The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home from Santana Row today. Someone lost a bumper on the freeway and caused a traffic jam. I didn't see it until it came under the 4X4 in front of me. We were only doing about 25 MPH, but I recieved a nice hole in the underside of the clam and the front piece of aluminum.

I think I'll have to replace the aluminum, but can the fiberglass be repaired, or does this mean a new clam?

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Ardent Red Elise
297 Posts
Bummer!:( Looks repairable to me, though. Alternatively, you could move to a state requiring front plates . . . .

·
Registered
217 Posts
So you kept the bumper?

FWIW, 5STE554 is a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, VIN JN6ND14Y8HW002861 Maybe they're insured?

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I think you can report them and somehow get them to pay for the damage to your car because their bumper wasn't properly secured to their car. Recently a woman in San Francisco died from a tire flying off a taxi and they are trying to figure out how is responsible the taxi driver or the shop he just came from. So this bumper not being on properly is somebody's fault

·
Registered
95 Posts
Claim from their insurance! one thing that pisses me off is people that drop crap on the roads, junk, nails, screws and all kinds of crap that causes damage.
I'd make a claim from their insurance, perhaps getting your insurance company to pursue their losses from the other party.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Chris(MA) said:
Claim from their insurance! one thing that pisses me off is people that drop crap on the roads, junk, nails, screws and all kinds of crap that causes damage.
I'd make a claim from their insurance, perhaps getting your insurance company to pursue their losses from the other party.
+1

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If that is the bumper with the tag, then go after them. No excuses.

A nightfall blue at that.. <sigh>

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah, you could certainly fix that from what I can see. I doubt you'd be able to see it unless you really looked closely.
the paint blend is what you would probably notice the most.

I caught a rock right where the plate would go last fall sometime. It didn't break anything, but flexed enough where the paint cracked on the upper part. I flowed in some coloured resin. I can see it, but not big deal.
I'm going to put a 'psudo' plate on the front anyway I think. (printed copy, laminated and cutdown a bit).

Mark

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
///Mink said:
So you kept the bumper?

FWIW, 5STE554 is a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, VIN JN6ND14Y8HW002861 Maybe they're insured?
Yea, I wanted the evidence!! I'm not going to ask how you got that info, but thank you very much!!!!! :bow:

I'm going to give all this info to my insurance company and let them chase 'em down.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I LOVE THE INTERNET! Go git 'em!

pwn3d.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Colinsmix said:
Yea, I wanted the evidence!! I'm not going to ask how you got that info, but thank you very much!!!!! :bow:

I'm going to give all this info to my insurance company and let them chase 'em down.
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx I use this website myself. To look up any car that has been smogged once.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If the insurance is going to pay, then don't bother trying to save money. Just get it replaced. I got a similar gash in mine a few months ago, although the hole wasn't as big. I ended up replacing the clam for a total cost of about $9,000 :eek: I used Dell Autobody in Cambell. They were recommended to me by the local Lotus dealer (Silicon Valley Auto Group).

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Sorry to hear about this!

You should have come on the drive with us instead -poke- . Actually - maybe not - one of us blew out his rear windscreen going down Page Mill Road :shrug:

·
Registered
937 Posts
cstetter said:
Sorry to hear about this!

You should have come on the drive with us instead -poke- . Actually - maybe not - one of us blew out his rear windscreen going down Page Mill Road :shrug:
I noticed from the last drive I was on not to follow too close. These cars can throws rocks pretty good.
Got any pics of your gullwing top?
This thread sounds like one to follow. Hope his/her insurance pays up.

·
Registered
937 Posts

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
When they say 'Did you get the license plate?'.....you REALLY got the license plate. I am really surprised at the number of bumpers along the road with plates on them. I can't imagine leaving mine behind if it fell off or even if it came off in a wreck.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.