The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17 year old daughter wanted to drive my 2005 elise but didn't know how to drive a stick, so I decided to use the elise to teach her how to drive a manual transmission car. The clutch was probably 60% gone already but I figured it could handle her learning how to drive a manual. Well things didn't go quite as well as I would have hoped. Our clothes literally smelled like a burning clutch by the time we were done. She basically got it figured out but my poor clutch paid the price. It now catches at the very top. It doesn't slip but I'd rather take care of it now while I can still drive it to the dealer / mechanic. So the point of this post is to ask if anyone has a recommendation for a reliable / experienced lotus mechanic in the Kansas city or St. Louis area that can replace a clutch and roughly what that should cost me.

Thanks in advance for your time and the information. Any other information or advice anyone wants to throw out there regarding the elise or the clutch is always welcomed.

-Jon

·
Administrator
1,521 Posts
Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
983 Posts
Bleed the clutch before you decide to do anything else. It is a hydraulic system, so if the catch point changed it is likely do to a change in the fluid. Go find an empty section of road where you can safely do some hard acceleration runs. If the clutch does not slip, it is probably okay.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
On a Toyota product I once thought that my clutch had gone. It turned out that there was a clutch fluid leak and after it was fixed all was well again.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
A noble sacrifice. I am rather selective who I let drive my car a second time... Never shall I just turn the keys over. been burned by a family member.

I agree with the "bleed the clutch ( and brake) fluid. I have a high rated clutch after market clutch and a recent flush literally transformed the clutch action and feel. I hear what your saying about the burn smell though. I mean a fresh clutch is never a bad thing! heh

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
OK, i don't quite understand. If you were with your daughter, how did she wear out the clutch??

The smell you reported should have been enough to stop that activity;

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bleed the clutch before you decide to do anything else. It is a hydraulic system, so if the catch point changed it is likely do to a change in the fluid. Go find an empty section of road where you can safely do some hard acceleration runs. If the clutch does not slip, it is probably okay.

The clutch doesn't slip but I'm still concerned that it isn't long before it starts to. I'll do some research on how to bleed the clutch and give it a shot. Still driving it everyday and it seems to be hanging in there.

Thanks

-Jon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A noble sacrifice. I am rather selective who I let drive my car a second time... Never shall I just turn the keys over. been burned by a family member.

I agree with the "bleed the clutch ( and brake) fluid. I have a high rated clutch after market clutch and a recent flush literally transformed the clutch action and feel. I hear what your saying about the burn smell though. I mean a fresh clutch is never a bad thing! heh

Thanks. Yea, she really wanted to learn how to drive a stick and really wanted to drive the lotus so I figured why not. I felt like I was going to need to replace the clutch in the next year to so anyway so why not spend some time with my daughter teaching her how to drive a stick. She is a great kid, it's only a car, it's repairable, and the memories will last forever.

-Jon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, i don't quite understand. If you were with your daughter, how did she wear out the clutch??

The smell you reported should have been enough to stop that activity;

It only started really smelling strong at the end and we were so close to getting it that I decided to just let it go and see what happened. I can replace the clutch but I can't replace the memory of having to stop her because I cared more about the clutch than her getting it figured out. I can still drive it, but it is definitely not the way it was when we started and I'm OK with that, just need to get it fixed while I can still drive it to the mechanic.

:) Jon

·
Administrator
1,521 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea that place existed and it's only two hrs away. Called BOE twice and sent and email. Still waiting to hear back.

Thanks again!

-Jon
They can be hard to get a hold of. Ashley is your best contact 10-4 CST with long lunches email [email protected] They get very busy during racing season and get a lot of tire kickers that get ignored. Check out their website.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts