The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting in the service lane -- with temp tags still on it! A damaged ST Elise. Front lip is wasted, and the front end is cracked above the grille (IIRC). Didn't look too bad, but then the guy in the parts dept told me it needs a whole new front end (clam?), and it's gonna cost $5-6K to repair! Ouch!

Makes the damage to my wheel (clipping a curb) seem like peanuts.

But anyone wanting to see the color -- it'll be there a while, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked -- the guy in the parts dept didn't know. I didn't pursue it.

Someone on this board must know!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stan said:
The front clam costs about 2000. Maybe other things were damaged.
He said something like "the whole front and a part underneath" had to be replaced.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>"the whole front and a part underneath"<<<

Well if the part is the front crash structure then the car took a real hit.

It sounds like many shops don't repair anything though...they just replace it. Randy did have his front clam repaired though. The clam had to be removed to access the zone behind the damage. That's why I was a bit surprised to hear that Surferjer's car had to get a rear clam. In that case it looks like you can easily get to the damaged area from behind.

I wouldn't necessarily push for a new clam on either end of the car off that bat. There could be other side effects to such a repair. Things like body alignment, shut lines, new squeaks/rattles, water tightness and so forth come to mind as potential issues.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hmmm.
Wonder if it was a wide foot- small pedal event?
They may have to replace the crash stucture if it was a solid hit by the nose as opposed to a ramping kind of collision.

Appologies to the owner if lurking...and hope your insurance is ok.
This is only curiousity and not a post mortem dissection.
m

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Stan said:
It sounds like many shops don't repair anything though...they just replace it.
This is the difference between a mechanic and a technician. A tech replaces components, a mechanic fixes them. When getting my Elite fixed I look for a mechanic.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I was told my multiple bodyshops that the repair on my car would require removal of the rear clam in any case. I agree it could be done on the car, but I ain't the one fixing it. So since it has to come off anyway, I suppose if they recommend a new one, that's what I'll do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thats mine your talking about.

Unfortunately that is my ST you see sitting at Chriswell. Here’s the story how it ended up there. My parents asked if they could borrow the car for the day. I didn’t have a problem with this, my dad is a huge car nut and treats all his cars with respect and appreciates performance. I got a call later that day that went something like this.

my dad "Hey Jake"
me "Hey? What’s up?"
my dad "Its the Lotus, I wrecked it"
me .....
me .... "your joking right?"
my dad "I wish I was.. I slid it off the road"
me... "Are you okay?"
my dad "Everyone is fine"
me "Is the car totaled, or is it drivable"
my dad "Its drivable, but its has some pretty significant damage.
me "Bring it back and let me look at it."

An hour or so later they arrived with the car, and it was dark out by time they pulled into my driveway. My mom was in tears and my dad almost was too. She was furious with my dad for being so irresponsible but I wasn’t too upset, I was glad they were okay, and I was expecting much worse that what I was seeing. Don’t get me wrong I was still upset, but I wasn’t angry with them. The car has been out of commission for the past couple of weeks, and I don’t expect to get it back for at least three more. I waited a year for the car, drove it for 3 weeks, and now I’m waiting again. The hold up is going to be getting the parts for it. I would rather them replace the front clam then try to fix it, and it will need 4 new wheels, and whatever else the shop discovers. I'm just hoping there is no frame damage. Surprisingly the undercarriage didn’t seem to show any scratches or damage.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ouch...I feel your pain. I got chills up and down my spine while reading your post.

Wouldn't wish this on anyone. I'm still anxiously waiting for my ST...and no one drives it but me, not even my wife!!!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
revo303-that is a night-marish story. I'll bet your Dad is really upset with himself. Hang in there, but make sure they repair EVERYTHING. The last thing you want in to have a suspension break after you get it back and have it go off the road again. How did all 4 wheels get damaged? Was it LSS?

Man I'm sorry. Horrible luck. I'd let my Dad drive mine, too, but maybe I'd sit in the passenger seat after hearing this.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My condolances.

I know what my Dad comes over from the UK he's going to want to drive it. Given that he's demolished his Westfield twice, I'm really not so sure if I can let him drive it, especially after this story.

Steve

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
revo sorry to hear your story. I'm sure you backed into the Lotus because subconsciously you just wanted to help out your dad so it wouldn't just be his fault , What a good son you are! ;)
Anyway, take it from me ( I had a little mishap with my Elise that kept it away from me for about 5 weeks alltogether after just a week of ownership), its just a car, more important is that your parents were fine, they are the truly irrepleaceable ones!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Wow, that's a terrible story.

I know (from experience) that it doesnt take much to ruin wheels. One of the two times I let my mom borrow my celica (BTW, both times she damaged it), she dropped 2 wheels off the highway into a ditch. Both wheels and tires were destroyed. These were the stock GT-S 16" with 50 series tires. Why she ran off the road is beyond me.

My dad has always treated my cars with respect, and I his. And lucky for me, he's getting his own elise so he wont need to borrow mine as much :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yup all four wheels.

None of the wheels are bent, but they are all pretty scratched up. Some actually have chunks of metal missing from them. I imagine this is from where stones and debris dug in. There where actually rocks between the tire and the wheel that had to be pried out. All of the tires are still holding air, at least they were when I dropped the car off. The right rear diffuser is bent on the edge, but I think they can repair that. I wont know until later today. My parents feel horrible, they were over at my apt the other day and I have a background on my computer of the lotus on the flatbed when it arrived and my mom started to cry again :) My dad has just had bad luck with the Lotus, when I let him drive it the time before the wreck a stone flew up and hit the door taking a nice chip out of the paint. My bad luck car was an M-Coupe, it spent more time in the shop then in my driveway until I eventually delivered a fatal blow to it and killed it :( I am usually pretty cool about letting people drive my cars, but I am very glad that if this had to happen it happened with my parents. I would hate to think how this would have turned out if it was one of my friends or coworkers. My parents were also borrowing my Z4 which they promptly returned the next day :)

Oh, and I do not have the LSS just the touring.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I remember when I was about 21, just out of college, bought my first new car, a '92 Miata. I was living with my folks until I got on my feet. My Dad was cutting the grass and scratched the hell out of the fender. Man, was I PO'ed. These days, since I've mellowed with age, I think I'd react as you have, happy that your parents were safe. Hope they get it repaired like new. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
GatorFL said:
I remember when I was about 21, just out of college, bought my first new car, a '92 Miata. I was living with my folks until I got on my feet. My Dad was cutting the grass and scratched the hell out of the fender. Man, was I PO'ed. These days, since I've mellowed with age, I think I'd react as you have, happy that your parents were safe. Hope they get it repaired like new. Good luck.
Can't say that I have mellowed with age, I'm only 24, I have just learned to keep things bottled up. Makes things easier and keeps my therapist in work :) But thanks, I will keep everyone posted with how the repairs are going. I thought it was funny how in the earlier posts someone quoted 6k in repairs. I haven't even heard these details yet. When I get home I will post some pics of the damage.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts