The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

Been researching the Elise and Exige for some time now, and decided to go for an elise MY '05.
My search has come down to 2 cars, seperated by $600. Both cars are in places I do business regularly, one being in a place that is more accessible (~200miles away) and the other in a place I am more familiar with (lived there some time back and still have friends i can stay with there. also ~800 miles away). I will be making that 800 mile trip sooner or later, so this trip won't be only for the car while the 200 mile trip will be exclusively for the car.

one car has 15k miles and the other has 23k miles. I have talked extensively with the current owner of the 23kmiles car and like him. Both my preferred color - silver. the one with 23k miles costs $600 more, but also comes with some extra goodies, like an extra wheel, slightly better stereo (only slightly), a recent inspection, a rear wing and an additional $200 worth of stuff. They both have hard tops.

Based on this information, which one would be the better option? I should add that I need to visit some friends at my old place, which i will be doing either way, so this trip can be combined with it.

Thanks and I look forward to joining this community!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I feel that it's the wrong time of year to purchase a lotus. I sold my 2005 last year with 23k miles for under 26k. Maybe wait until summer is over.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh, i guess i forgot to include prices. the cheaper (15k miles) costs 25300, while the other costs 26000. both touring editions with hard tops. If i wait, my much better half ;) may change her mind, my son will be off to school (i know he will enjoy riding shotgun in this) and I would have turned 40 without owning a true sports car, and those are worth a slight premium.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Seems like a hard call. I think that if you plan on keeping it long enough (like to 90k+ miles), the mileage would not matter that much when reselling it, but I am no lotus expert, one of the more experienced members should chime in

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Man...this sounds like one of those math questions from high school !!!......If a train leaves Chicago going 87 mph..........rotflrotfl

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Few thoughts:

- A $25K car and $600 is an issue? It's just $600. I would buy the car I like.

- Are the 'extra goodies' of value to you? If so, that's the one.

- You like the owner which means you probably trust the car - that's worth a lot more than $600.

- 23Kmi v 15Kmi isn't really a big difference on a 2005. Hell, that 15K mi car was driven about 2K miles a year. Which means it sat a lot.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would say that if you filled out your profile to say what your location was, that would help a lot. Talking about going 800 miles would have me looking at what's closer, but there's a difference whether you're in the bay area and can select from 7 cars within 50 miles or the middle of Iowa, where you have to drive 800 miles to buy milk.

Both cars are at good prices, if the condition and maintanance is equal. Ask about the oil lines as you're going to replace them if they have not already been done....and the radiator, which will eventually blow up as well. If one car had both of those taken care of and the other has not, that's a big plus, independent of miles.

By the way....you'll like the touring package.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Luck Eliserr!

I'm interested in the leftovers. Seriously, let me know. I'm debating on a local Elise right now but I'm also days away from making a decision and this seems to be a nice deal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wouldn't let mileage or price difference be too much of a factor in your case. I'd try to look at both in person if possible. I doubt both will be in the same exact condition first hand. Are both one owner cars, if not maybe look into the one with fewer owners. check the carfax of course. OR look at the one that youre slightly leaning towards more. And if that one is in pristine condition, then I'd go for it. Me, personally, not a big fan of wings on elise's, so I'd get the lower mileage one, but I'd talk to that owner more too and get a feel of the seller

id recommend a dealer inspection with ecu dump too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts