The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,955 Posts
Do the LEDS only come on when the parking lights or headlights come on?

Or do they flash sequentially when the turn signal is put on, like the rear view mirrors ons on a Ford Explorer.

Why do we need these if the car already has a small side marker light anyway? Was this part of the US bumper exclusion exemption-
OK, we will let you not have bumpers, but you have to have these ugly reflectors instead. Watch it turn out that a DOT official is part owner of the reflector manufactuer company!

Maybe we should wait and see if Canada decides to import them and doesnst have such dumb laws then we can just buy them there.
 

·
insert clever title here
Joined
·
7,702 Posts
xxxotic said:
Why do we need these if the car already has a small side marker light anyway?
it's the law. You need amber reflectors at the front on the sides, red reflectors at the rear on the sides, and red reflectors on the rear facing rearwards.

The side marker lights are not required in the US, but are very wise additions to any car as they DO enhance safety on multi-lane roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
MattG said:
it's the law. You need amber reflectors at the front on the sides, red reflectors at the rear on the sides, and red reflectors on the rear facing rearwards.

The side marker lights are not required in the US, but are very wise additions to any car as they DO enhance safety on multi-lane roads.
I understand it's the law and required to have reflector (which in theory are easy to take off), but these freaking ugly things have lights and wires attached to them which are NOT required by law. There is no reason to have those hideous things on the Elise.

I'm way not impressed with them.:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Got to say, they look hideous. You need to careful with colour choice on the Elise too. Some colours just don't work too well with this shape. It's a personal thing though. I thoroughly recommend a viewing of the car in the flesh before you put your cash on the table though. To me the darker colours work better on the S2 Elise, where as lighter colours looked better on the S1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
I expect "show only" reflector replacements to be redily availble from 3rd partys. I don't like the way they look either and will remove them even if I need to make custome ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
I think the rear reflectors look naff. Upon getting up close to the car I noticed that the rear panel is molded to accept them. The car would then look worse if the rear reflectors were removed.

The side ones will clean up well with a black permanent marker if you choose a black machine. ;)
m.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
rjc said:
Got to say, they look hideous. You need to careful with colour choice on the Elise too. Some colours just don't work too well with this shape. It's a personal thing though. I thoroughly recommend a viewing of the car in the flesh before you put your cash on the table though. To me the darker colours work better on the S2 Elise, where as lighter colours looked better on the S1.
Rob.
At this point I don't even care what colour the car is.
Simply getting my hands one a car would be enough for me.
m.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
tidalwdave said:
I understand it's the law and required to have reflector (which in theory are easy to take off), but these freaking ugly things have lights and wires attached to them which are NOT required by law. There is no reason to have those hideous things on the Elise.
Actually, the federal regulations require side marker reflectors and lights. Most cars accommodate this by having the front and rear "running lights" (tail lights) on the outside edges, of the front and rear, such that the lights "wrap" around the sides and are visible from the sides (like the front markers lights on my Accord - and front & rear lights on my Ranger). Other cars have separate lights in the sides of the fender or bumper (such as my Elan).

To meet federal regulations, the Elise has to have side reflectors. It also has to have side lights which light up with the parking light circuit...

I can handle the side lights/reflectors without a problem. Might help the cell-phone using, SUV driving, soccer mom see my Elise. Besides, I don't think they will be that noticeable with the Chrome Orange paint...:D

Tim Mullen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
I always thought the reflectors were hideous, but when I saw the car in person, it really wasn't all that bad, especially because they are so low to the ground....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
I'm with Chris... happy to get the car here. Besides do you really think the guy you're passin' on the outside of a turn on the track will be lookin' at your Elise thinking "damn those reflectors are ugly!" :D

Kiyoshi
 

·
purveyor of lightness
Joined
·
4,080 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Depending on the color of the car the reflectors fade into the background. If these reflectors enable the car to be US compliant I have no probs with them>
Chris
I agree completely - but I'm getting Graphite Grey (or Titanium Silver is it looks like crap)... and I'm doing the following:

- Remove reflectors
- Clean reflectors
- Apply light spray coat of VHT NiteShades
- Let dry
- Apply light spray clear coat
- Let dry
- Reinstall reflectors

This will virtually eliminate the orange color but will maintain full functionality. The reflectors will have a mild metallic silver-grey color which will match silver -> black cars better.

Just my $0.02 as always...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Should the Europen clams fit on the Fed Elise? Sounds absurd but I'm thinking about putting the Euro clams on the Fed Elise. Keep the Fed clams as spares, or sell them. Don't want to go the route of removing the lights/filler/paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
The reflectors are really not that noticeable in person. Regardless, if you remove them, then I would recommend an orange flag on a fiberglass pole attached to the rear bumper, because this car is LOW. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
MOC, this thread is 8 months old. I think at this point, having actually seen the reflectors in person, most of us have changed our opinion of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,599 Posts
I saw a movie once where a lady got her 'reflector' shaved and filled. As I recall, she didn't pay a thing for the service.:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
transio said:
MOC, this thread is 8 months old. I think at this point, having actually seen the reflectors in person, most of us have changed our opinion of them.
Nope, I still hate them. I'm thinking I could try to live with them though. :(
 
21 - 40 of 86 Posts
Top