1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's official, Dany is gone...

CEO Dany Bahar kicked out of Group Lotus - Autoweek

From the article:
Dany Bahar has been dismissed as CEO of Group Lotus, a couple of weeks after he was put on suspension by the new Malaysian owners.

Bahar came to Lotus after a roller-coaster career that saw him have involvements on the commercial and marketing side of Sauber, Red Bull and Ferrari.

Bahar employed several former Ferrari contacts in key positions and instigated a number of motor-racing programs at Lotus, including the sponsorship of the Formula One team that shares the name—which was terminated for this year—plus the disastrous IndyCar involvement. He also kick-started a hugely ambitious road-car development schedule.

Since the takeover the company had been subject to due diligence and a lockdown on spending.
A statement from the company said: “The decision was made by the board of Group Lotus plc following the results of an investigation into a complaint made against him by the company’s penultimate holding company, DRB-HICOM Berhad.”

Aslam Farikullah has become the company’s chief operating officer effective immediately.

I know he's taken a beating but I certainly don't think this is good news. While his plans were very ambitious it was nice to seem them try to move the brand/company forward. I fear we're nearing the end of Lotus Cars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I propose in honor of this grand news, that the image of the Bahar models in the right of the Lotustalk banner be removed and replaced with something more appropriate ... an Esprit, Colin Chapman, anything.

All in favor?

:wave:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
No matter what you think of him, this is obviously not good news for the company. It's going to get rocky.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
A JPS 72? and '65 Indy car? Something showing the racing heritage.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'd be in for that too as I think it's pretty unlikely at this point that we'll ever see the new models. I sure hope I'm wrong...

·
Registered
7,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Good, now lets hope the direction is one of reality not fiction.

1. Remain focused on lightweight cars that make good daily drivers (yes they need to be a little bigger, at least Miata sized)
2. Don't ignore the American market (yes we're fat, lazy, demanding, and righteous)
3. Make the base models MUCH cheaper $30K range
4. Charge thru the nose for "options" (just like Porsche/BMW etc.) and provide many options (this is where the real profit margins begin)
5. Keep the exotic look but dump the "stickers" and give it some class
6. Get the company profitable before making big plans to change the world
7. Don't hire a Marketing guy as CEO
8. Acknowledge you still have a loyal customer base and reach out to them rather than push them away, get them involved even if it's just superficial

Look at Porsche, base model Cayman is $51,900 ... the Cayman R is $66,300 ... now go equip that Cayman R with options (almost everything is an option) ... Lightweight battery is $1700 option (yes you read that right), Bi-Xenon headlights $1560, rear wiper $360, dimming mirrors $690, mirror attachment point finishers painted $500, aluminium finish fuel cap $160, sport exhaust $2810, sport shifter $765 or the doppelkupplung $3660, ceramic brakes $8150, AC $1760, interior design package $1190, Sport seat backrests $1580, silver grey seat belts $340, heated seats $525, rear luggage partition $270, navigation system $3455, interior leather for steering wheel, column, defrosters, A-pillar, sun visor $3000+

So where does that put me with a "base model" Cayman R at $66,300 ... wait for it ... drum roll ... $109,820

Lotus ... you see how that happened? That's how you turn a profit.

Rob

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Agreed.
You can still make a reasonable profit in this price segment without having to resort going head to head with Ferrari, Lamborghini , Aston Martin..... OR building SUV's, 4-door sedans and City Cars.

vincesf

Good, now lets hope the direction is one of reality not fiction.

1. Remain focused on lightweight cars that make good daily drivers (yes they need to be a little bigger, at least Miata sized)
2. Don't ignore the American market (yes we're fat, lazy, demanding, and righteous)
3. Make the base models MUCH cheaper $30K range
4. Charge thru the nose for "options" (just like Porsche/BMW etc.) and provide many options (this is where the real profit margins begin)
5. Keep the exotic look but dump the "stickers" and give it some class
6. Get the company profitable before making big plans to change the world
8. Acknowledge you still have a loyal customer base and reach out to them rather than push them away, get them involved even if it's just superficial

Look at Porsche, base model Cayman is $51,900 ... the Cayman R is $66,300 ... now go equip that Cayman R with options (almost everything is an option) ... Lightweight battery is $1700 option (yes you read that right), Bi-Xenon headlights $1560, rear wiper $360, dimming mirrors $690, mirror attachment point finishers painted $500, aluminium finish fuel cap $160, sport exhaust $2810, sport shifter $765 or the doppelkupplung $3660, ceramic brakes $8150, AC $1760, interior design package $1190, Sport seat backrests $1580, silver grey seat belts $340, heated seats $525, rear luggage partition $270, navigation system $3455, interior leather for steering wheel, column, defrosters, A-pillar, sun visor $3000+

So where does that put me with a "base model" Cayman R at $66,300 ... wait for it ... drum roll ... $109,820

Lotus ... you see how that happened? That's how you turn a profit.

Rob

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I shook my head the first instant I saw this. Some foreigner was going to take over Lotus and try to make it an English Ferrari? Formula for ruin.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I shook my head the first instant I saw this. Some foreigner was going to take over Lotus and try to make it an English Ferrari? Formula for ruin.
"everyone" saw the inevitable, except for a couple people at lotus... anyways - he got his couple mil and walked away... enough to live off for the rest of the year until his father in law finds him another sucker.

even the danny fan boys here had fallen away from the faith...

finally, an end to the madness and attempt to bankrupt lotus once and for all.

i feel really sorry for the employees and their families that had to suffer due to mis guided ego. i hope the factory can get back on track now and that the damage he left behind is not as severe as it seems.

not surprisingly.... jalopnik has THE BEST article on the news:
Lotus Finally Simplifies And Adds Lightness, Fires CEO

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
For starters, scrap the "cheesy" looking new apparel and boutique and return to the Lorus Sport design apparel. Then, scrap the heavy metal bodied testosterone/Lamborghini clone lineup and build a new lightweight composite bodied Esprit basd on the Evora platform and a new Elise on a downsized version of the same platform.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts