The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All:

In an earlier thread, Stan had posted what I thought was an amazing concept for a stereo upgrade in the Elise. Here's the link:

http://www.elise-goes-hifi.com/Home/home1.html

This is their reply to my query earlier this morning:

"...the Elise Audio System which you find on my website is only compatible with the MkI version of the Elise and not the Federal Edition. Due to severe supplier problems I decided to not continue sales of this solution.
Nevertheless it might be possible that I will continue sales of a
improved version of the ultra lightweight subwoofer plus an amplifier module. In combination with very lightweight after market speakers from Blaupunkt (ODx102 replacing the original front speakers and ODx162 replacing the rear ones) and a car radio with powerful equalizer capabilities (best unit today is the Blaupunkt Bremen MP74 with its 108-band EQ), you will get excellent results in combination with almost no additional
weight (compared to original equipment). Installation of this combination will be a child's play. If you like to add the exciters to your seats, this is a little bit more tricky as the removal of the seats is a damned time-consuming procedure."

Any thoughts and/or interest on the system described?

- dechien

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
My only thought would be that if he's going to give you the list of components, why pay his markup to buy them? The stuff has got to be cheaper at Crutchfield.

·
Registered
178 Posts
dechien said:

In combination with very lightweight after market speakers from Blaupunkt (ODx102 replacing the original front speakers and ODx162 replacing the rear ones) and a car radio with powerful equalizer capabilities (best unit today is the Blaupunkt Bremen MP74 with its 108-band EQ
I took a look at the Blaupunkt Bremen owner's manuals. That thing is a lot more sophisticated than the Los Angeles in the Touring pack. Same small amplifier, but very fancy self calibrating EQ with far more bands (27) per channel than the Los Angeles (5). This might be good in the Elise because the main problem with Elise sound quality is the speaker placement in weird cavities behind seats and against windshield. Even a perfect speaker in those locations will sound bad due to acoustic interference.

It's possible that the Bremen's EQ calibration could actually help here. The Los Angeles' 5 EQ bands are way too broad to fix the severe discontinuities in frequency response in an Elise.

Also the Bremen has the ability to actually compensate for exhaust and wind noise with speed increase by sensing the cabin noise. Also theoretically good for the Elise.

Just theory. I may buy one and try it one of these days.

Still probably illegible in sunlight though, and not cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts