The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there are a few threads about the subject I'd like to highlight one common source that was driving me nuts.:scratchhead:

The Evora dashboard is attached to the chassis at the front end through two pins only (#38 in the picture). These are supposed to be tight and without play, but apparently in many cases that is not the fact.

As a result the dashboard has up/down play leading to the following situation:
  • when its cold the dash will rattle every time you go over a bump
  • as it gets warm the dash expands and the rattle is replaced by a squeak coming from leather rubbing on leather
  • if the car is left standing in the sun it expands further and actually becomes silent, being solidly pressed together.

Its rather easy to check if this may be the source of your rattle, just check to see if the front end of the dash has play when you try to wiggle it. May take some effort and is best done when the car hasn't been sitting in the sun.

Of course, the best solution is to completely remove the dash and isolate the pins so that there is no play. In practice that is a major effort and as my warranty has meanwhile expired I searched for an alternative solution. Since the vent channel is fixed to the chassis I pressed several rubber pieces n the vent gap as shown by the arrow in the second picture. I put 5 pieces of clear hose with 16mm OD in, which completely solved the problem.

No more play, consequently no more rattle or squeak.:clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
This is why this forum is great, thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Amazing that no duct tape is involved. Will keep that in back of my head if it rears its ugly head as weather turns colder. My only rattle is the jiggling lock button which we'll grommet when leather on driver's door is replaced soon.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just checked my vent gap to try and replicate what tbd_evora posted about.

On my '12 Evora S, there are already dark grey foam blocks in the vent gap. One large one on each side close to the A-pillars, and a few smaller ones every few inches apart. Given that tbd's Evora is a '11, I'm guessing Lotus started installing these foam blocks for '12+s to alleviate the dash rattle.

Unfortunately, since these foam blocks are already there on my '12 Evora, and I still have a dash rattle, I am back at square one in determining the rattle cause.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Yeah I was going to mention that.. Mine has the foam blocks too.. I think this is standard procedure as mine was replaced under warranty a while back... I may need to disassemble the dash to remove the airbag covers some they seem to be jutting out badly now, despite rarely being in the sun and always well care for. tadts

·
Registered
632 Posts
I believe I've narrowed down the source of my dash rattle to part #3 in TBD's original post. It seems that if I press down on this cover while driving, the rattle disappears.

Anybody know how this part can be removed/tightened down? Hopefully without requiring major dash surgery?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe you have to remove the instrument cluster to access that panel. Check first if it is the #3 panel and not the dash itself. I would try my fix first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hate to admit this, but I thought I had a rattle on the dashboard, but it turned out to be the failed elastc O ring on the BOE air filter mount. :facepalm There are there some very strange noise paths in this car! :huh:

·
Registered
632 Posts
My dealer replaced my dash about a year ago due to bubbling of the leather, and ever since then I've had the incredibly annoying dash rattle as everybody else has in this thread.

Now that I finally found the source of the rattle, the dealer is saying they will not cover fixing the rattle under warranty.

Seems to me like either a) the rattle was caused due to poor construction at the Lotus factory leading to excess play, or b) the replacement dash not being installed tightly when it was replaced.

Either case seems like an obvious warranty issue. I have yet to respond to my service advisor, but curious as to recommendations on how to approach this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts