knowledgeable ones. Basically, if you are making changes that actually make an appreciable difference, ie enough to produce more power, you need a tune. Charlie said that once.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
boosted 2.0 can port and polish anything you throw at him, and for tuning im pretty sure charliex can handle anything you throw at him too

·
Registered
438 Posts
i dont know what you have in there already but if you are having this work done w/the head off it would be smart to do the supertech valves and valve springs for added safety and slightly more power.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Not much to be gained with a port/polish. Expensive for little, if any, gains.
I heard the same info a while back. After looking at a stock head I agreed there wasn't much to be gained. However, I recently saw some flow numbers
before and after porting. There was a nice increase. The ported head also produced more hp on a dyno. The info was from someone I trust so it has me thinking.
:shrug:

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I heard the same info a while back. After looking at a stock head I agreed there wasn't much to be gained. However, I recently saw some flow numbers
before and after porting. There was a nice increase. The ported head also produced more hp on a dyno. The info was from someone I trust so it has me thinking.
:shrug:
+ 1 to Jim.

I had heard what Maine said before from Gary at MWR, but then heard that Boosted and Kris both have had some good success with porting...

Taking their word for it that the porting is helping the head flow and unleashes some power, then it's a good mod even for a blown engine. More NA power is a good thing! It will still need tuning and Charles in Charge of that for the OEM ECU...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx for all your prompt reply guys, appreciate it very much. i'm changing my clutch/flywheel that's why i was planning to do some head mods while the engine is out. i have a bwr sc for 8 months now and i'm wondering with the port/polish if it will throw my a/f ratio way off that i'll need a custom tune for it? thanx everyone and i'm ready for power upgrade Phil.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
thanx everyone and i'm ready for power upgrade Phil.
Cool, Happy to help. Just gimme a ring/email/PM when you're ready and I'll be happy to help...

Good luck!

Phil

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
b. motorist i know you have been talking about this efi but what is it really and what does it do? sorry for my ignorance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanx for the clarification b motorist. do you have an efi and what brands are usually popular in this kind of application? and how hard is it to tune? thanx a million.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It's a standalone ECU that replaces the factory ECU. It allows you to completely customize your tune and various settings by yourself.
...i thought EFI piggybacked the lotus ECU, not replaced...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts