The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed rotors and brake pads before, so for those coming here looking to learn how to install, you might try this resource: Lotus Elise Maintenance, Front Brake Pad Replacement

As of writing this, I'm not sure how many of you have purchased the DBA 4000 rotors that are now available for Lotus Elise/Exige fitment.

I finally got them in and proceeded with the installation. Attached is a picture of the quality and craftsmanship of these rotors.

Notice there is some overspray from the hat onto the rotor surface itself. In the instructions of the rotors, they want you to rub the rotor surface with brake cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hawk HT10 Issues

There is one problem with the installation of the Hawk HT10 Pads.

Stock Pads have a flat backing plate.

However, as shown in the picture below, the Hawks HT10s have a bump/tab sticking out.

I don't know about the rest of you, but Hawk should take off that tab. Stock pads are FLAT, therefore, replacement pads should be flat as well. To expect the consumer to grind it off is wrong.

To those of you who did not grind it off, if you are not using your shim, that's not a good thing. The shims help with heat absorption and anti squeal.

To those of you who did not grind it off and are using shims, that's also not a good thing. The shims are not laying flat on the backing pads, and therefore overtime, you are contributing to more uneven brake pad wear.

I ran into another issue... With the tab grinded off and the shims on, the whole setup is too thick to fit in. I now have to resort to putting the pads in without the shims and will have to put them back in after the pads have worn down a little. I don't know about the rest of you, but the squeals at low speeds are not tolerable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3rd Place Holder

Place holder to add more pictures and information very soon.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4th Place Holder

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5th Place Holder

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6th Place Holder

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The HT10 is a full race pad, very doable on the street but if I weren't at the track a lot I would move to another pad that has less noise and doesn't take as long to heat up. Even on a big track like BW I get squeal coming off the straights if I am not pushing hard enough, the pads when not up to full temps make noise.

That being said I street these pads once in while on the weekends and it's fine, just not my preference if my car was mainly a street car. Also, the HT10's didn't play nice with a previous one piece rotor I had - moving to the Girodisc 2 piece rotors solved everything.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The HT10 is a full race pad, very doable on the street but if I weren't at the track a lot I would move to another pad that has less noise and doesn't take as long to heat up. Even on a big track like BW I get squeal coming off the straights if I am not pushing hard enough, the pads when not up to full temps make noise.

That being said I street these pads once in while on the weekends and it's fine, just not my preference if my car was mainly a street car. Also, the HT10's didn't play nice with a previous one piece rotor I had - moving to the Girodisc 2 piece rotors solved everything.
These are not street pads -- period! Before choosing a pad you need to understand the intended application. And if for the track your temperature range.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I just bought a set of these pads and ran them this weekend at VIR, they made some small cracks on my stock rotors (16k miles). I replaced the pads b/c my Pagid blacks (RS-14)s were done, my Pagids never cracked the rotors but then again maybe the rotors are old.

GEEEZ these pads stop much better then the Pagids though, what a difference, and at half the price!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I just bought a set of these pads and ran them this weekend at VIR, they made some small cracks on my stock rotors (16k miles). I replaced the pads b/c my Pagid blacks (RS-14)s were done, my Pagids never cracked the rotors but then again maybe the rotors are old.

GEEEZ these pads stop much better then the Pagids though, what a difference, and at half the price!
Did you get them with the little tab still on the pads or were they already ground down on the fronts?

We are now selling the front HT-10s with pre-ground tabs for easy installation.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
These are not street pads -- period! Before choosing a pad you need to understand the intended application. And if for the track your temperature range.
The HT-10 is not a street pad.

But that doesn't mean you cannot use it on the street.

You can certainly drive to/from the track with no issues.

If you live in a warm climate you can drive to the grocery store / canyon / whatever you guys do in southern California :nanner:

Personally I run the Hawk DTC-70 in the warm months here in Boston, MA. Yes, I get super dust. Yes, there is some noise once in a while. But boy do they stop (on the WRX).

The HT-10s may need one or two stops to warm up when its really cold but again, warm climates only.

-G

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The pegs were ground down. My front Pagids were at the pegs and I bought them from the brake guy at the track.

I tried the super cheap pads from tirerack ($90-100 a set, all 4) for the heck of it and they are horrible, don't even bother unless you drive like a old lady. I have them on my car for driving around on the street for now but I think I want to run the Pagid 4-2 blues for the next go around.

what rotors do you recommend for the ht-10s, the 4000s or the 5000s? is one better?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The pegs were ground down. My front Pagids were at the pegs and I bought them from the brake guy at the track.

I tried the super cheap pads from tirerack ($90-100 a set, all 4) for the heck of it and they are horrible, don't even bother unless you drive like a old lady. I have them on my car for driving around on the street for now but I think I want to run the Pagid 4-2 blues for the next go around.

what rotors do you recommend for the ht-10s, the 4000s or the 5000s? is one better?
You can't beat the 4000s for the value factor, especially since they are on sale now.

If you need all out performance (really sticky rubber, need as light as possible without compromising heat capacity etc), the 5000s will do the job well.

It sounds like you would be very happy with the 4000s based on what you described you do with the car.

-G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts