The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have an 05 elise. I have de-snorkled it and have a K&N filter in the stock box.

I have read up on CAIs...but here is my question. What is the performance benefit over my setup to going with a CAI?

And what is that latest opionion of the best CAI setup?

Thanks!!

Jeff

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
From what I've learned...best thing you could do is cup box with K&N (or what you have now). You have to retune for CAI.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I actually just replaced my stock de-snorkled air box and K&N filter with the cup air box.
I don't know if I am getting any more HP but I really like the sound of the cup box a lot better than my old setup. I was initially going to go with the CAI but I have read about people having too many problems that I just didn't want to have to deal with. I didn't want to re-tune at this time either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
...and...

what do you think about De-snorkling an Hurricane filter on a Rover S2 Elise?

The noise is not louder, just different... more like low-pitched. Different, I like it!

I've some doubt about the hot air that the filter will suck from the engine bay rather that from the outside.

I'd really like to hear your opinion!!

byeeeee
Andrea

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...very few people here with k-series cars; they're mostly on SELOC...

...regardless, my opinion is that lotus put snorkels on these cars for a reason, and i'm reticent to meddle with that setup for warmer air without being able to monitor and manage the tune...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
...regardless, my opinion is that lotus put snorkels on these cars for a reason, and i'm reticent to meddle with that setup for warmer air without being able to monitor and manage the tune...
The tests/tunes/dyno runs have been done.

De-snorkeling makes Little or the same HP as SNorkel.

Also sounds a lot better.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
...very few people here with k-series cars; they're mostly on SELOC...

Its been shown that the snorkel is only for sound deadening. It even acts like a vacuum cleaner to suck up everything from the roadway right into the air box. Best to remove it and use a high quality filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts