The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a Saab converible and didnt drive it for about 4 months. The key wouldnt turn since the ignition switch broke, so I called AAA and had it towed to a repair place. They fixed the ignition switch and the car wouldnt start, so they put the battery on a charger for an hour. My friend came and picked up the car, put the top down and drove home.

When she got home, she went to put the top up after shutting off the car, but neither the windows or top would go up. The battery was totally dead and even the interior light would not go on. I went over and jump started the car and then I was able to get the windows to go up very slowly, but I couldnt get the roof to go up. Once I shut off the car it would not start again. The car doesnt have a voltage meter so I cant tell if the alternator is charging it, but no idiot lights are on.

Does a power top require so much electrical power to operate it so that even with the car running, it wouldnt work? Right now the car is stuck in the garage with the roof down, but I read the manual and you can take the trunk apart and turn a wheel and manually raise it.

Would having a dead battery cause the roof not to go up, even if the car is running. I figure as long as it is running it should be getting some power to raise it.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
The months of inactivity and the deep discharge ruined her battery and I'm afraid it has irreversibly sulfated and a cell is dead. The 1 hour charge the shop put into the battery was only enough to give a surface charge to get the car started and the rest of the time she has been running on the output of the alternator. Just get her a new battery and she should be good to go again. With a completely dead battery there is not enough output from the alternator to run the top.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The months of inactivity and the deep discharge ruined her battery and I'm afraid it has irreversibly sulfated and a cell is dead. The 1 hour charge the shop put into the battery was only enough to give a surface charge to get the car started and the rest of the time she has been running on the output of the alternator. Just get her a new battery and she should be good to go again. With a completely dead battery there is not enough output from the alternator to run the top.
+1 Time for a new battery

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I am going to get a new one tommorrow. Her battery was replaced about a year ago, and it looks like they replaced it with the standard battery for the regular 900 model and not the higher CCA one that is suppossed to be used on the Turbo version, so it looks like that might have been part of the problem too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts