The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I HAVE searched all over and not found the interior mods I am looking to do. I want to have the parts of the dash that have the texture of the leather on the seats, wheels, and inner door pannels match my red interior.

Has anyone done this?

Any advice?

Thanks
X

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
No I HAVE searched all over and not found the interior mods I am looking to do. I want to have the parts of the dash that have the texture of the leather on the seats, wheels, and inner door pannels match my red interior.

Has anyone done this?

Any advice?

Thanks
X
I haven't done this, although I have read about folks covering the dash in Alcantera (sp?). I think that should be available in red. Of course this isn't the texture of the seats, but there is also a thread on here somewhere about a company that has been covering people's console in leather and the results looked quite good. I imagine that they could do the dash too, although the cost and time it would take is anyone's guess.

I'll see if I can find a link to the thread.

On a side note, are you feeling better?

Edit: I think this is the one I was thinking of. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53579 check out the #13 post too.

Joe

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was not thinking of leather covering. I have seen plenty of that. All the locals in Tampa that do interiors speak of a dye/paint proscess. None of what I have found here is what I am looking to do.

Again I did search this and if I am correct in comparing my findings I am looking to do something not yet covered on the forums here. Now the closest I have seen was the QUITE SEXY repaints on the rocker covers as well as the center consoles and radio surrounds. I just wish to do that to the textured parts of the dash and the rockers in a color that matches the interior, though I may go with a more standard red on the rocker covers to match the logo of another car club I am in.

The trim shop does excellent stuff, I have just not seen what I have been looking for there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, but asking from folks who may know someone who has done that and has an opinion about it good or bad is key. I was wondering if anyone else did anything of the sort except leather. Once the parts are off and painted/dyed it's too late to see someone post "hey that fades, bubbles, wears or chips off in a year." and decide to not do it.

That said I need to look to see the cost of the parts and if it is within reason to buy them, have that done, and have them installed keeping the originals for a bit to be sure it takes well before selling them as is to someone else with similar plans.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Got it. I knew I was missing something basic in your question. I've not seen, nor heard of, anyone that has done what you are looking at doing.

You may be surprised at the cost of replacements for some of those parts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was considering an Elise with a tan interior, but I really wanted black. I called an auto interior custom shop and asked how feasible it would be to dye the tan leather black on the door panels and the seats. They said they would not recommend it because the dye would fade and the original color would also show through on the wear-areas. I dont think you'd have to worry about the wear-n-tear issue on the dash, since nothing really rubs against it normally-- but the fading issue might still be a problem since the dash will get bombarded with sunlight. Just my .02, hope it helps.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I re-dyed the dash of an old car I had one time. It was a maroon color. It was fine and didn't fade in the 6 or 7 additional years I had the car. I used a product that I got from an autobody supply store. It was made by PPG, and had color charts just like paint does. They mixed it with whatever pigments and it was made to spray out of an autobody gun. It was very thin and was some kind of dye. I don't think it had to be mixed with anything else but it was over 10 years ago that I did it. Could of been 2 parts but I don't remember. It came in the type of can that looks like the type reducer usually comes in.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
PPG I will see if that is what they want to use.

I will be excited to show off some shots when it's completed.

Thank you.
Good luck with that. IMO, I'd rather do leather or alcantara. It'll make the interior look richer. Just look at an Elise California. Some of the stuff in it I could do without, but it does make the interior more in-line with the exterior.

Honestly, when I first got in an Elise, I thought the interior looked cheap. Thankfully, the car's good enough to overlook that (actually, to overlook lots of stuff:)). But, if it were me and I were doing it, I'd go all the way or not at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts