The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Amazingly, I really never even notice them, just aren't on the radar for me. I figure if these reflectors are the difference between having an elise and not, not a question.
Chris

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I don't think the reflectors are a huge distraction but I was thinking about removing them, taping the off, and spraying the surface with a model car spray tint. If done properly it should pretty much make them black, until lit up.

·
Registered
513 Posts
As someone previously said, I think it depends a lot on the color. I didn't really notice them on an ardent red car, but on saffron they really jumped out. The fact that they protrude out from the car and are not flush really jumped out at me.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I cant help noticing the small reflectors on the back of the car too.

I was driving down I-95 around 9PM towards Ft Lauderdale and was around Delray Beach and I saw a flatbed that has a car that was really low to the ground and had 2 reflectors on the back that were shining back at me that were next to were the exhaust area was. No license plate either... I thought to myself, could this be another Elise headed for a eBay auction, should I risk getting into an accident to see if I can open my glove box and see if I left my camera in there and snap a picture. Since its dark, will the flash distract the flatbed driver and cause an accident?

As I got within a few feet of the flatbed, I noticed it wasnt an Elise. The relectors were round instead of oval. It took me a second to realize what it was. I noticed a two hoop type rollbar on the back of the car, hmmmm.....could it be what I thought it was?

As I pulled alongside, I noticed it was indeed a new Porsche Carrera GT :cool: The dealer around me is only getting 3 for the year from what I've heard, but Champion Porsche near Coconut Creek sells the most Porches in the world(more at that one dealership that the total of all dealers in Canada) so maybe it was going there. Sorry didnt have the camera in the glove box so I cant post anything for Porchetalk.com to talk about.

Maybe Porsche drivers will see our rear reflectors at night and think that they are behind a Carrera GT

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Funny how the reflectors have become a non-issue amongst those who have their cars. I don't even notice them:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm with Chris on this one, I haven't really noticed them! Now that I ahve seen this post I think I'll go take a look. No forget it, they are just fine the way they are. AS someone else noted maybe is color related, on BRP they just aren't that noticeable.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
James A said:
AS someone else noted maybe is color related, on BRP they just aren't that noticeable.
I think it was just that in most of the pictures, the side and rear reflectors really stood out. Because they were doing their job and reflecting the flash from the cameras. In real life, you just don't notice them...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I feel safer driving at night with the reflectors. I wouldn't take a bike out at night without reflectors, so why would it be different for this little car? People have enough trouble seeing it as it is

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's funny, I didn't notice the reflectors at all while I was driving. And nobody who came up to talk to me about the car mentioned them being ugly.

Next time I get to see my car, I'll have to look at her while the lights are on. I never thought to do that before, I was just having too much fun driving.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,080 Posts
darkSol said:
I agree completely - but I'm getting Graphite Grey (or Titanium Silver is it looks like crap)... and I'm doing the following:

- Remove reflectors
- Clean reflectors
- Apply light spray coat of VHT NiteShades
- Let dry
- Apply light spray clear coat
- Let dry
- Reinstall reflectors

This will virtually eliminate the orange color but will maintain full functionality. The reflectors will have a mild metallic silver-grey color which will match silver -> black cars better.

Just my $0.02 as always...
Just to resurrect an old thread... I have a new can of NiteShades on it's way - should be here tonight/tomorrow (along with Eco's HID kit) and will post pictures before / along the way / when they're done!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
darkSol said:
Just to resurrect an old thread... I have a new can of NiteShades on it's way - should be here tonight/tomorrow (along with Eco's HID kit) and will post pictures before / along the way / when they're done!
Great; Thanks. Please also let us know how difficult removal/reinstallation is. Looking forward to your pics.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Personally, I'd love to mold a set of SY reflectors that would blend in with my car's color better. Anyone have any idea how I could do this and what I could expect in terms of cost?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I like the car I bought.

Reflectors look great. I like how they follow the wheel arch and arn't just some ugly rectangular reflectors near the wheel. :up:

I also like the black waffel grill. :up:

Keep up the good design Lotus! :) :up:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The only reflectors I plan to replace are the doofy ones on the doors when you open them (inside). The rest 'm not crazy about, but I rarely even think about them these days...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
doma said:
I like the car I bought.

Reflectors look great. I like how they follow the wheel arch and aren't just some ugly rectangular reflectors near the wheel. :up:

I also like the black waffle grill. :up:

Keep up the good design Lotus! :) :up:
Yep. What he said...:up:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Surferjer said:
The only reflectors I plan to replace are the doofy ones on the doors when you open them (inside). The rest 'm not crazy about, but I rarely even think about them these days...
Why would you even care about them?:confused: When the door is closed, you don't see them. When the door is open, they are a nice big reflector that just might help keep someone from hitting the open door...:confused:

41 - 60 of 86 Posts