The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has one pop off, have any luck getting it back on?

I have tried a number of times with no success.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Randy,
Try this: Remove all speaker grilles, remove all speakers, remove radio, fill speaker holes with black or silver anodized aluminum or natural titanium plates, fill radio void with a Boxster rectangular wallet cubby. Wrap components in packing bubble wrap and put in appropriatley labeled cardboard box. Store in a dry place.
Drink a beer & call it a day :clap:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
PBMC ordered new speakers and grills for my car because both popped off and won't go back in. The new speakers came in but not the grills! so they haven't changed a thing!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Even the speaker grills on my Europa stayed on! I've never had a problem with the speaker grills on my Caterham Seven!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Speaker Grills

Hey Randy, I had the exact same thing happen to me earlier this week. The LOA service department ordered me a whole new speaker under warranty. You may want to do the same, to avoid the hassel of fixing it yourself.

Kam

·
Registered
687 Posts
One of my speaker covers popped off. At first, I had trouble putting it back on. The cover is bendable metal, so with some minor bending, I was able to put it back on. I don't see why you need the speakers replaced under warranty.

Aren't they supposed to be able to be removed? How else are you going to be able to access the screws that hold the speakers?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine will not go on cleanly. I have tried a number of times. Right now it's jammed on, but sticks up a lot higher than it used to.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Mine partially popped off as well. I was able to push them back in but, and I know this sounds anal, the blaupunk logos are now in different locations and it drives me nuts. Also they are now tilted at slightly odd angles:rolleyes:

Thank god this isn't my first Lotus, or british car for that matter, otherwise I'd be flip'n

Robert

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mine didn't go on cleanly either at first. There was always one "corner" that wouldn't go in. It was really frustrating. I thought I could just bend a little here and there. The metal edge is pretty firm, but it is bendable. I ended up bending a little around the entire circumference. Then it was able to snap in.

When I first put it back in, the Blaupunkt logo was tilted as well. Popped it out and back in a couple times to get it aligned again.

I'm guessing they eventually pop out because of the speaker vibrations--you gotta turn up the bass since there is no bass! :p I'm thinking about upgrading the speakers.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
what is the speaker diameter?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
A screw that holds my speakers in was missing, but the dealer said that the speaker was warped and that Lotus knows about it. They said it is mainly in the south due to the hot weather. They said they have already ordered me a new one since the cover popped off too and said that Blaupaunkt will be fixing this problem. I think they have a differant or revised speaker or cover that doesnt pop off that they are sending out to dealers. In any case they put the loose scew in the cubbyhole by driver, so know I know what was causing that rattle.

The dealer said they were originally going to install speakers from another car line they carried that would fit in order to solve my problem (maybe Jaquar or Aston Martin) but Lotus said that they would only cover it under warrantee if they used the Blaupaunkt ones. I'd hate to even guess what Aston Martin must speakers go for.

Heres my theory-My car was delivered on Friday, and I picked it up on Tuesday, and has barely been out in the sun, so I think it is a temperature thing, not a sun damage problem. Maybe it is cold in the UK when the install the grill covers, the heat expands the covers in the shipping container and they just fall off.

Luminator will have to test this for me by seeing if the covers are off in Texas when he gets his car and can go back easily in Alaska

1 - 13 of 13 Posts