The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those running a de-cat on the street.. how much visible exhaust is there? I've seen a few videos where revving had a bit of smoke coming out with a de-cat. Didn't seem like anything much coming out under load (in gear) during accel runs for the camera though.

What has been your experience? Mine will exit the diffuser as stock so it is a least a bit hidden... I don't mind swapping the cat back in when it's inspection time, but I also don't want to stroll around every day with a trail coming out of my exhaust. :evil:

Thx!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I never had a trail. occasional flames only.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The flame is what I'm after. :)

I'm considering getting a Larini Race system, diffuser exit. This is vs the Larini Sports-F1 system. I just spoke with Larini and they say the Race is only 3dB louder (93dB) than the Sports with the resonator in place (good for wife approval). Without the resonator, it's closer to 96dB (bad for wife approval).

Seems like the Race system is a more straight-through solution to a diffuser exit exhaust, so for me it might be worth the trade-off in cost to get the better sound and also have the ability to swap the resonator as I please.

But with such a straight through system plus the de-cat, I was worried it may be a little obvious.

Thx for the response Randy. Hopefully this is the common report.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
I never had a trail. occasional flames only.
+1. I've seen flames :evil: on a car with the Larini that exits through the back panel too (Lancer360).

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The flame is what I'm after. :)

I'm considering getting a Larini Race system, diffuser exit. This is vs the Larini Sports-F1 system. I just spoke with Larini and they say the Race is only 3dB louder (93dB) than the Sports with the resonator in place (good for wife approval). Without the resonator, it's closer to 96dB (bad for wife approval).

Seems like the Race system is a more straight-through solution to a diffuser exit exhaust, so for me it might be worth the trade-off in cost to get the better sound and also have the ability to swap the resonator as I please.

But with such a straight through system plus the de-cat, I was worried it may be a little obvious.

Thx for the response Randy. Hopefully this is the common report.

My buddy runs the larini/de-cat......diff exit like stock.....massive flames on the track.....sounds sweet too....on the track similar to my arqray on the gas.......i would be very happy with this set up......almost as good as the arqray.....:evil:
You can not see if a de-cat pipe is fitted or not,why he bought the larini...
looks better than stock.....and sounds a hell of a lot better.:up:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course. But you can see sooty exhaust at the inspection station. I'll button it back up for the annual... but I just don't want a bored officer deciding to pick on the guy in the orange sports car to have something easy to pick on with a sooty exhaust. Sounds like it will be fine though.

Oh ya...I wanted an open end kit, but it was vetoed. So with a closed rear I'm def going to exploit the de-cat option.

Q

·
0 Posts
Tailpipe was dirtier.

Gassy smell was stronger.

Sound was louder

CEL was more frequent

I'm back to my sport cat.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was it that bad?

You still get CELs even with the O2/CEL eliminator in-place?

Q

·
0 Posts
Was it that bad?

You still get CELs even with the O2/CEL eliminator in-place?
The CEL seemed to work for a while, and then no longer worked. I don't think anyone has found a CEL eliminator that works on an S.

The gassy smell WAS bad.

The loudness was good and bad... Good = mean sound.... Bad = no hear radio.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kinda like the gassy smell of a carb'd car..but I can see how it might get old if you're in stop-n-go a lot.

Interesting feedback. Definitely things to consider.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
My gassy smell is barely noticeable unless you're stopped for a few min. with the top off :shrug:

The sound is not that much louder with my set-up. It all depends on how you use the throttle. Even a stage II will drown out all possible conversation/radio music if you open the throttle.

My CEL eliminator works but I am NA.

If I had to choose between sport cat and de-cat, I'd choose sport cat, but I have a header and de-cat package, so it made sense for me and I love it. Besides, I'm probably making real power somewhere :D

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i was going to run a decat, but I'll use a sport cat instead also.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I kinda like the gassy smell of a carb'd car..but I can see how it might get old if you're in stop-n-go a lot.

Interesting feedback. Definitely things to consider.
Gassy smell for a carb car does get old fast even for a car guy. I swear I can recycle the by-product from the tail pipes of my 440 Dart to feed a Smart car or a small power plan.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are getting me to think maybe I should be a good boy, forgo the annual refit for inspection :no:, fork over some EXTRA bucks :sad: (lotsa extras) and get a sport cat.

Hmmm. :crazyeyes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts