The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this? I'm about to get a 2nd set of wheels for day to day use, and I really like how these guys look on my car, but I have a major concern: weight. These bastards weigh in at ~40lbs per wheel, which worries me about everything from suspension to stopping distance to brake fade. Am I overly concerned?

I'm keeping the light wheels with r888's for the track, but I'd like a little Sunday cruise bling too. Little photoshop action below for a preview:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Please don't do this.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahahah, I'm totally ready for the flames. Dayton has been making wire wheels since 1916, for many high end cars. I'm not trying to get 13" wheels with gold and whitewall tires, there's a BIG difference there.

But yeah, most of the wheels I see on sports cars are either ugly as sin, or stupid expensive, or both. Alternative suggestions are certainly welcome, but I'd like some practical feedback beyond "OMG I think it's ugly, don't do it!"

Q

·
0 Posts
Practical feedback.

1. It's ugly don't do it.
2. They are VERY heavy and will ruin the feel, response, and handling of the car.
3. See #1

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
And they simply don't look right on the car. In a practical sense.

When you're choosing wheels for Sunday Cruise bling, that's all the practical advise you need.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
That is just so, so wrong, I'm sorry but you really shouldn't...Daytons do not belong on anything but a lowrider.

Q

·
0 Posts
I can practical-ly fee the vomit flowing up into my mouth.

Cool wheels on, say an old Jag, an old Vette, or Ferrari... totally wrong concept for this car.

Heed Chapman's motto... "Add lightness"

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, #2 is really disheartening, really kills it :( Maybe I can find some 20ish pound alternatives.

For #1 and 3, I'm a designer by trade, I've worked on automotive projects and even won an automotive design competition along the way ;) so while it may not be your personal taste, they sure aren't ugly! I'd be glad to show you 70 years of wire wheels on some of the sexiest cars ever made :)

So, these exempted, what other options have I got for everyday wheels? I'm looking for off the beaten path ideas from other vehicles, time periods, et al.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
The look is subjective, but the weight is a killer. Could you go get them to make a high-tech set in magnesium and aluminum or something?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I can practical-ly fee the vomit flowing up into my mouth.

Cool wheels on, say an old Jag, an old Vette, or Ferrari... totally wrong concept for this car.

Heed Chapman's motto... "Add lightness"

Maybe you missed the point I made, I already HAVE 15 pounders on the car. I will be keeping those for track days. But "add lightness" is just a silly silly thing to adhere to for driving home from work. I don't wind my car out on the road, I drive it responsibly and carefully. It really amazes me how fanboyish some people are about the Lotus motto, et al.

"Cool wheels on, say an old Jag, an old Vette, or Ferrari... totally wrong concept for this car."

This is exactly my point. They look good on older, classic sports cars. Because older, classic sports cars are GORGEOUS. How many design trends on supercars of the 80's and early 90's have survived? Now, how many vehicles now are doing throwback design to those classics, because of how beautiful they were?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The look is subjective, but the weight is a killer. Could you go get them to make a high-tech set in magnesium and aluminum or something?
Yeah, there HAS to be some that are lighter than this. I haven't looked too hard yet, but if I can't find anything under 25lbs, it's definitely going to be a no-go

·
Registered
533 Posts
For #1 and 3, I'm a designer by trade, I've worked on automotive projects and even won an automotive design competition along the way ;) so while it may not be your personal taste, they sure aren't ugly!
You're right, they aren't ugly. They're atrocious.

Q

·
0 Posts
Maybe you missed the point I made, I already HAVE 15 pounders on the car. I will be keeping those for track days. But "add lightness" is just a silly silly thing to adhere to for driving home from work. I don't wind my car out on the road, I drive it responsibly and carefully. It really amazes me how fanboyish some people are about the Lotus motto, et al.

"Cool wheels on, say an old Jag, an old Vette, or Ferrari... totally wrong concept for this car."

This is exactly my point. They look good on older, classic sports cars. Because older, classic sports cars are GORGEOUS. How many design trends on supercars of the 80's and early 90's have survived? Now, how many vehicles now are doing throwback design to those classics, because of how beautiful they were?

I know the wheels... I've seen them on classics... at many shows and concourse. But no matter how you try to sell it, it's wrong type for the lines of this particular car.

But obviously your mind is set and there is no convincing you otherwise...

But do as you must... just expect a lot of slack from us "fanboys"....

:sad:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
After you get the Daytons, get some hydralics so u can bounce down the road.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts