The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a trip, 400+ miles each way, last week with the wife. She made a comment on the way back that her feet felt water drops on them from front of footwell on occassion.

It was pretty hot out, mid 90's though pretty overcast and VERY humid. AC worked fine on the trip though after a few hours driving seemed to work less well than at the beginning BUT not sure if that was due to time driving or outside temp/humidity.

I had recently replaced all the carpet and had some water in passenger side but I had fixed that as I had not gotten the drain hose in passenger footwell toward far forward left in the hole so it went outside the car.

Is this normal? i.e. condensation in that area due to high humidity coupled with high temps and long drive with windows closed? Had a 1965 mustang years ago which that happened due to condensation inside the cabin...

Pulled floor mat, used towel to get most of moisture out and now have a couple DampRid buckets in the car...

When I say wet, I wouldnt say sopping standing water but nonetheless reasonably squishy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Condensate drain tube came undone and leaking in the cabin?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
On my car the condensate pan doesn't drain that well. So there is always some water in there when the A/C is on. This cold water can actually cause condensation on the outside of the pan, and it drips on occasion.

BTW another source of drips (a bit farther towards the passenger, a little bit to the right) is the A/C lines themselves, just behind where the glovebox/passenger airbag is. I insulated mine with that tar-like wrapping that they use on pipes.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes as Atwell said it's condensation from the ac lines to and from the evaporator.
Try to add some AC cork tape insulation and cover the lines and expansion valve as much as you can. Cork Tape by VALUE BRAND - A/C Refrigeration Accessories at Zoro

Do make sure the condensate tube is draining well which is easy to tell as you should have a pretty steady drip on the ground directly under the forward part of the passenger foot when it's been operating a while in the heat.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I just drove back from LOG in my SE and I went through a lot of rain... I went to fish something out of the glovebox upon my return to find everything in there was pretty soggy. I wasn't using AC much so I'm thinking this was all rainwater... but how is it getting into the GLOVEbox??

·
Read Only
470 Posts
Was the car parked for a while nose down? There are no drains to the front around the sunroof only to the back. Water can slowly seep around the underside of the seal and end up in the glove box. Happened to me. This is the first time I have ever seen this mentioned. I can't believe it's not more common.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
Parking the Esprit with the nose UP during rainstorms is a 'thing' that owners should get in the habit of doing. Yes, water can and WILL enter through the 'blade' receivers for the roof panel. It is NOT uncommon.

The factory actually had a TSB about this issue when the cars were new. Their solution was to first coat the blades with a thin smear of grease, then pack the receiver slots with BetaSeal or some other RTV.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It was parked "flat" the whole trip. Not too many hills in Indiana and Ohio! But most of the rain was when I was driving, so idk.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
If your windshield was even replaced, I suppose the perimeter sealant could have a gap that would have allowed water to come in.

Those WERE heavy sustained storms, even my car had a bit of dampness in one corner of the trunk floor.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If your windshield was even replaced, I suppose the perimeter sealant could have a gap that would have allowed water to come in.

Those WERE heavy sustained storms, even my car had a bit of dampness in one corner of the trunk floor.
Not sure if it was ever replaced, but there does look to be some small gaps in the upper corners of the glass; the black trim has split. I'm going to put some clear sealant in there and see if that makes a difference.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
The black trim is supposed to have no bearing on weather-sealing. It is truly a 'Finisher'.

The window glass glue is supposed to be the seal.

My top windshield finisher/trim strip flew off at speed at Talladega and I suffered no leaks during the rainy drive home. Even before, my OEM trim had 1/2" gaps on either top corner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts