The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My battery is dead and won't take a charge. Unfortunately somehow the emergency trunk release got broken. What can I do to get the trunk open or get power to the battery?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Somewhere in the back seat area under some carpet there is a trunk release cable. I'm not sure where exactly, but I'll look when I get homer after work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm considering picking up something like this:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL9796-Quick-Jumper-Jumpstarter/dp/B00005OWK2[/ame]

Not to expect enough juice to start the car, but enough to pop the trunk...

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
You can hook up a 12V source to one of the maxi-fuses in the passenger fuse panel, and then use the fob.

There's also a 12V binding post on the underside of the rear LHS wheel arch liner, as well as a chassis ground stud.

With all electrical solutions, there's risk of damaging the ECU with voltage spikes, although most reports are from people trying to jump-start the vehicle.

For a purely mechanical solution, Lotus recommends busting out the sail panel vents to access the hatch hinge bolts. That seems expensive and extreme.

You can also get to the hinge bolts from beneath the car, but it requires removing the undertray, and using multiple extensions and u-joints.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have never tried this but looking at the schematic it looks like you could apply 12V to pin 8 of the Central door lock(CDL) module connector to pop the hatch. The CDL is in the passenger foot well.
(try at your own risk of course)

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
The other post from chrome orange shows putting 12v to a fuse slot in the fuse box, which i think would be easier and slightly less risky that the CDL, wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
The other post from chrome orange shows putting 12v to a fuse slot in the fuse box, which i think would be easier and slightly less risky that the CDL, wouldn't it?
If nothing else, it's much easier to get to the maxi-fuses in the fuse panel. The CDL module is behind a panel, which requires removing the sill panel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A little late to the party here, but could we use a cigarette lighter socket (or accessory plug, as they are now known) to apply voltage to the system a little easier? The wiring to these is fairly heavy and can carry a lot of current. My 2010 has at least one of these inside the car, but I don't know if they continued them later down the line.
Lurking somewhere in this foggy mess I call a memory I seem to recall seeing a battery charger with a male accessory plug included... (?)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
A little late to the party here, but could we use a cigarette lighter socket (or accessory plug, as they are now known) to apply voltage to the system a little easier? The wiring to these is fairly heavy and can carry a lot of current. My 2010 has at least one of these inside the car, but I don't know if they continued them later down the line.
Lurking somewhere in this foggy mess I call a memory I seem to recall seeing a battery charger with a male accessory plug included... (?)
This is how I charge/tend my Elise, thru the cabin's 12v accessory plug. I am able to do that because it is "always hot". I believe that the only accessory 12v that is always on in the Evora is the one in the boot. You can choose to use a cig adapter from your tender on that one with no key in the ignition.....but that would do you no good in this situation. The Evora cabin ones do come "live" if you have the key in position one but not 100% if you can use those to charge or not....never tried. I have pigtails wired to the battery terminal when I need to throw on my tender but I also drive mine several times a week...so never bothered checking.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tried the lighter port the other day using a jumper pack and the only thing that energized was the HVAC fan. Not even the interior light came on. So I'm thinking using the lighter port won't work.
Neil

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried the lighter port the other day using a jumper pack and the only thing that energized was the HVAC fan. Not even the interior light came on. So I'm thinking using the lighter port won't work.
Neil
Did you have the key in the ignition and turned to 'on'? If so, then yeah, I don't think that its an option to use the aux in the cabin..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts