The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I bought a 2006 Elise. I noticed that the interior smelled musty but I didn't really think too much about it. :shift:

Today, I was in the process of replacing the front speakers with 5.25" ones using Jim Clayton's adapter rings and the terrible Blaupunkt head unit with a new Pioneer one when I noticed something odd -- behind the dash there appeared to be some kind of weird insulation. Now I'm not a contractor or anything but I hadn't seen any insulation like this, there were bits of paper towels and stuff in the mix. That's when I found two mice, strangely very well preserved...
:sad:

I'm obviously pretty upset, since now there's a long process to clean this out. What's weird though is that these mice seem to not be decayed at all. Also, there isn't any mouse poop to speak of.

So, the question I have for you: Is there supposed to be insulation behind the receiver, or was this all a mouse nest?

Premium Member
The mice were left there by the python that lives in the under tray of the car. He's not going to be happy when he sees his dinner has gone missing?
I had a mouse chew through the starter button wires. Found it during pre track day inspection. ?
Here are some pics of what I found. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1395032922.240136.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1395032958.685073.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1395033019.277820.jpg
Bastards!

As to your question, I'm not sure if there's insulation behind the receiver, but paper towels certainly doesn't seem normal, does it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Premium Member
Sounds like swamp rats! Vietnam swamp rats! I saw one in a C130 the size of a dog once.

There are many ways into a Lotus from the outside if you are a mouse. Many people have had this problem. A lot of Elise's smell musty my wifes does too because Loti leak. I swear these cars were meant to be hermetically sealed. I am amazed they were designed in England. When I was stationed there had a car I kept outside and it turned green.

I would say pull some of it out and inspect it, with gloves on. If it looks like rat, it is rat, your screwed already, so clean it up as best you can. Your not the only one in this boat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Any tips on making things smell fresh again?

I guess this is a good opportunity to reupholster the interior with leather :)

Premium Member
I have no Idea..............Sorry.

With AC on we don't smell it, only with heat and my wife farts a lot so I don't notice!

We track and Autox both our cars a lot, to busy driving for Leather.

shay2nak
I haven't driven my car for like 6 weeks. Hopefully I won't have this problem.

Registered

Registered
Seriously, the only way to clean up is to clean up. Take off the dash top and check if what the critters left behind. From there they have access to the spaces under the sills. There is a fair amount of ductwork snaking around back there but it seems sealed up well enough. I finally solved my problem (which was admittedly a bit unique) by locating a box section piece of the tub that supports the dash and drilling a 3/4 inch hole in its bottom to let the pieces of dog food carried by the mouse fall out. No smells, no must.

On the subject of must, it's not in the leather, it's in the carpet. Pull it out, it's held on by velcro , and just leave it out-- looks better that way anyways-- and replace with S111 rubber mats.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Seriously, the only way to clean up is to clean up. Take off the dash top and check if what the critters left behind. From there they have access to the spaces under the sills. There is a fair amount of ductwork snaking around back there but it seems sealed up well enough. I finally solved my problem (which was admittedly a bit unique) by locating a box section piece of the tub that supports the dash and drilling a 3/4 inch hole in its bottom to let the pieces of dog food carried by the mouse fall out. No smells, no must.

On the subject of must, it's not in the leather, it's in the carpet. Pull it out, it's held on by velcro , and just leave it out-- looks better that way anyways-- and replace with S111 rubber mats.
Which carpets are you referring to? Thanks for your help.

Closer than you think
A couple of years ago when I uncovered my Elise and took it out of its long winter hibernation I pulled it out onto my rural driveway and fired up the engine. When I got out of the car I noticed a pile of dog food blown down the drive behind the car. Obviously some critter had crawled up the tail pipe and made a stash! Thankfully I found no evidence of intrusion elsewhere.

Registered
Which carpets are you referring to? Thanks for your help.
Assuming you have the touring pack, there is carpeting on the sides of the tub and behind the seats. I removed al the strips on the side and some in the back. Replaced the mats, which are made out of a woven material with the rubber mats from S111. That was done more for aesthetics in my case, but now there is virtually nothing in my cabin that can't be dried with a towel.

Gamera The Atomic Turtle
here kitty kitty...mousey mousey...

Attachments

Gamera The Atomic Turtle
A couple of years ago when I uncovered my Elise and took it out of its long winter hibernation I pulled it out onto my rural driveway and fired up the engine. When I got out of the car I noticed a pile of dog food blown down the drive behind the car. Obviously some critter had crawled up the tail pipe and made a stash! Thankfully I found no evidence of intrusion elsewhere.
steel wool plug in the tail pipe can help block this ingress point.

Registered
Thanks guys. Any tips on making things smell fresh again?

I guess this is a good opportunity to reupholster the interior with leather :)
Mine always smells great with the top off:)

My mouse strategy.

1) Outside cat that is never over fed.
2) Bucket traps I made with the kids as a craft project in garage.
3) Seal up any access points to the garage.
4) Leave hoods up and inspect often.

Two summers ago I caught 16 mice in my shop over the summer. Since "The Cat" I've only caught one in the last year. I'm not a cat guy, but this cat is hard on the rodents.

Gamera The Atomic Turtle
imo, the cat pulls its weight, including vet's fees.

Registered
imo, the cat pulls its weight, including vet's fees.
Vet? I just get over the counter worm meds for my rodent terminator. It's like having a rodent assassin on duty. Sometimes we get some collateral damage of songbirds which i dislike.

Premium Member
as for the odor, check out this product call "Earth Care" odor removing bag. I'm sure there's a lot of other options as well...

Registered
Had the same problem a couple of years ago. Take off the dash, use a vinegar/water solution to clean up the urine/mouse poop trails, and then go over it with Lysol wipes. A box of baking soda in the dash for a month took care of the rest of the smell. The key is to clean up the urine. That's what seems to smell the most at least in my case.

Corvus

Relapsing Honda fan
Yes, the urine is what really smells. We've had people bring us several cars that have served as a mouse house, you MUST remove all traces of bedding from the hvac system or every time the vents are used it will smell again so pull the dash & ductwork and hopefully they didn't get into the blower assembly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts