The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question, considering the headlights are not DOT compliant, But are they daytime running lights as standard?
m

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
It won't help your insurance rates any, but you can always flip them on when you start the car. Seems like it could add a smidgen of safety.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers. I would disable them if they were standard.

I don't think there's much you can do to make the car more visible.
I don't think colour makes a bit of difference, or lighting.
the quality of driving out there is terrible.
Every time I have the yellow se7en out, I about get hit. (usually by older types that stare at you as they pull out...
m.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My father used to tell the story of the time (back in the 50s or 60s) where he got a miniature stoplight and mounted it in the rear window of his vehicle. He rigged it to turn red as he braked. He got rear-ended by a woman who told him she failed to stop cause she was so fascinated by the stoplight in his car.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Too bad they are not standard.

There is a reason motorcycles are required by law to run their headlamps at all times. Studies have proven day-time running lights improve your visibility to others.

Dusk and dawn are some of the most dangerous times to drive because of visibility. Where I live, it is usually cloudy until about 10-11am. It is amazing how much more visible cars with headlights burnin' can be during these morning hours.

Why would you not want to make yourself more visible?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
shinoo said:
There is a reason motorcycles are required by law to run their headlamps at all times.
Only in some locations - not all. My motorcycle always had it's headlight turned on when I was riding.

Studies have proven day-time running lights improve your visibility to others.
And other studies have shown that it makes no difference. Most studies for DRLs are in far northern climates where there is less "daytime". In most areas of the US, DRLs simply are not needed and in some cases are more distracting then necessary; they can actually cause more problems than they solve - ever been in front of a Chevy pickup?

Dusk and dawn are some of the most dangerous times to drive because of visibility. Where I live, it is usually cloudy until about 10-11am. It is amazing how much more visible cars with headlights burning' can be during these morning hours.
That's why you are supposed to turn on your headlights at dusk and dawn - in fact, it's pretty much required by law everywhere in the US.

Why would you not want to make yourself more visible?
I still like to be able to use my intelligence. My Ford Ranger doesn't need DRLs to be seen. Having them could cause other's problems. I did however, install high quality fog lights on my black Miata that function as DRLs - since installing them, the number of people that cut me off in traffic and pull out in front of me has drastically declined.

If all car have DRLs, it tends to decrease the effectiveness of them on the cars that really need them. Now that a lot of cars have DRLs, the headlights on motorcycles tend to be less noticeable in the daytime.

I'll most likely have the headlights on most of the time in my Chrome Orange Elise, simply because it's small and I'll need all the help I can get to be seen. But I still don't want to be lost in a sea of DRLs...

Tim Mullen

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ok, so I'm curious...headlights require energy to power them. That energy has a cost, in terms of gasoline. I'm sure the level is very, very small, and yet...if every vehicle in the US had DRL, I wonder what the impact on our fuel usage would be? Probably insignificant...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MattG said:
I wonder what the impact on our fuel usage would be? Probably insignificant...
Back in the early days of DRLs, I remember reading a quick analysis that it would be a couple of percent - not a lot, but not insignificant either.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
thegit said:
Cheers. I would disable them if they were standard.

I don't think there's much you can do to make the car more visible.
I don't know. I still like my flag idea. I just need to finalize the proper size (visibility to aero-drag ratio). :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts