The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Very Cool AJ- That TQ is going to be super sweet:up:

How bigguh pulley are you running with that setup? I suppose it's too early for you to have any data of what your charge temps are... but let us know when you get them!

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very Cool AJ- That TQ is going to be super sweet:up:

How bigguh pulley are you running with that setup? I suppose it's too early for you to have any data of what your charge temps are... but let us know when you get them!

Best,

Phil
I'm running the forced fed pulley. I didn't measure before install but I believe it is in the 2.6-2.7 range.

I was generating 10-10.5 max PSI pre IC

The hottest charge temp I saw on the dyno was 225F pre IC(that was a particularly long run at 6k + on and off) and at the time I was seeing about 150 post IC, not exact numbers but on average on hard runs and repetetive runs I was seeing 75 degree temp differences between inlet and outlet on the RLS IC. We would put 4 runs in a row with damn near identical numbers, VERY minimal heatsoak

ambient temps were 85-90F

Nice fuel setup. Did you upgrade the high pressure line all the way to the tank? Or to the old quick connect fitting (where Sammy’s fuel rail fit stops)
the plastic line is still in place. Just using Smaays connector to the original line.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-hU7iMgYa8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-hU7iMgYa8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The hottest charge temp I saw on the dyno was 225F pre IC(that was a particularly long run at 6k + on and off) and at the time I was seeing about 150 post IC, not exact numbers but on average on hard runs and repetetive runs I was seeing 75 degree temp differences between inlet and outlet on the RLS IC. We would put 4 runs in a row with damn near identical numbers, VERY minimal heatsoak
I'm happy to see your independent results. The intercooler works quite well.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm happy to see your independent results. The intercooler works quite well.
:eek: Since it works so well how come no one is buying the one I have for sale in the Parts Market section? :panic:

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
I'm running the forced fed pulley. I didn't measure before install but I believe it is in the 2.6-2.7 range.

Thanks AJ- Those are really low temps for that sized pulley...

Just curious- do you track your car? You 'll get much hotter than that for sure on the track. It doesn't matter a whole lot as long as you and Charlie build a little cushion into the tune to account for some higher temps...

Again, great numbers. That car will fly when complete!

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
186 Posts

the plastic line is still in place. Just using Smaays connector to the original line.
Great news and best of luck on the build. Nice to see some real independent testing done on the RLS intercooler. It appears as if it does flow quite well.

My only question would be why you're not making more torque under 5.5K rpm with the smaller pulley. On supercharged motors with smaller pulleys, the lower-rpm torque usually increases more than up top. Perhaps Charlie will make improvements during the road tuning.

Be good,
TomK

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Cool AJ. Nice job!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
!!! nice AJ you're gonna fly on the track with that thing

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great news and best of luck on the build. Nice to see some real independent testing done on the RLS intercooler. It appears as if it does flow quite well.

My only question would be why you're not making more torque under 5.5K rpm with the smaller pulley. On supercharged motors with smaller pulleys, the lower-rpm torque usually increases more than up top. Perhaps Charlie will make improvements during the road tuning.

Be good,
TomK
My guess would be that it is because of the low compression engine build. My numbers are probably lower across the board than people pushing 10psi through a standard compression engine but I was going for safety on this one. We did very little tweaking on the road tuning, it was very smooth on the street right after the dyno tuning even.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The temps on the car are better than they ever were, I'm guessing its thanks to the 160 TRD thermostat and the new water pump on the new motor. When I am just cruising on the freeway and around town my temps dont break 170 and will sit as low as 163 if I'm cruising along on the freeway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-hU7iMgYa8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-hU7iMgYa8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
-eek--eek-:eek::eek::no: Charlie, don't put yourself in the line of fire...:no::no: I had a car lose a wheel weight once on my dyno, it
hit the wall like a bullet! I had another blow a tire years ago at about 120mph.
Get in the passenger seat....get out of line of those spinning rear tires.:thwack:
I would hate to see you get injured.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My guess would be that it is because of the low compression engine build. My numbers are probably lower across the board than people pushing 10psi through a standard compression engine but I was going for safety on this one. We did very little tweaking on the road tuning, it was very smooth on the street right after the dyno tuning even.
That very well could be due to the low-comp....good point. Sounds like you have a very solid/reliable runner there, best of luck on the car...enjoy it well.
Be good,
TomK

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
That very well could be due to the low-comp....good point. Sounds like you have a very solid/reliable runner there, best of luck on the car...enjoy it well.
Be good,
TomK
You're actually making great power with the lower compression pistons on your conservative tune...it looks great. That's 91 pump right? On the same Forcedfed pulley my power went from 270ish whp to 240ish whp after the built motor on a first pass tune when it was at FF. Kris is going to put in a 100octane map soon and I will try that out later this month at Jack's day (are you coming?)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The temps on the car are better than they ever were, I'm guessing its thanks to the 160 TRD thermostat and the new water pump on the new motor. When I am just cruising on the freeway and around town my temps dont break 170 and will sit as low as 163 if I'm cruising along on the freeway.
Any concerns that the oil won't get up to temp with those low engine temps?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any concerns that the oil won't get up to temp with those low engine temps?
oil comes to temp just fine. It still goes to 190+ when I sit in traffic or at a really long light but cools back down quickly.

I am monitoring oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, EGT, boost, and fuel pressure on my defi display. Still need to put in a permanent wideband though.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're actually making great power with the lower compression pistons on your conservative tune...it looks great. That's 91 pump right? On the same Forcedfed pulley my power went from 270ish whp to 240ish whp after the built motor on a first pass tune when it was at FF. Kris is going to put in a 100octane map soon and I will try that out later this month at Jack's day (are you coming?)
yup, 91 pump gas. Not sure if I'm going to make that date. Still have lots of little things to do and get the suspension installed and setup.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts