The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
DCNSX,

So do we have any idea what the install price would be for our DC area guy to do all the pieces that make up the equivalent to the Starshield kit? Or if we don't have that #, what would we be looking at for the standard Xpel full kit (and we can guesstimate the install cost for the optional pieces which make it equal to the Starshield).

If it all makes sen$e, you can count me in.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stay tuned at the thread above. I have the same deisres as you: max. area covered. price. and quality of installation.

I am encouraged so far by YELOTUS' good results.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have to be in DC the weekend of Oct 15-17. (A 20th reunion! Man, I'm old!) Anyway, I was thinking about taking the Elise instead of flying to get my break-in miles over with. The car should be coming in right around mid-October.

So if the timing is right, I'd be in for a group install. Friday the 15th or Saturday the 16th would work for me.

Steve

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm waiting on YELOTUS to get me his installer's phone #. I'll post up his fee and see if he's available that weekend.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Steve - you're in Providence? I'm from West Greenwich.

Since I'm getting my car from Connecticut, and you are getting yours somewhere down here, how about we switch cars and save each other the drive? (Mine won't be delivered until early spring though.) rotfl

·
Registered
153 Posts
i'm paying $1000 for a custom clear-bra install if you guys want
some REAL protection and something custom instead of a pre-cut
installation which would show a lot of visible lines. this guy i use
tucks the 3m all around the panel so you see no edges. he can
do more coverage if you'd like, the whole car even. i can talk to
him about a group install and discounted prices, and he's in new
jersey where i'm picking up my elise. let me know if you guy's are
intrested. i'll post some pictures of his work. he even wraps the
clear-bra underneath the hood emblem!

·
Registered
387 Posts
coulthard fan said:
Steve - you're in Providence? I'm from West Greenwich.

Since I'm getting my car from Connecticut, and you are getting yours somewhere down here, how about we switch cars and save each other the drive? (Mine won't be delivered until early spring though.) rotfl
ummmmm ..........

NO!

I'll only get a month or so of driving before I have to put it away for the winter. But I know it will be here in the spring! Not on Lotus time!

Nice to see a fellow Rhode Islander here ... and an F1 fan! Do you get up to Montreal? I've been every year since 96. My memory is shot but I'm pretty sure David won 4-5 years ago.

Steve

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
DC, your PM box is full.

BTW, I sent you an e-mail as well. I spoke with Skip, he performed the install on YELOTUS's car. Please see the PM if you have a chance, or the e-mail.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Steve said:
...Nice to see a fellow Rhode Islander here ... and an F1 fan! Do you get up to Montreal? I've been every year since 96. My memory is shot but I'm pretty sure David won 4-5 years ago.
Steve, well, I'm a RI native, but now living & working in DC as a tax attorney. Where did you graduate from around here? Georgetown? GW? As for F1, I've done Montreal & the USGP before, but went to Le Mans instead of an F1 circus this year. Next year I'm thinking Spa or Monza... we'll see. And David never did win at Circuit GV, but he did snag the pole there in 1998.

Back on topic: as a tax attorney, I'd like to point out that this Xpel option could save you an additional $30-50* (this is in addition to the already mentioned savings) in the form of sales taxes** you won't have to pay on the additional grand Starshield adds to the sticker price of your Elise.

* varies depending on your state, and you'll probably have to pay sales tax on the cost of the labor to install it.
** technically, you'd still owe use tax on the purchase of an out of state item, as you technically do on any internet/catalog purchase, but no one actually pays that... except me of course ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Scott, you have pm. Good tax point counselor!

Steve

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had to decide on the Starsheild today and I passed, so I hope that this or other aftermarket solutions come along so I can get it on my car pretty quickly after delivery. If I stick to clean, well-traveled roads, I'm sure the paint will be fine for a few hundred miles.

Maybe the extra benefit will be that the car will leave the port sooner if its not waiting for a clearbra install (I'll cling to any thin reed of hope). Steve

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We're trying to negotiate a $700 flat fee for a DC-area install. I left a message yesterday afternoon with the installer but have not yet heard back.

PS- If you do hear anything about a clearbra install holding the car up in port let us know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts