The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a couple folks here have had the instrument cluster replaced. Please describe the symptoms that led up to it. I am experiencing an increasing "blackout" of all lights and it has happened a dozen or so times now and clock no longer works. It now seems that trip odometer stops registering when lights go out.
My dealership is aware and just wanted to back this up with similarities of other's symptoms to help them. Want to differentiate between a "loose" harness plug or a true failure scenario which I think I am experiencing.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
This has happened to me twice. last time was last week. got in the car to take a drive and no guages or consel controls or signals. I plugged in my OBD reader, but get no trouble codes. Left the OBD reader in so I could at least display my tack and speedo to my iphone.
Drove the car for about 15 min when everything just "woke up" after making a spirited turn. I'm assuming a a loose connection or a broken solder joint somewhere:shrug:
Dealer is really no help. i get a lot of TADTS.
So I guess this is a problem I will just try to troubleshot myself.
Now if I could only find the steering wheel parts to fix my loose steering wheel. another thing my dealer gives me a :tadts:
Already fixed the cruise control myself.

i guess you may be getting that my Lotus dealer experience has been less stellar:DV:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
It happened to me once, but specifically because I had my OBD plugged in. Apparently the dash gets its data from the same source. It probably is a loose connector.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I have 2 votes for connections. Next obvious question. Where should I look?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My dash was replaced, for a faulty clock. It could not keep time. That was my only problem. Now the clock works just fine.
Ron:clap:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Everything going out at once and coming back on at once could be a symptom of a bad connection to the main harness. A relatively easy fix.

A clock that no longer works or a trip meter that resets itself, however, could not be due to connection problems between the instrument unit and the main harness, at least not that I can explain.

I'm going to make two related guesses. First is that the instrument cluster contains a battery or battery. Second is that the battery or batteries in yours is/are bad.

A failed battery will result in a clock that can't keep time and a trip meter that zeroes each time main power is cut. It could also cause the power cut, depending on how the circuit is configured.

You're going to drive yourself nuts tracing the wiring harness (hint: there's no "clock" circuit) and a dealer mechanic has not a prayer of successfully diagnosing this problem during business hours. Easiest solution, if you're under warranty, is to get a new instrument unit.

If you're not under warranty, you're going to have to get clever with small screwdrivers and a soldering iron. But if you were the kind of mechanic who could easily handle that sort of task, you wouldn't be asking these questions here. (No offense.)

One of these days one of us will be the first to disassemble a malfunctioning instrument pod, but don't put yourself through that unless you're a serious tinkerer.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you with the electrical's Hethel! Not my thing. Unless I'm given an easy way to the main connector (ie plug) this is a dealer help item

Similar to my Elise. Yesterday I embarked on the thermostat replacement journey only to say to myself, why?? I'll let Waldir at Intermeccanic fix it. Also after 8 yrs of track duty, its time top let a professional check belts, hoses, suspension, oil lines etc. No matter how good you are, there comes a time to let independent (trustworthy) ie do a safety check.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
My cluster was changed twice.

The first time was blinker lights that kept blinking.

The second time, the airbag light was constantly illuminated and the clock stopped working (and I thought the earth has stopped spinning, surreal stuff).:p

Everything works now.

Btw, just a quick note, the mileage is now burned into the ECU or somewhere. So no need to update the mileage on the door jam ala Elige.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My airbag light is also on now. Sounds like a new cluster to me.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
My cluster was out again today when I went to drive the car. All i have to do is take a quick turn and everything pops back on:huh:

Something is loose somewhere:thwack:

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ground issue??

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Over weekend I pulled the cover off the dash and checked the plugs to the dash. If I touched the right plug, dash went out and back on. Once I firmly pushed in the plug lights have been perfect since and clock even works fine now!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Over weekend I pulled the cover off the dash and checked the plugs to the dash. If I touched the right plug, dash went out and back on. Once I firmly pushed in the plug lights have been perfect since and clock even works fine now!
Great to hear. Another seemingly common issue traced to a simple cause.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Airbag light still exists but Im sure that will be found soon also. Probably from dash removal, reinstalls.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
does anyone know which fuse controls the dash lights?

I'm off today but a friend is inquiring.

Thx

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hey - just had this happen on mine today. Any chance you remember/can elaborate on which parts of the dash you disassembled (whole dash?) and which connectors to look at? "Glad" to hear that it's a semi-common issue. Did it ever come back on you after this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts