The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that there is no way to gain access to the interior of the vehicle (and hence rear hatch release) if the remote was used to lock the doors and thereafter power was removed from the car. It hasn't happened, just planning just in case...

So, if the key fob battery were to die, or the vehicle battery, the only way to gain entrance would be to either replace the key fob battery or remove the drivers side front access panel and "jump" or power the Lotus's electrics from another battery?

Seems the only way the "key" works to unlock the doors is if I manually locked them with the door lock pulls in the "up", or key-fob unlocked position. If I locked the Lotus with the key fob and the door lock pulls were in the down position, the key in the door lock does nothing. Still new to the car and figuring out its quirks as I have never had a car with such a strange setup.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Edit: I didn't read your whole post. Yes, that is the procedure. Yes, it is strange. We all live with it. The doors have 2 locks. One operated manually with the key, the other electric and operated by the keyfob or button inside the car.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I see you have an Exige. Remove your front access panels and there are battery terminals for this exact purpose.

On the Elise, you can obviously open the trunk with the key (except for the '11, which is the same as an Exige in terms of having battery posts up front).

EDIT: Duh. I see you already said that - yeah, the doors don't work with the key if they were locked with the fob. It doesn't make sense to me either.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys thanks, just making sure I have this setup down pat in my head. Basically, don;t let the battery die. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
You have described it all correctly :)

The reason it works that way is that the key operated locks are original and from the first and second generation Elises - which did not have central locking.

Lotus added central locking as an option for MY04 and rather than implement a completely new integrated locking system they simply added the remote locking as a separate system. I imagine this was to avoid having to re-comply the doors as I imagine that would be a required and expensive undertaking.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
One could put an "Anderson plug" from the battery to the clam... Say near the license plate light... Then it is also easier to keep it on a charger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
To add to the conversation, first thing I realized after buying my Elise was the key FOB is a real single point of failure. If that battery dies you are stuck until it's replaced. You can still use the key to unlock the passenger door and the trunk but you can't start the car on my 08 Elise without disabling the electronic alarm via the FOB.

I bought replacement batteries (2 to a pack) just for the FOB and put one in the original battery container in the Lotus tool kit and the other inside the car with the vehicle insurance folder stored behind the seat. As my FOB batteries die, I replace them with the batteries stored with the car and immediately buy a fresh pack to replace those.

I still am relying on the car battery not going out but I keep a pair of jumper cables in the trunk just in case. So far I've never been stranded! :clap:

Mark

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm, interesting. So your Elise allows you to enter the car and trunk if it was previously locked with the key fob and the fob battery/car battery is dead?

Mine doesn't if the electrical locks were activated (and who really is going to use the manual locks besides storage). So really the only thing I can think of is for me to create some kind of hidden pocket or storage area in a wheel well or something that has the Allen wrench for the access panel and a FOB battery in it.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Hm, interesting. So your Elise allows you to enter the car and trunk if it was previously locked with the key fob and the fob battery/car battery is dead?

Mine doesn't if the electrical locks were activated (and who really is going to use the manual locks besides storage). So really the only thing I can think of is for me to create some kind of hidden pocket or storage area in a wheel well or something that has the Allen wrench for the access panel and a FOB battery in it.
The Elise bonnet opens with a key not a latch.

I ran a terminal off the front connection and it just lays down by the wiper. you never see it. Then have a very small gauge set of cables to hook it to. Your not starting the car with it so don't need high amperage to unlock it.

Get a battery tender and make it a habit of plugging it in every time. Especially if you are running a lightweight Battery!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
To add to the conversation, first thing I realized after buying my Elise was the key FOB is a real single point of failure. If that battery dies you are stuck until it's replaced. You can still use the key to unlock the passenger door and the trunk but you can't start the car on my 08 Elise without disabling the electronic alarm via the FOB.

I bought replacement batteries (2 to a pack) just for the FOB and put one in the original battery container in the Lotus tool kit and the other inside the car with the vehicle insurance folder stored behind the seat. As my FOB batteries die, I replace them with the batteries stored with the car and immediately buy a fresh pack to replace those.

I still am relying on the car battery not going out but I keep a pair of jumper cables in the trunk just in case. So far I've never been stranded! :clap:

Mark
You can use your PIN to disable the immobilizer if your fob battery dies. However, you won't be able to get into the car to enter the PIN if you used the fob to lock the doors :p

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts

Mark
On the other hand I haven't changed my fob batteries since getting the car in 2006... eight years is pretty good battery life :)

That said I don't have central locking and I do know the PIN so if the battery fails I am OK :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts