The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm comparing the Larini 6 vs 8 inch Sport cat-back systems. Obviously the 6" is louder. But how much louder? Rarely do sigs or youtube videos clarify which Larini Sports kit is specifically being used.

I don't want loud. I want the deep, smooth, racy note I hear in all those good Exige S Larini youtube videos floating around.

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 6" and 8" Larini club sport systems are relatively new still so I doubt that you will find any sound clips. However, it would be nice if S111 added some so that they can be heard...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both are new?

So, in the video link below (for example), what are all of the Larini exhausts we typically hear? What was offered for the Elise/Exige before these two Sport models?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RZkc0kVhfk&feature=email

I've searched on this but found nothing. I know it's a noob question.. My Exige S arrives today, so I'm still on the learning curve. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
These two have been available for awhile...

BELOW Diffuser "Sport Style"

ABOVE Diffuser "SE Style"

These two were recently released...

6" Club Sport

8" Club Sport

the Club Sport models are above diffuser and single, side exit

·
Registered
531 Posts
I recently got the 6" installed on my car while it was in the shop. I will be picking it up within the next few days..

I'll try to compare that to the original Larini exhaust that was on there. (fyi, it had the f1 tips on).

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much Tunen! That is great info to have.

cspak71, looking forward to your view of the 6". Any audio clips and/or subjective impressions of tone and volume would be much appreciated.

That's perfect too, because it will be easier to guesstimate the difference to the 8" after hearing the 6" (louder) exhaust first, rather than the other way around.

Unless there is an owner with the 8" kit willing to post comparative sounds clips? :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Update:

Well.. I finally was able to pick up the car, and considering that the exhaust is still new (less than 500 miles) it may change as it gets more settled in.

The 6" club sport exhaust sounds great. It's not as high and "screamy" as the aqray. I had the original larini exhaust on prior to switching, and I can say that the db is pretty loud. I'd say that it's louder than the prior Larini exhaust but delivers more of a smoother note.

The Older Larini sounded a bit more harsher and "meaner" and actually screamed a bit more on the 2nd cams.. but also made it sound a little harsher. The 6" is plenty loud and yet delivers a smoother, throatier note as well.

I think there's pros' an con's to both... in the end, I'm glad I switched, but still can find myself missing the more unrefined note of the larini.

In terms of power delivery, the 6" does feel like it let's the engine rev faster because of the larger diameter piping... again, it could just be me, since I haven't done any official testing.

I would recommend it.. but if you're looking for something more "ferrari" like, and high-pitched, go with the arqray.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm going to give the Race system a try. My wife is insisting I keep the stock rear look and diffuser exit, which I'm fine with (this car is so gorgious I am actually hesitant to change things like that). The Race system is very close to in design to the Club Sport can, but with a diffuser exit.

I don't want loud, but I want a much better note (as most of us do). I spoke with Larini directly and they said their Sport Style diffuser exit is 92dB. The Race is rated at 95dB with the resonator in place, 97dB with the resonator removed.

The Nismo on my Z is rated 95dB as well, and that system is not loud but very cultured and tolerable, with no drone. So I think this will work out well.

And if it ends up being too loud then I'll have a Race system for sale. :clap: :wallbang:

Larini did say that the Race system is the best note they've been able to extract from our cars. Sounds intriguing, as all the other systems sound great too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think I'm going to give the Race system a try. My wife is insisting I keep the stock rear look and diffuser exit, which I'm fine with (this car is so gorgious I am actually hesitant to change things like that). The Race system is very close to in design to the Club Sport can, but with a diffuser exit.

I don't want loud, but I want a much better note (as most of us do). I spoke with Larini directly and they said their Sport Style diffuser exit is 92dB. The Race is rated at 95dB with the resonator in place, 97dB with the resonator removed.

The Nismo on my Z is rated 95dB as well, and that system is not loud but very cultured and tolerable, with no drone. So I think this will work out well.

And if it ends up being too loud then I'll have a Race system for sale. :clap: :wallbang:

Larini did say that the Race system is the best note they've been able to extract from our cars. Sounds intriguing, as all the other systems sound great too.
Race system? Which one would that be?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can see it if you go to larini's site. It is not new..the say they have been hoping S111 to carry it but I think there is concern that us lazy Americans might not want to deal with swapping the silencer in and out. :b It's like they don't know us at all! :shrug:

Based on feedback from S111 though, I am now thinking the Race system may be too loud for my purposes after all. Larini says it tops out at 93db with the silencer, which is about where my 350Z's Nismo exhaust tops out. BUT, it must drone a bit, and have generally more volume across RPMs than I expected. Because twice S111 has said it is "Very Loud". So if THEY think it is loud, it must be freaking loud. hahaha Perhaps the guys are Larini are too desensitized to take their word for it anymore.

So I'll prob get the Sport-F1 system instead. I really like the direct-downward tips.

Forum learnings and feedback have also swayed me away from the de-cat. Sounds like too many problems, and too much mess (fuel smell, risk, soot, etc)...or at least more than I had assumed. Prob go with a sport cat or just leave the stock cat in place for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts