The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum and there is some great stuff here, thanks.

I just purchased a 2012 Evora. I love it! Does anyone here use their Lotus as their daily driver and if so, how has the experience been in regards to durability, etc.

·
Registered
396 Posts
New to this forum and there is some great stuff here, thanks.

I just purchased a 2012 Evora. I love it! Does anyone here use their Lotus as their daily driver and if so, how has the experience been in regards to durability, etc.
I do - though I run my business from my home, so not sure if that counts as "daily driver". I've still put 5k miles on it in 6 months. Never left me stranded or without a way to go. Issues I've had:

Dash replacement
Shifter boot replacement
Brake switch
Door locks
Steering spacer
Traction control button (pending)

My stock rear Pirelli's were shot after 6k miles - apparently I drive like a maniac. Even the Lotus service manager gave me the crook eye when I came in for new tires at 6k miles. This may or may not be an issue for you as a DD - while I'd rather not buy a new set of tires every 6 months, it wouldn't prevent me from using the Evora as a DD.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
No problem using my Evora S as a daily driver. I have 17k miles from on in 18 months and the car is as reliable as my former cars (mostly Audi).

·
Registered
786 Posts
13,000 miles in 12 months for me. I replaced my rears at 7,000 miles, so I must drive like a wuss compared to Lynn. :D No big issues, just little stuff that you've all read about on this forum.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I must drive like a wuss compared to Lynn. :D
I don't think that's possible :p The cops down here have beaten me into submission - figuratively speaking of course. And, as we all know, kinda tough to go unnoticed in an Evora. Something else to consider when DD'ing the Evora.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I drive pretty normally but I drive it daily and love the hell out of it.

I have not had it for 3 weeks while it was in the shop with basic maintenance and some warranty stuff I felt needed looked at (nothing big at all) and am looking forward to picking it up Sat!

I feel this car is very capable and solid as a daily driver - I really do not worry one bit about it.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
It's not uncommon to have exotics burn through tires, but it doesn't have to be that way. How heavy is a Evora? Not that heavy. It should be able to last more than 6K miles on a set of rear tires.

If the car is more for daily driving, and not serious track work, buy a set of tires that has a better wear rating, and then get an alignment that is designed to be easy on the car (as close to neutral camber and toe as is safe).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I DD my Evora although I am ashamed to say that I have 5500 miles and have had my car 18 months. As you can tell my commute isn't far. That being said I love driving it daily, kinda wish I had further to drive (if i could get better roads) on most days and have had few to no problems overall. Even on Houston's horrible roads the Evora sails over pothole and ruts with little complaining.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I've had mine two months and put 3,500 miles on it, but that included a 1,500 road trip to Tony K's annual car party (
and photos). I got a great rate through State Farm by bundling everything, including property, and I have a 7,500/year cap on the Evora, but I use it so much that I'm considering selling my BMW and removing the mileage limit on the Evora.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a 2010 Evora with 9,000 miles on it about 4 months ago - since then using is as a daily driver I have put about 3,500 - Absolutely no problems at all. I put in the RAdium CAI, and a new Pioneer System (AVIC-x940BT). Oh there was an issue with the door locks which were fixed by the dealer. Decent Gas mileage - especially if you use 6th gear on the highway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you had issues with door locks then you didn't have absolutely no problems at all ;-)

There's always a smart ass. I stand by my original text. Absolutely no,problems at all, the lock issue was the subject a technical service bulletin - and so it was replaced. However I was never inconvenienced by it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
2600 miles in 5 weeks...love the car, totally good daily driver, but I came from a 20k a year Elise so I'm a bit biased...

I have had some of the standard warranty issues pop up (loose items, dash leather/airbag cover, door lock adjustment (had the TSB done already..) etc) but nothing horrible and I woudl expect it since my car was on the lot doing nothing for awhile...

·
Registered
359 Posts
There's always a smart ass. I stand by my original text. Absolutely no,problems at all, the lock issue was the subject a technical service bulletin - and so it was replaced. However I was never inconvenienced by it.
Really - going back to the dealer was already part of your plan that day? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
HOLY CRAP!
He's our token lemon owner. Must be a california thing. seems like all the best lemons come from way out there.

It also seems the more you paid early on, the more issues you had. Go figure. The Early 2010's needed to be sorted out. The early 2011's had far fewer issues, and so far, it seems that 2012 owners have had VERY few complaints.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not only do I daily drive mine, but I sold my other two cars after buying it.

That means that the evora is my only means of transportation in NC, where one must drive. Three months in, I'm still pretty happy.

The one catch is that I don't want to leave the evora at the airport when travelling, so I often have to catch a ride or take a taxi -- I travel a lot for work.

donour

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealer doing the 12.5k maintenance and a small list of other things I wanted "looked at" while it was in. No inconvenience as it was going in anyways.

I MISSED this car while it was gone. So glad it's back and can't wait to drive it to work tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts