The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for disturbing you all. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My Lotus won't start.

I pulled the old Voltmeter out and the battery is OK. I pulled the fuse panel and the alarm fuse #11 is blown. I replace the fuse with another 10 amp, blows immediately upon insertion. Tried a 20 amp, fuse blew immediately.

I disconnect the battery and insert another fuse, reconnect battery and again the 10amp fuse blows immediately. The whole thing sounds like a short - not certain of whether the alarm took a dump or what.

I checked the rest of the fuses, all are OK... suggestions? gotta get home.

Thanks for the help. Viper, are you out there?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I apologize for disturbing you all. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My Lotus won't start.

I pulled the old Voltmeter out and the battery is OK. I pulled the fuse panel and the alarm fuse #11 is blown. I replace the fuse with another 10 amp, blows immediately upon insertion. Tried a 20 amp, fuse blew immediately.

I disconnect the battery and insert another fuse, reconnect battery and again the 10amp fuse blows immediately. The whole thing sounds like a short - not certain of whether the alarm took a dump or what.

I checked the rest of the fuses, all are OK... suggestions? gotta get home.

Thanks for the help. Viper, are you out there?
The interior light is on that fuse also. I assume you have no interior light when the door is open, correct?

It's a long shot, but occasionally when a bulb goes bad it can short instead of open... you might try switching the interior light to the "up" (off) position and see if that's the problem.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The interior light is on that fuse also. I assume you have no interior light when the door is open, correct?

It's a long shot, but occasionally when a bulb goes bad it can short instead of open... you might try switching the interior light to the "up" (off) position and see if that's the problem.
I don't know if the bulb is out or not, but I will certainly d/c the bulb and try inserting a fuse then.

Thank you both very much for your help. I hope to repay your help with many many laughs.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I don't know if the bub is out or not, but I will certainly d/c the bulb and try inserting a fuse then.

Thank you both very much for your help. I hope to repay your help with many many laughs.
You already paid your debt to me then :clap: (Not that I've been of much help... yet)

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Hi, Sorry to hear of your problems, I am away on vacation in Costa Rica and don,t have access to wiring diagrams. You most obviously have a direct short somewhere. Have you touched anything to do with the alarm recently, if so check for wires or terminals touching. From memory, there are 3 fuses associated with the alarm system, so if one blows it limits the area to investigate. I presume when the fuse blows the immobilizer is active (car won´t start). Last resort would be to access the immobilizer behing rear panel and splice the top two and bottom two wires togeter to bypass the immobilizer.
Sorry I can´t be of any more help, as I am in the middle of the rain forrest and won´t be back until the 25th.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Damn I'm sore from walking home... it was about 11 miles or so.

For those if us involved with Lotus for many years.....
This is known as the Lotus Position.
I'm hoping you're wrong. Boy I like driving my car every day - it would be a shame if I can't because of something silly like this on a more frequent basis.

There isn't much else to go wrong with the thing... since my warranty runs out next month, should I purchase an extension?

Ok, so I put the light switch to the up position and then inserted a fuse and it popped immediately.

Then I removed the switch entirely and inserted a fuse and it popped immediately. I am waiting for a voltmeter here at work to take a measurement.

Hi, Sorry to hear of your problems, I am away on vacation in Costa Rica and don,t have access to wiring diagrams. You most obviously have a direct short somewhere. Have you touched anything to do with the alarm recently, if so check for wires or terminals touching. From memory, there are 3 fuses associated with the alarm system, so if one blows it limits the area to investigate. I presume when the fuse blows the immobilizer is active (car won´t start). Last resort would be to access the immobilizer behing rear panel and splice the top two and bottom two wires togeter to bypass the immobilizer.
Sorry I can´t be of any more help, as I am in the middle of the rain forrest and won´t be back until the 25th.
You, sir, are amazing - responding whilst in the middle of a rain forest. I am in awe of your kindness. Thank you.

Alarm fuse #11 is the one that keeps tripping. Any other thoughts before I can get a Voltmeter on this?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ok, so I put the light switch to the up position and then inserted a fuse and it popped immediately.

Then I removed the switch entirely and inserted a fuse and it popped immediately. I am waiting for a voltmeter here at work to take a measurement.
OK, I guess you can eliminate the interior light as the culprit...

First thing I'd try is to disconnect the battery, then check the resistance of the "load" side of fuse #11 to ground. If it's really close to zero ohms, you probably have a wiring short somewhere...

As said before, have you done any mods lately or taken apart any interior parts?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I guess you can eliminate the interior light as the culprit...

First thing I'd try is to disconnect the battery, then check the resistance of the "load" side of fuse #11 to ground. If it's really close to zero ohms, you probably have a wiring short somewhere...

As said before, have you done any mods lately or taken apart any interior parts?
Yeah - no interior mods - everything is stock, although after seeing ******#1's posts, I am thinking about a few interior mods.

it is 0 ohms - which definitely indicates a short. On a most positive note, I was able to contact Lotus this morning. They are having the car picked up and are hoping to resolve the issue for me today, if they're able to. Once again, Lotus Of Scottsdale is amazing! :bow:

jinkies, I'm kind of glad I wasn't able to go on the big run this past weekend. It would have sucked to have this happen so far away.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yeah - no interior mods - everything is stock, although after seeing ******#1's posts, I am thinking about a few interior mods.

it is 0 ohms - which definitely indicates a short. On a most positive note, I was able to contact Lotus this morning. They are having the car picked up and are hoping to resolve the issue for me today, if they're able to. Once again, Lotus Of Scottsdale is amazing! :bow:

jinkies, I'm kind of glad I wasn't able to go on the big run this past weekend. It would have sucked to have this happen so far away.
Good luck, let us know what the diagnosis is... wiring shorts suck and can be hard to find, especially on a car with an aluminum frame and sharp edges everywhere... :panic:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First update -

Lotus of Scottsdale rocks. I just met with the tow company and they are taking the Lotus up to the shop to be repaired. :clap: Andy says he has an alarm and an immobilizer in stock if need be.

Mad props once again to Andy and Chad at Lotus of Scottsdale. You guys rule. :bow:

Here's a fun photo for the day... and more to come. DAMN that car looks sweet - even on a TOW TRUCK BED!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
First update -

Lotus of Scottsdale rocks. I just met with the tow company and they are taking the Lotus up to the shop to be repaired. :clap: Andy says he has an alarm and an immobilizer in stock if need be.

Mad props once again to Andy and Chad at Lotus of Scottsdale. You guys rule. :bow:

Here's a fun photo for the day... and more to come. DAMN that car looks sweet - even on a TOW TRUCK BED!

For those if us involved with Lotus for many years.....
This is known as the Lotus Position.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i see the problem! it's painted BLACK!
seriously, i hope the problem and cure are simple. good luck.
no one likes to see a lotus in the lotus position.
sam

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know it's too late but I just saw the thread. Fuse F11 feeds the interior light (like Viper said), the alarm horn, the main alarm module, and the microwave sensor.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i see the problem! it's painted BLACK!
seriously, i hope the problem and cure are simple. good luck.
no one likes to see a lotus in the lotus position.
sam
LMAO rotfl

I do too! The Lotus position is new to me, and I hope to not see much more of it! :D

I know it's too late but I just saw the thread. Fuse F11 feeds the interior light (like Viper said), the alarm horn, the main alarm module, and the microwave sensor.
Hey Blue10 - better late than never... Thanks for contributing. :nanner:

SECOND UPDATE!

I would like to start this off by saying I am amazed with Lotus of Scottsdale. Not only did they send a truck for my car, they also tore it apart and began troubleshooting it this afternoon! :huh: I can't explain how comforting that is. People who don't know the facility may not understand why I am so thrilled. There is only one sales person (who is a world class gentleman), Chad; and one mechanic/parts person/service writer/scheduling person, Andy. No one else, except Kirsten who works in the back doing paperwork. They have no Lot Techs, no other mechanics, no one. Simply incredible to be treated like this with so few resources at their disposal. I'm in awe.

Onto my update... I received an email from Andy explaining that he is "overnighting a module for the door lock system" and that he has contacted the field service engineer to further troubleshoot the issue beyond that point as he has all the remaining parts in stock if necessary. He's hoping the car will be ready by tomorrow. :crazyeyes

I'm floored by how well these guys treat clients. With only 2 of them, they're still a first class establishment. I'm buying my next Lotus from them, and the next one, and the next one... :bow:

More updates as they come.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
My guess is that the alarm module has shorted internally, but as I say its just a guess.
P.S. Still in rain forest, but all is put to one side to help my Lotus brothers ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Viper, you rule.

I have a question for everyone else who is NOT on vacation.

Andy mentioned that he was able to bypass the alarm and start the car to ensure the ECU was ok. Is it then possible to install/setup a simple bypass switch for the alarm in case this situation happens again? Something simple in the boot or engine bay or even the underside of the dash (whatever is most convenient)...

I know I may sound like a blasphemer, but I could care less about the alarm. I'd rather have a car that I can start in an emergency.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ANOTHER UPDATE AND A QUESTION:

So I got a message from Lotus of Scottsdale and they are hoping to have our car ready this evening. They've had to replace every single component for the alarm system and door lock module as well. I have the kind of itch that only my Lotus can scratch!

Question for those electronics gurus out there...

Is it possible to install a bypass switch on my car for the alarm system? I don't want to be stranded again. The car runs fine without the damned thing.

I have no love for that alarm. it's not friendly, it has rotten teeth, and it's mother is a bastard child from an anal torture f*ck. :mad:

Let me know if you DO think it's possible and if so, maybe a little help on how to accomplish it if Lotus won't be able to do it for me.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts