The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I got the 2nd huge scare since I got my car. I'm cruising along at 60 MPH in a 40 (not that much speed in a straight area) and a genuine Pennsylvania suicide deer leaps out onto the road 20 yards ahead of me. I figure there's no way to stop in time, and judging by the angle, we were going to meet at my left front qtr panel, her head into my head, so to speak. So I jump on it HARD, and manage to get past the deer-kind of. It's head knocked my mirror in on the drivers side, and it's eyes were HUGE-eek-

I saw it fall over behind me as I braked to a halt, and then it got up and took off. I got out, straightened my mirror and was much relieved to find it unbroken, just turned in. There was still a little deer hair on it, but that's it. Whew. Can you imagine what a head on impact with a deer would do to the Elise? After cleaning out my drawers, I was able to trek the last mile to my house. yikes. :eek:

Anyone else out there have any near misses?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Contact- I've hit one. On of all place Highway 101, a major freeway. It was 2-3 am; it took a second to realize what it was. He was off the shoulder of the fast lane. Stepped into the lane tried moving over. Was driving a Toyota PU, bias ply tires, not much I could do. He bolted in front of me. Hit the front end/hood, quarter panel and drives door. Pretty sure I'd snapped his neck so think he was gone before hitting the road. Since then I've learn a bit more about what to do.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Wow, glad you and the car are okay.

I've heard about a head-on with a deer involving the old Pontiac Fiero. In that case the low front caught the deer down low and the beast flipped through the air right over the car! Only a flip up light was damaged. Our angled windshield might help keep them from entering the passenger compartment but the top is a concern.

Here in CT some fit those deer whistle wind thingeys..not sure if they work or not. I'm pretty used to the deer antics though. Mostly they are a problem in the same areas of the road at the same time of day +/- 15 minutes as they wander a route each day. Usually they cross the street in the dusk to early evening period.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I had one take out the entire passenger side of my Avalon from front headlight to rear taillight, windshied, both doors, quarter panels and it had the nerve to leave deer hair (that's how I knew it was a deer) ADN #1 and #2 all over the side and major impacted #2 under both door handles and in the door edges -most disgusting - never saw the deer.

But I'm hoping that since deer tend to jump I'll be able to glide safely under them in the Elise - no worries I say.

·
Registered
263 Posts
One of my roommates in college was stuck in stop and go traffic on the freeway, and a deer comes bounding down the hillside next to the freeway, onto the freeway and then smacks broadside into his car, which is at a complete stop, killing itself and doing some good damage to his car.

How's that for luck?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Your lucky this didn't happen to you:huh: :huh:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I didn't hit it, but....

Was driving down a two lane highway in WI one morning and I see a deer coming towards the road at a right angle. So, I start slowing down, but the 1990 Ford Taurus coming the other way never saw the deer.

The deer impacted the Taurus dead center on the hood - as in right in front of the car - couldn't have planned it any better. The car's speed was probably 60-70mph.

Now, I have never seen a hit thankfully, but the deer was running at 90 degrees to the car and when it was hit it went straight up in the air about 30 feet (not kidding). The deer also was spinning like top. The car passed underneath the deer and the deer ended up landing right next to me as I was slowing driving by - made a terrible sound when it hit the ground. The deer didn't get up.

I was lucky that the guy driving never saw it so he never swerved and thankfully the deer didn't hit me either.

Damage to the Taurus was pretty cosmetic (grill, headlights, hood), nothing major.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Caution, a bit graphic.

When I was dating my wife we were driving down 96 East of Lansing one sunny afternoon. Any of you that have driven here know that the speed limit is an extremely liberal 70 mph.
I was just coming up on the left of a semi truck that was travelling about 75 mph when a deer darted out in front of it. The driver didn't even have time to lift his foot off the gas. He center-punched the deer at about 75 mph. Not to be overly grizly, but it was suddenly raining wet pieces of fur. I actually had to use the windshield wipers and the washer. There wasn't a piece of deer left anywhere that was bigger than my fist.
The truck sort of shuddered when it hit the deer and then kept on down the road as though nothing had happened. I think he had the cruise on the whole time. I ended up having to stop at a self-serve car wash to spray the bigger chunks off.

My wife drives 55 miles one way to work third shift. She drives down country roads east of Grand Rapids with woods on both sides and she has hit a number of deer. Usually they do no damage to the car. Once she swerved to avoid one and totalled one of our cars going off a large drop and murdering a family of trees though.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My son Matt totaled an '89 Probe avoiding a deer less than a week after moving here. He hit a belgium curb. The car kept going, except for the axle, tie rods, etc. Ugly. Of course he scored a Mustang out of the deal.

Then I hit one about two years ago in my Sebring. Well, it actually jumped right into the side of the car,I had almost stopped avoiding her two friends first (it's always Does, not Bucks). She was fine, but the car suffered $4,000 of damage. That led to my Mitsu Spyder. That was a pretty minor hit, which spawned my question. Perhaps a head on would just roll up over the top and land behind the Elise, but at a miminum we're talking about a new calm and windshield. ugh.

That deer sticking out of the car above reminded me that a buddy at work carries a pistol in his car for that scenario exactly. I guess if a hoof comes through the window, it's sharp enough to kill you as the deer kicks. He said he'd use it to finish off the deer (if the deer didn't get him 1st).

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I hit a bird the other day. :eek: It flew down right in front of me, then turned and saw me and took off when I was right on top of it. It hit my front bumper - an array of feathers trailed behind me. Thankfully, my rubber bumper was unscathed. The little birdie didn't fare as well, though :(

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Surfer, I had an almost identical incident to that in my jeep. Driving near Pensacola, about sundown, deer jumps out, rethinks it at the last minute, I nearly roll my jeep trying to swerve, and I hear her hooves clattering on the pavement while I watch her head just miss my rear view mirror. I was pretty shook up, but I'm sure the deer was more shook up than me.

My brother on the other hand... we're driving from Austin to San Marcos one evening, deer jumps out, we nail it, messing up the front bumper of his Civic, and he pulls over to assess the results. The deer was injured but not dead, so he goes back to the car and pulls out the Ka-bar knife he keeps in the car (just in case: see thread about crazy people attacking your car), and calmly cuts its throat and throws it in the back of the civic. Note: not normally a good thing... you can get a fine for poaching by doing this. It worked out ok, though.

Cade

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Stan said:
some fit those deer whistle wind thingeys..not sure if they work or not.
No they don't. For one thing, they are not mounted where there is good air flow through them to make a whistle.

They are supposed to make a whistle above the human hearing range (like a dog whistle). Ever notice that dogs aren't bothered by the "deer whistles"?

But most importantly, deer hear in the same frequency range as humans - they have more sensitive hearing, but if we can't hear the whistle, they can't either.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Driving home late one night on a 5-lane freeway, I notice a rabbit crossing the road. With the mass of automobiles bounding down on it, I figured Thumper was toast. But after it crossed the second lane, it calmly stopped on the lane line to wait for traffic to clear. Amazing.

·
Registered
711 Posts
TimMullen said:
No they don't. For one thing, they are not mounted where there is good air flow through them to make a whistle.

They are supposed to make a whistle above the human hearing range (like a dog whistle). Ever notice that dogs aren't bothered by the "deer whistles"?

But most importantly, deer hear in the same frequency range as humans - they have more sensitive hearing, but if we can't hear the whistle, they can't either.
I'm not sure how well they work, but my Dad installed it just under the side mirrors on his van, and when we got to freeway speed I could hear a high pitched whistle. It was high pitched enough that some people don't hear it. I'm not sure exactly how it helps the deer avoid you. If it can hear the whistle, it can probably hear your engine, but maybe you drive a quiet car.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Sounds like some of you have gotten off pretty lucky. I once saw a van that hit a deer. It looked like it wrecked into a lamppost. I hope we don’t see anymore people reporting they hit deer. It’s kinda scary

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Here's a question.

I was driving to Lexington Kentucky the other day and saw a deer in the median who had been hit but was not dead.

I felt awful. I stopped at the next exit and found a telephone book at the truck stop and called the local sheriff.

I also once saw a deer with two broken rear legs crawling around in the middle of the interstate dragging itself with its front legs. Again I felt awful.

I stopped at the next exit and called the highway patrol. They said they would come out and check it out. I said it was out in traffic...which it was but I also figured that would make them more apt to come out and do something.

Is there ANYONE you can call to kill/shoot/ end the suffering of such animals rather than just going on and driving past looking???? Can you call 911 to report it and just say its in traffic? Will they at least come shoot it?

I'd like to know, and maybe some others here would too.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Your state wildlife service would be the people to call. In TX it's officially Texas Parks and Wildlife, I believe.

Cade

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I can never find their number when on the road travelling. Guess I should put my states home number in my glove box.

Also, sometimes Im in another state and see such things. Can you dial 911 and have them connect you, or do they think you're crazy?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts