The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Exige S with the Larini 'S' Clubsport exhaust and I want to de-cat it as well. Which one should I go with the Larini De-Cat Pipe or the Larini Silenced De-Cat Pipe..?

·
Registered
648 Posts
SILENCED DE CAT if you value your sanity and ever wish to drive it on the street again. While it doesn't make it much less bad but least not so loud. But good thing with just the straight pipe is fire balls. Depending on the rpms/gas you use you'll be able to shoot yellow, blue and sometimes white fireballs.

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
What diameter is your clubsport? If you have 8" just get normal decat, for example.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I have the 'straight' de-cat with a Topspeed exhaust. I really like the sound, but have been black flagged for exceeding noise level at Road Atlanta on Sunday morning with PCA.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I found that cat vs decat doesn't increase the sound much at all. Go for what ever is cheaper, and if they're the same go for the straight decat.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I thought a de cat didn't really do anything except for sound but in combo with header did as you can retune for more power. Is that right?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I had the Larini straight de-cat with a Stage II and it was loud (like 107 dBA in-car at WOT). :evil: Honestly, it was about a 3 dB difference from when the cat was on. However, if the track you run on has draconian noise restrictions, I'd go with the silenced one - although I can't attest to the difference.

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
I fitted my decat recently and it didn't really increase in loudness. You can gain about 10hp with tuning, not to mention better throttle response and lower heat.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Go turbo and you can run a short exhaust and a decat no silencer all you want =p

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
only time I noticed the smell is when I was outside of the car when it was started. No smell noticed yet when I was driving around and stopped at lights.

My Exige is supercharged so I dont want to do a turbo conversion. Also, who can do an ECU reflash..?
charlie

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
The "raw gas" smell reminded my of youth, where I'd spend time in my Dad's garage gratefully inhaling the smell of MOPAR V8s back before environmental controls.
Uh, that might explain some things......

·
Registered
6 Posts
De-cat sound and smell

I have a de-cat to an arqray dual chamber. It sounds mean but, it does smell a bit. My CEL came on after 100 miles. I'm in the process of sending it to Charlie to a reflash --- sounds like he's the man when it comes to Loti !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts