The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have source for instructions for installing th HID kits? Didn't have time to do much of a search...... Thanks.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump....anyone?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Um... Take the front wheel off, remove the liner. You should be able to see the bolts for the headlight housing now, it's pretty straightforward from there.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Here you go Zdculus.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-15912447027353/LotusHIDInstall

Btw a few tips.

Zip tie the ballasts. Dont use the sticky tape. Because it wont hold over time. Also make sure you get some type of "right stuff" from autozone to put around the back of the hole you need to cut in the rubber cover for the housing. You need to seal it up pretty good. Other than that pretty straight forward.

Good luck and congrats. You'll love the new HIDs. :clap:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hey, I thought you already did this last summer? And don't you remember watching everyone else installing theirs? Especially E.D., he only installed his about 6 times that day and still didn't finish.

Yeah, like others have mentioned, zip ties are your friend for the ballast, the double sided tape sucks. Also, the tricky part is locking the bulbs in place since the wire snaps that hold the bulb in don't fit so well. Seems like everyone gets frustrated and then kinda hacks and twist them together instead of locking them in the hooks. And yeah, you have to take the wheel liner out, unscrew the 3 bolts holding down the light lens, then snake the new cable harness and grommets thru the light housing into the wheel well (use some kind of lub on the wires, will make life easier). I also suggest start early in the day.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Zdculus,

Don't cut out a hole in the rubber grommet for the wiring as suggested above. Remove the grommet and the wires from the hole in the head light housing. You can then take a pair of medium sized long needle nose pliers and insert them through the hole in the grommet with the original wires still in place. Then open the pliers as wide as they will go and you will be able to substantially open the hole in the grommet without damaging it. While holding the pliers open you can then feed the HID wires in through the grommet. I installed both low and high HIDs in my '06 Elise and made all of the electrical connections inside the head light housing with the original grommet to seal the hole. I did however have to remove the cheap silicone grommets from the HID wires to do this. The original Lotus grommet is made to fit the hole and is much better than the grommets that come on the HIDs and you can't get the original wires into the HID grommets as the wires are all in separate holes through the grommets.

Dave

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot guys...greg, nah i didn't do that last summer, it was painful enough watching those guys LOL. Actually from that day i swore i would never get HIDs and go through that, but go figure LOL. I found the sands museum link in the uberpost about aiming the headlights. THose instructions are great for getting you into the light housing, and of course re-aiming the headlights, which i also have to do. My elise currently has a lazy eye LOL. But, i'm basically looking for the step by step after you get the housing off. There are a lot of wires in the box, and wiring is not one of my strong points :)

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bumpers

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
z
i can swing over if you needs help or moral support.....

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Talked to him this morning....sounds like it's scattered in a zillion pieces ! :crazyeyes

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alan thanks.....next weekend would be great. what day would be better for you sat or sunday?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
saturday works (i've real work all day sunday:rolleyes:) what time's best for you

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
early afternoon?......you tell me i'll supply the food and booze :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
confused as to what you are supposed to zip tie the ballast to. I think Im gonna buy a rivet gun and rivet it down. The heavy duty velcro pulled off with about 2 pounds force. Heavy duty exterior double sided tape (way better than what came with the bulbs) was better but still dont trust it in the long run.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts