The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
_JD_ said:

I think on the whole though, Gurney had more experience racing against Lotus' than racing in them.
Gurney was instrumental in getting Chapman matched up to Ford to go racing at Indy with a Ford engine in the back of a Lotus.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
khamai said:
Gurney was instrumental in getting Chapman matched up to Ford to go racing at Indy with a Ford engine in the back of a Lotus.
I did'nt know that particular connection, but the majority of his actual racing was not done in a Lotus. I believe he won Le Mans in a GT 40, and most of his success was found behind the wheels of McLarens, his own Eagles, and Brabhams.

·
Registered
100 Posts
LeMans Victory

Gurney not only won LeMans, he started the tradition of victory champage spraying by doing it there for the very first time! :cool:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Another Gurney story: according to him, during the early stages of his driving career, as he was beginning to be known in racing circles, he was summoned to Scuderia Ferrari for a test. He was nervous, and so the night before he asked some of the local "old hands" who were hanging around the same hotel where he was staying for any tips that he should keep in mind before he went out to show Enzo Ferrari what he could do. They looked at him wisely and said something like:

"Oh yes. You must go very fast, but don't make any mistakes."

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I'm resurrecting this old thread 'cause I saw this youtube video of Gurney's Lotus 19 powered by Ford:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sbjEeWYsb8Y

As for starting the Champagne spraying tradition at LeMans, this is my favorite pic of that moment:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts