The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe someone else thought of that already.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
mostlikely they are are restricting any username with google in it.
I'm sure you can't have usernames with swearwords, either.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mostlikely they are are restricting any username with google in it.
I'm sure you can't have usernames with swearwords, either.
I'd have to jump through some hoops to prove it but if anyone doesn't yet have a gmail account, a simple test would be to try 89googlebeg34xy or something like that. eg, something with google but nonsensical.

Having spent a good deal of the last decade thinking of clever email addresses, I doubt this one is blocked. Point of reference, back in the early days of yahoo, you could not get an address that didn't have your name in it. I don't remember what I was trying to get, but for illustrative purposes, let's say it was "[email protected]". Yahoo said it was not available. So I changed my actual name to Something Clever and voila, the email address was suddenly available.

For anyone who doesn't get it, the email address I tried to get here was "Google begat gmail.com" Clever enough to think it would not be in use, but I was wrong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nope, not taken:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please
550-5.1.1 try double-checking the recipient's email address for typos
550-5.1.1 or unnecessary spaces. Learn more at
550 5.1.1 Help Center - 'This Gmail user does not exist...' 9si2024074agc.4 (state 14).

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, not taken:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please
550-5.1.1 try double-checking the recipient's email address for typos
550-5.1.1 or unnecessary spaces. Learn more at
550 5.1.1 Help Center - 'This Gmail user does not exist...' 9si2024074agc.4 (state 14).
Yup. I was wrong. I actually did try again later that day with ridiculous user names with the word google hidden in them somewhere. They all failed.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds more like you're begging google than the clever address you'd hoped... I don't think many would get the joke.
That's highly possible. Though it's easier to get when you read the email address quickly than to see it separated into a user name separately.

The one guy I told about it being taken at work got it immediately. But I work with geeks and it's typical geek humor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts