The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I use my Elise as a daily driver. I agree with pretty much everything he wrote.

In my case though I'm mostly on a well paved highway so that makes the drive very pleasant compared to the author's experience with city traffic.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That was probably bone stock. With modifications and money you can improve all negatives.
I live in the same area and everything he noted is true. My car also has the Ohlins suspension, so it rides considerably better than stock. With that said, you're insane if you wanted me to drive into DC. The roads there are terrible, and it's just not worth it when it comes to parking. If you park in nearly any parking facility in NoVa/MD/DC, you will get hit.

The only thing I have issues with my car is the exhaust drone, but that's an aftermarket piece so I don't think it should be part of the discussion.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I agreed with everything but this:

Removing & installing the top is just enough of a pain to encourage you to leave it on most of the time, and when removed, it’s difficult to stow in the trunk so it takes up the passenger footwell.

I've never found the top a pain to remove or store in the boot. I suppose the pain part is opening both doors and or rolling down both widows, then having to shuffle to both sides and the boot.. Guess if you are DDing this car then ya maybe its a pain.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I agreed with everything but this:

Removing & installing the top is just enough of a pain to encourage you to leave it on most of the time, and when removed, it’s difficult to stow in the trunk so it takes up the passenger footwell.

I've never found the top a pain to remove or store in the boot. I suppose the pain part is opening both doors and or rolling down both widows, then having to shuffle to both sides and the boot.. Guess if you are DDing this car then ya maybe its a pain.
Actually it was a bit of a bother for me if I removed the soft top and put it in its bag and then put the bag in the trunk.

However now I just remove it and leave it in the passenger seat. If I do have a passenger I put the soft top in the trunk but don't bother with the bag.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I DD mine but before that I was using my Ducati as a DD. So the Elise feels like a luxurious sedan to me with tons of space !

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To DD or not to DD

I've always been of the mind that it's nice to have another option/car to drive.
Could I drive the Elise everyday, yes. Do I want to, no.
I feel the Elise was intended to be enjoyed with the roof out 100% of the time, and driven at 8/10th as much as possible. And that can't be done in cold wx or in any kind of precep.
As for this reporters negatives
1. Parking, yes I worry about it. But I'm not parking it in DC everyday that's for sure.
2. The radio sucks, I listen to the car's exhaust note a lot and smile
3. The ride? You didn't buy a Cadillac, really with the OE tires at proper pressure and the sports pack I feel the ride is what it is :shrug:
4. Wind management, I've always liked the wind blowing around me. My wife not so much her hair blows in her mouth and eyes, so she wears a baseball cap.
5. Noise? yes it's a noisy little bugger and that's part of the deal I love it.

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
I DD mine but before that I was using my Ducati as a DD. So the Elise feels like a luxurious sedan to me with tons of space !
Same here, went from a red 1098 to a red Exige for my daily. Wish I still had the Ducati though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts