The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I am not sure if the calculation is even valid. I think you need to calculate the average mile driven by a driver and not just the population total. Here in San Francisco, we have 500K population, but a lot of us take public transportation and the average mile driven is quite low, whereas I saw more idiot drivers every time I drove than any other place. So, on an accident per mile driven basis, I think my little city by the bay can beat Wy.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
They also don't take into account the amount of deer/elk/large animals that frolic along the highways. I had several close, and one dramatically ridiculously "I can believe I didnt hit him" close call with Elk in Wyoming. They're everywhere. It got to the point where I was too afraid to drive at night.

The poll is about deadly crashes, not crashes in general. Probably a lot to do with seatbelts as stated. I wonder how the poll would change if you just monitor crashes. I'm sure the population centers will win that battle.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Now that's pretty funny. Massechusettes & Jersey are consistently called the states with the worst drivers, and I'm sure one could make a case for Connecticut or NY as well. So 4 of the states with the worst drivers are the "least deadly"? Obviously, population is not a good parameter to judge by, you need to take into account miles driven per person, and the number of people on the road.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have lived in Oklahoma, Texas, California (three times), Georgia, Rhode Island, New York (three times), Alaska, Arizona, New Hampshire, Oregon, and Louisiana. I have to say the worst drivers I have encountered are in Georgia!!!! Oh and I drive in many other countires, a lot of them. Drivers in Georgia are the worst!!!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Yeah, but look which state had the highest QUANTITY of deaths - Florida. :( I bet most were in Miami-Dade, too. We have some seriously crappy drivers here!

EDIT - oops, nevermind, california had about 25% more fatalities than FL, but with double the population.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts