The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive driving around my new 08 Elise SC and I was just curious about how some of you guys handle these cars as daily drivers. Personally i think the car looks better with the hard top on but is more enjoyable to drive with it off...Which way do you guys usually drive it and how often do you switch between the two? The car came with out a starshield because the dealer told me on CO it is very visible...is this BS? Do you guys use any other products besides the starshield that would protect other parts of the car aswell? I get very uptight driving around dusty areas etc because i feel the car is so vulnerable right now. Other than that if any of you have any feedback on how you drive these cars daily i would apreciate it. (I realize there are many threads on this which i have read) Thanks all.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::crazyeyes:crazyeyes

·
Registered
5,409 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive read the uberpost before.... just curious about what everyone does on a daily bases opposed to whether or not these cars are usable for a daily driver. Maybe i scared people off with my title hah.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hey new guy, no problem. I have two CO cars, both covered with Starshield. No, it is not highly visible at all. If you did not know it was there and where to look you'd never notice it. So yes, what the dealer told you is indeed BS.

As for the hard top on or off, that's up to you to decide.
Regarding how we drive them, drive it like you stole it and above all else, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi jaspers2

1) I don’t own a hard top, but then I’d never use it anyways. The top is always off the car except for bad weather.

2) I have a BRG Elise with starshield. I don’t think it is noticeable on my car, but don’t know about a CO Lotus from personal experience.

3) I have no experience or opinion on any other starshield like products.

4) Until the winter sets in I use mine as a DD, and I can’t understand why anyone would not. But I live in a rural area, and my drive to work consists of a rural highway with light traffic and two nice “S” bends in it. If I drove in bumper to bumper traffic I might have a different opinion. I don’t feel vulnerable at all, but then I’ve always driven small cars. I hate driving big SUVs in traffic. They always feel unstable to me. I tend to drive like a grandma when I drive my brother’s explorer or my dad’s f-150. I guess it is just what you get used to.

I’m not sure what you’re asking for as far as “feedback on how you drive these cars daily”. I love the experience of driving a light agile car with the top on a summer day. DD’ing this car is not a chore; it is a pleasant experience on par with eating a $10 piece of chocolate cake or sipping a really well made rob-roy or manhattan. It’s a treat!

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I daily drive my car and only drive with the hardtop on because it is an Exige S, I'm a woman with long fine hair and don't even want to think about the havoc the wind would have on my hair, and for the security. I have chrome orange. Yeah, you can see the seams, who cares. BUT, you can buy SweetDaddyD's kit with no seams. Dude, you want the protection, trust me! I don't have the starshield on the front access panels and they have chips in them and I am pissed.

Linky to SDD's site.... Chuforia Graffix

·
Registered
86 Posts
I drive most of the time with hardtop on because it just looks better and less hassle with people trying to reach in to my car. When it's a sunny and gorgeous day though, I pull it off and leave softtop in my trunk. I usually put my softtop back during night times because the heater sometimes doesn't work as well as you like =)

As for the starshield, I've aspen white, so it's pretty visible. But without it, your car will get so many nicks it'd probably make you cry. I can't imagine the car without it on.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I Daily Drive mine (though I am unemployed right now, so...)

Hardtop stays on in summer (Phoenix AZ).

No top for the rest of the year.

Starlight Black - Starshield is invisible. Any other color, it can 'yellow' over time and it's possible to see it, however, I would think it minimal on a CO car. I would NEVER drive my car without the Starshield. Ever.

I drive it like a bat out of hell up to the speed limit and then cruise, except on mountain backroads.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Personally i think the car looks better with the hard top on but is more enjoyable to drive with it off...Which way do you guys usually drive it and how often do you switch between the two? The car came with out a starshield because the dealer told me on CO it is very visible...is this BS?
yes, the consensus (there was even a poll taken on here) is that the cars look best with the hardtops, followed by no-top, and last with soft-top.

How you decide to switch between them all really depends on your climate, along with basic preference, security and parking situations. - tons of factors that only you can determine for yourself as you drive your car.

For me personally, I put my hardtop on in the late fall thru winter (here in S. California) . and then I switch to the softtop when the weather is more pleasant and I remove/install it depending on the occasion.
I prefer not to leave the soft-top off when parked, simply to keep the elements out.

To be honest, I'd probably not even bother with the Hardtop if I didn't have one- but I like the looks and I'm not going to sell it - and then it would be lame for me to own and not use it!

I'd say starshield is installed on 90% of the cars out there, so I'd say the dealer might be pulling your leg or something just to sell you the car.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I want to be able to pull the top at any time so i've never put the hard top on since i took deliver. It sits in it's shipping box to date... i guess that'll make it easy to ship if/when i decide to sell it. It was on the car when i picked it up with 4k miles on it, but i had them pull it off and box it up for shipping to me so i had options on the 9 hour drive back from vegas. but it's at 38k miles now and i've never wanted it on. the hard top also takes up more headroom space around the windshield frame which i don't like. I thin i'm lucky that the white cars look better than other with soft top on.

The only reason i would run the HT would be for serious ran/leaking issues or serious heat/cold issues... neither of which do i have in the San Francisco bay area.

YES, i'd have starshield put on even if it was pretty obvious, becuase most people don't even notice the obvious to your average lotus driver anyway... especially at night... i've got white car which is probably one of the most obvious cars to have it, and not once have i got any commentary on it... and i get plenty of good comments on the car... there's nothing star shield can do to make it look ugly if you ask me... if it's half way decently applied anyway... the only negative i get pretty commonly is that i need to wash it!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey new guy, no problem. ...Regarding how we drive them, drive it like you stole it and above all else, enjoy the ride.
That was a very nice response...gracious:bow:

Hat's off.

...And regarding the topic...I've only driven my friend's Lotus Elise and I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the idea of daily driving it, but for Auto X - yeah baby, fun fun fun!

Further...I think the top off would be a great way to drive it ALL the time! Certainly easier to get it in and out of.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have had my car for years and never took the top off, i like it with the top on better.

I dont drive everyday, I actually like to use my Elise for long drives. like Vegas-LA. I just wish it had a bigger fuel tank. I like the way the car feels wrapped around me, and I just go......I think my speedo reads a bit fast, I usually drive it at 95mph on the guage but I thing its closer to 85mph.

Scottsdale to Bev Hills was my longest drive.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I put over 50K miles on mine as a daily driver and agree completely that top-on looks best. I tended to remove the hard top every four to six weeks and leave it off for a couple of weeks then put it back on again. It's not hard but takes 10 to 15 min (total, including storage in the garage). My car did not come with Starshield and I didn't want it. Again, after 50K miles the front has some chips but not too many. I figure for the cost of Starshield, I can have the front repainted periodically.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Mine is my DD.

I bolted the hard top on, and it will never come off.

Convertibles are for high school girls, and barbie.

I even tell people the top doesn't come off. They ask, and I go, "nah thats a different model."

·
Registered
101 Posts
I drive mine every day to work and back, supermarket, kid to school, etc... I have never taken off the hardtop. As far as as I am concerned I am paying every month to have this car. When I am NOT using it I am losing money! ; )

But seriously its tons of fun and I have a long highway drive without much traffic so for me its great fun.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use the hardtop almost exclusively - but that's because my commute is about 10 minutes / 6 miles so taking the soft top on and off when I park just becomes more hassle than it is worth. However, if I know I'll be driving for a few days for extended periods, I'll take the hard top off and deal with the on / off hassle of the soft top.

And definitely get a starshield.

·
Registered
821 Posts
starshield is good, get it. or get aftermarket version from Chuforia. just get it installed ASAP.

I run hardtop in the summer, its too damn hot here in the summer to run the soft top. I have a ratchet with proper torx bit in my trunk so I can yank it off if I'm @ a friends house and we want to have some evening fun.

Other times of the year I run the softtop.

I've been driving my jeep a lot though. (the lotus is dirty)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I drive with the top off as much as possible. I really enjoy it that way. Even long highway miles if that's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did not get the hard top with my car. I am too tall to get in and out easily with the top on. The soft top stays off most of the time. When the soft top must be used, I simply unlatch the driver's side, roll it back a bit, and then get in or out with a bit of grace.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts