The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Damage to my Elise from backing out of a steep driveway

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  thegit 
#1 ·
I promised pics a while back. Her's two. The damage is annoying but not catastrophic.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I bet it's the flash.

I like how it's raining in the pictures. It's very symbolic and sad to see a damaged Elise.

#11 ·
Was driving my RSX onto our construction jobsite in Waiehu the other day. Normally take my 4WD F150, but with the price of gas over here these days, the RSX makes better sense. Took the normal entry onto the site, and found myself going no where fast. Site crew had built up a slight berm in curb area, and there I was, hanging off the center of the chasis. Had to radio my guys, and they literally picked up the rear of the car by hand so I could get rolling! New suspension on the car makes it pretty low, speed bumps can be a hassle. Imagine the Elise will be the same way. Will have my crew follow me wherever I go for the occaisional lift, when the Elise arrives, supposedly next month, or the month after that, or...

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel
#3 in Hawaii, whatever that means.
Hey Huggy Bear, batten down the hatches at the Polo Beach, TS Estelle appears to be heading this way. We are long overdue for a hurricane.

#12 ·
Surferjer... what did you do to fix this?

Unfortunately, today I did the same thing entering a driveway for a gas station. Misjudged it a little.. was not careful enough... and hit the edge of the curbing where it starts to bend back up to the sidewalk. :( :(

#13 ·
Are either of you near enough to the offending driveway that a snapshot is possible? That way we could see what an example of a problem area looks like to help us judge things better as we drive around. Hmm, sounds like you might have more of a driver error thing in your case Randy...ya gotta give the cement more room than the cones!!

#15 ·
I went out ass first instead of front first on my boo boo. I will take a look and photo when I get a chance.

Randy-I have not fixed it yet. I have talked to my dealer and ordered touch up paint. Once in, I'll apply it, then use a blow dryer to melt down the offending starshield. Don't know how long it'll take to get the paint in....

#16 ·
I think your best bet to entrance and egress of banked driveways is nose first, and use the inner front tire with applied steering lock to protect the fascia.
That way, the tire hits/climbs the ramp first and effectively raises the body as the body is all behind the tire and has a closer to parallel attitude to the ramp.
m.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.