The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I did a search "Dash cam" and had 587 hits all sorts of stuff, if there is a thread with a lot of this kind of info. Sorry

I've been thinking about get a couple of these?

BlackVue DR500GW-HD-32GB Wi-Fi Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder with Full HD, G Sensor, GPS Tracking

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-DR500GW-HD-32GB-Recorder-Sensor-Tracking/dp/B00DRE8AWG[/ame]

In case of a accident, the he said she said. People keying vehicles, people making you have a accident on purpose, road rage.

Does anybody have one they like? How much? Where you got it? How long have you had it? Any issues?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Reasons for dash cam

I had a incident in 2006, and I called the insurance company right away all out of my mind. And I guess the way I explained the accident it came out like I was at fault. And my insurance company was going to pay for the A holes damage. So I had to go back and take pictures of where and how it happened and write a report on what really went down. And the insurance company ended up saying no fault and he had to pay for his own damages.

But he really forced me into the curb and hit the side of his car in the process cause he didn't want me to pass him on the right. When I got out and yelled at him for WTF did he think he was doing he replied he didn't like how close I was when I was following him and he was brake checking me and when I went to pass by him in the right merge lane and he ran into the side of me before I could get by him. It was so surreal I couldn't believe it. A lady LEO responded and said "it seemed like too much testosterone played the cause" :confused: I think if he had done that to a girl she wouldn't have been so blasé about it.

Anyways if I had a dash cam, I think the outcome could have been much different that kid used his mommies vehicle as a assault weapon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Blackvue 550 with front and rear cams, you can connect it with power magic so you can utilise the parking mode safely without fearing of drained battery

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the g1w above. Bought it on eBay from eprance. It wasn't as compact as I wanted it to be, so I put it in my DD. As far as functionality, it works great, no hiccups.

My Evora has the mini 801 dash cam. I like it a lot, it is very discreet. My passengers don't even realize it's there unless I tell them about it. It has also been working flawlessly too.

If I remember, I'll take some photos this afternoon of both units.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
G1W is the best value, they say under 60bucks, just doesn't have GPS or parking mode :(

It's too bad it seems like only China, Korea, and Russia make these.

Hey Tachitup that link isn't active, I'm looking it up on that comparison site.

Bum good info

Thanks

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
G1W is the best value, they say under 60bucks, just doesn't have GPS or parking mode :(

It's too bad it seems like only China, Korea, and Russia make these.

Hey Tachitup that link isn't active, I'm looking it up on that comparison site.

Bum good info

Thanks
Weird. Go to FoxOffer - Wholesale, OEM, Drop shipping from China directly and just search G1W-C. I went with the capacitor model since it doesn't use batteries, which makes it much less likely to explode in really hot weather. The capacitors stay charged long enough to roll another 5 seconds of video after power is cut, so that's good enough for me. The batteries in the other models are horrible - I think they'll give you maybe 5 minutes of recording time, so it's not like you'll be missing out on much.

I bought the $2 rearview mirror mounting kit, but I don't think it will work on our cars after looking at the mirror. I'm going to try to mount it on the long bolt left behind when I took the sun visors off and then run cable to the passenger fuse box.

They also need either a class 4 or 6 SD cards. People have been having issues with class 10 cards.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I bought a G1W-C last week ($65 shipped) and I'll let you guys know how it works. Apparently it's the best budget cam out right now. Supposedly the ones on amazon are fakes, but foxoffer is a legitimate reseller

G1W Full HD 1080P Vehicle Blackbox DVR No battery [G1W-C]FoxOffer - Wholesale, OEM, Drop shipping from China directly
Do you intend to hardwire it, or plug it in with the lighter adaptar? Do you need to be a seperate power wire if you plan to hardwire it?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Do you intend to hardwire it, or plug it in with the lighter adaptar? Do you need to be a seperate power wire if you plan to hardwire it?
I'm going to attempt to hard wire. From what I understand, you just cut the supplied power cord at the car adapted end. I THINK that there is just a power and ground wire inside. I'll route the ground to a screw underneath the console somewhere, and I'll use an add-a-fuse kit to the passenger fuse block for power.

It looks like you also will need a 12v to 5v converter if you want to hardwire.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The technology in this segment changes very quickly, so anything that was bee's knees a year ago is now out of date. It is important to recognize this if you are new to the topic and don't already.

Knowing what I know now after having spent some time living with my dashcams and seeing how they work in my world, if I were in the market at the moment, this is what I would do:

1) Get the mini 0801 with GPS and the largest capacity class 6 card I can afford and which it can accept. I would put that facing forward on the windshield behind the rearview mirror. Use cable management and run the cables neatly.

2) Get the mobius as a second camera and mount it at the back window such that I can choose if I want it pointed to the rear or over my shoulder at will. Run the cable unobtrusively down the center console toward the front of car.

3) Get the BlackVue Power Magic Pro Dual model and mount that (hardwired to power source) under the dash near the OBDII interface or other unobtrusive location which is still easily accessible to flip on or off and powers both devices.

At present, my current hardware is functioning well and meeting my needs so I'm not making any changes. There is a small part of me that wishes one of my devices would break, though, and give me an excuse to update to the above-mentioned config.

P.S. Please keep in mind that I'm describing the set up I would do in an Elise. May have to put the PMP dual device in a different spot in a different model.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the time and inputs

The ClubFrontier forum site has a thanks button and a like button on each post. I wonder if Lotus talk is or can look into something like that?

Tach thanks for the pictures of those radioshack tasty bits

:UK:

I ordered one of these yesterday after looking over the Dash cam Talk site

Car Black Box Panoramaii Full HD Sony CMOS LCD English Russian GPS No SD Card | eBay

I'll see how it goes

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use one from DVRyourCar ? Home and it has recently saved me. Long story short, I was heading straight in attempt to make a right hand turn. A parked Prius signaled left and pulled out of his parking spot without looking and hit my quarter panel. Without the dash cam, the pics look like I cut him off. The dash cam footage clearly showed he signaled left and pulled out. I filed a claim with his insurance and forwarded the link to the video, the next day the claim was settled in my favor.

I just bought 2 more for my other cars, I have it tapped to my cigarette lighter fuse

1 - 14 of 14 Posts