The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the base Elise suspension now, and both my rear shocks are leaking. The fronts aren't looking to good either. Want to take the chance to upgrade to something without 67,000 miles on it... I drive the Elise daily and track it a handful of times a year. Any recommendations on something? Thinking a set of used sport suspension or maybe Nitron singles if I'm feeling spendy.

·
Registered
583 Posts
you should take a look at Quantum Zero's:

Designed as a no-brainer fit and forget road car solution giving improved ride comfort whilst offering a slightly more sporty/controlled feel.

(and just to be upfront, yes I have spent a lot of time working on these)

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll take a look at them. I drove a friends car with the sport pack and thought it would be comfortable for daily. The base suspension is either really really stiff, or mines been broken since I bought the car. It did have 50k miles on it when I got it so that's completely possible. How would you compare the Quantums to the base suspension? On road and on track?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Hmm, I've been looking to upgrade to the Nitron singles myself, and I would be getting rid of my track-pack suspension if I did. Perhaps you can add that to your options. Has 23k miles on it, no track time that I know of.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hows the ride for road use? I find the base suspension to be pretty terrible, but the sport pack I drove was decent.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I posted this in ''Track pack (Bilstein) vs Ohlins vs Nitrons'
As someone asked about Quantums in this thread;

I have just fitted the Quantum zeros;

I can't give a comparision as I haven't used nitrons or olins.
I had the LSS suspension as OEM and was very disappointed with the crashy feeling when a bump is encountered. Also course surface set up vibrations that made the car feel like it was going to fall apart.

I use the car as a DD so road compliance is a big deal for me, I also wanted to maintain OEM ride hieght.

I fitted the Quantum zeros (designed primarily for road with the odd track day) and the crashy feeling has gone. It changes the Lotus from something that doesn't want to look at a bump to a feeling of compliance, like a stiff Sports saloon. The car goes not feel firmer than the stock to me, although the spring rates indicate this. The only negative I have encountered is the car can be a little rocky on some surfaces from front to rear which is not a deal breaker

I am very happy with the result.

Quantum do have other products but these are more specific for track.
It depends also on your usage

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks I'll take a look at them. I drove a friends car with the sport pack and thought it would be comfortable for daily. The base suspension is either really really stiff, or mines been broken since I bought the car. It did have 50k miles on it when I got it so that's completely possible. How would you compare the Quantums to the base suspension? On road and on track?
the Quantum Zero's are a little firmer than std, but without any of the low-speed crashing that the std ones have (ie. if you hit a 1" step in the surface, they just take it rather than removing your teeth).

they were designed and setup for road cars to give a 'sportier' feel but be much more compliant to road imperfections without falling over in high load conditions.

realistically, they are what the sport suspension should have been.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ChronoWS - Sounds great! I'll remind you the next time I see you at RTC. Thanks!

West oz loti - That was exactly what I was looking for. The "crashy" feeling describes what I hate about the base suspension - at the track or not. After reading that and Simon S' posts regarding the Quantums I'm almost sold. Need to do a bit more research on how they compare to easily available/cheaper solutions like track/sport pack.

·
Registered
297 Posts
ChronoWS - Sounds great! I'll remind you the next time I see you at RTC. Thanks!

West oz loti - That was exactly what I was looking for. The "crashy" feeling describes what I hate about the base suspension - at the track or not. After reading that and Simon S' posts regarding the Quantums I'm almost sold. Need to do a bit more research on how they compare to easily available/cheaper solutions like track/sport pack.
I had the bilsteins LSS Lotus sports suspension (harder springs than non sport), very disappointing. I wouldn't go this way although it may be a lot cheaper. I do know in the states Biltein adjustables did come on some cars, and I have seen them for sale on this site secondhand (but not that cheap). They may be a better but the Quantum zeros are well priced for quality/performance.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I would really like to drive a car someone has set up with Nitrons or Quantums - if anyone comes to Exotics at RTC and would let me drive or ride in such a setup I'd appreciate it! I actually don't have a problem with my Track Pack setup except that the car does tend to lean a lot and there are certain road surfaces around here just does not seem to handle well. I've not driven the stock suspension though, so I can't really compare the track pack to stock.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would really like to drive a car someone has set up with Nitrons or Quantums - if anyone comes to Exotics at RTC and would let me drive or ride in such a setup I'd appreciate it! I actually don't have a problem with my Track Pack setup except that the car does tend to lean a lot and there are certain road surfaces around here just does not seem to handle well. I've not driven the stock suspension though, so I can't really compare the track pack to stock.
I would love to offer my car for a drive, but the Pacific ocean is a problem. :nanner:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My Nitron singles are pretty brutal on the street, IMO, but I've never actually spent any time on stock suspension, so I'm not sure how it compares. I'll try to make the next meet up so you guys can try it out.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If you are value is a big concern I think take offs are the way to go. I am sure nitrons or other facy shocks have advantages but the bang for the buck on slightly used take off packages is killer. I am a big fan of "take off engineering" when possible.

My elise had Lss and the exige has the adjustable Bilstiens. If you are willing to spend the 15 min to adjust the dampers the track pack bilstiens have alot of flexibilty. THere is of course a relatively high amount of roll due to the progressive springs. However on the low settings they are very comfortable, maybe even more than the standard set up. On the stiff settings the High speed damping is really stiff, they can be a bit jaring over broken pavement, kinda like lss but a little worse. I think the LSS package is a fantastic overall compromise when you consider it can be bought used for 350$. The hot ticket would be track pack dampers with slightly stiffer linear springs, but I am not sure if anybody makes the correct ones.

If you are willing to spend 2k on nitrons, great. Take the advice of the many more people knowledgable about after market shock. If you are woried that you will be dissapointed with track pack or lss, I can asure you they are both pretty great setups, all else considered.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you are willing to spend 2k on nitrons, great. Take the advice of the many more people knowledgable about after market shock. If you are woried that you will be dissapointed with track pack or lss, I can asure you they are both pretty great setups, all else considered.
Quantum zeros are around 1K US and sh!t on on the LSS (non adjustable) suspension for Daily driving. I just left shouldered them. I took them off with only 4000 clicks since new, and they are not going back on!

:bow:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I thought most considered the base suspension far more comfortable than LSS for DD? Road car, not track. I'll admit I lust after something softer for the street.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for everyones help. I think I've decided on the Quantums after research. Since I'm going to be replacing the suspension, I figured I'd go with a real upgrade rather than a sidestep that seems to be the LSS suspension. It seems like the Quantum Zeros are just what I'm looking for. I don't drive the Elise daily because of the ride quality or creature comforts, I just love having that driving experience every day.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, sure. Once I get the suspension ordered and put on. Got a couple things to do first :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts