The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I always take the forums advice.

People who have hands-on experience, and specialize in that specific model of car.

If you could, please check out this 2006 Lotus Exige.
LINK LINK LINK LINK

Here's the situation.

Dream car, planning to buy it and slowly repair it rather than pay for everything upfront.

That being said, I don't want to get stuck with something that'll cost me more than I can handle, so I need the blessed forum wizards to help on budgeting this guy out.

No grunt labor, I'll find the prices, I just need help identifying if I'm missing anything critical in this assessment.

Parts List
Front clam
Passenger side lights
FR wheel
passenger airbag
Lower control arm, upper control arm
Probably a bent shock
Bearings just to be safe
Passenger side radiator exit
Wheel well

Do you think that subframe is repairable?
It's aluminum, so it should be able to be cut then re-fabricated right?
Has anyone here gone too wide in a turn and had to do the same?
The LCA and UPA should also connect to that same subframe, and therefore the mounts as well?

It certainly seems to me that this car is repairable, the subframe itself can even be taken off with relative ease it would seem...
03a Assembly Front Subframe, print

Anyone with more experience see any other red flags?

Thank you for your time, and thank you for your help.

If I do end up getting her, I will give back to this community 10 fold with what I can.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
315 Posts
It's a 2006, not a 2016. I searched the VIN and found two of it's previous owners on here. The most recent hasn't been seen since 2017 so no details on the accident.
Can't speak to if it's fixable.

Reactions: BoyceWare

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
651 Posts

People who have hands-on experience, and specialize in that specific model of car.

If you could, please check out this 2016 Lotus Exige.
LINK LINK LINK LINK

Here's the situation.

I've got 10k to spare, and I'm local to this auction.

Dream car, planning to buy it and slowly repair it rather than pay for everything upfront.

That being said, I don't want to get stuck with something that'll cost me more than I can handle, so I need the blessed forum wizards to help on budgeting this guy out.

No grunt labor, I'll find the prices, I just need help identifying if I'm missing anything critical in this assessment.

Parts List
Front clam
Passenger side lights
FR wheel
passenger airbag
Probably a bent shock
Bearings just to be safe
Wheel well

The LCA and UPA should also connect to that same subframe, and therefore the mounts as well?

It certainly seems to me that this car is repairable, the subframe itself can even be taken off with relative ease it would seem...

If I do end up getting her, I will give back to this community 10 fold with what I can.
I am not aware of a replacement subframe for an Exige.Better confirm that one.The crash structure is all I know that you can replace and this one may be damaged.Repairing the chassis suspension mounting points would be extremely difficult.

·
2005 Graphite Grey Elise
87 Posts
The subframe you linked is an Evora not an elise/exige. The front end of this car is a whole mess of bonded pieces that i definitely wouldn't want to deal with. I just happen to have my front clam off right now and you can kinda see how everything is glued together.

Im also pretty sure that main rail that comes right under the boxes where the upper A arm mounts is the main chassis frame rails. If thats damaged youre probably done.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This car was recently up for sale in VA Beach area as a clean title. I wonder what happened to it. I wouldn't want to deal with fixing the front subframe either. I would make sure the damage is localized to the front crash box only.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The subframe you linked was for an Evora.
The Exige does not have a front subframe.
This car is likely to go over $15,000. Especially if the rebuilder has inspected the front damage and knows it can be rebuilt.
There’s also something going on with the diffuser, can’t tell from the photos.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You’ll probably need a new wheel hub
You need new bushes for the new wishbones
Steering linkage
Probably messed up the steering rack
Ball joints for the new wishbones
Probably messed up ac lines of it had it

I have completely stripped my car to the frame and made a roll cage. I would never have reasonable expectations of properly fixing a car that had damage after the crash box. You don’t have the correct tools, environment or way to test the proper adhesion if you think you’re going to bond a new front subframe to the main chassis.
The piece you are looking at for the evora isn’t the same as these cars.

·
Administrator
5,111 Posts
This car was recently up for sale in VA Beach area as a clean title. I wonder what happened to it. I wouldn't want to deal with fixing the front subframe either. I would make sure the damage is localized to the front crash box only.
If it's the one I thinking of I know the guy that sold it. He's in our local FB Lotus Owners group. Damn

·
Administrator
5,111 Posts
Just got confirmation that it was friends old car and current members now old car

·
Registered
2,970 Posts

If you could, please check out this 2016 Lotus Exige.
LINK LINK LINK LINK

Here's the situation.

I've got 10k to spare, and I'm local to this auction.

Parts List
Front clam
Passenger side lights
FR wheel
passenger airbag
Probably a bent shock
Bearings just to be safe
Wheel well

If the suspension mounting points arent bent it will sell for closer to $20 then $10k If they are bent then the car is "worthless"

You're not going to get a repairable exige for $10k. with the possible exception of one with terrible damage to the doors and rocker panels that is hard to repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got confirmation that it was friends old car and current members now old car
I was one of the previous owners. If you purchase the car feel free to reach out. Would love to see it rebuilt. The owner who crashed it didn't have the car long.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,723 Posts
If the suspension mounting points are not bent or damaged, then this should be a pretty easy fix. I did a similar job on a 2007 Exige S. (Ignore my somewhat misleading thumbnail intended for non-Lotus experts...the BEFORE pic is actually after significant work had already been done -- I should fix that with a new thumbnail!)

@kfennell FWIW, I paid $12,000 for mine, though it had a blown engine too!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
$12000 in 2017 plus ~$2k for blown engine deduct + 30% for 2020 prices....

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,723 Posts
If you're local to the auction, I'd really go down there in person and get a good look at that front suspension. If any of the mounting points are bent, walk away. If they are good then I'd bid.

There is a process for checking the chassis straightness in the service manual also, if you are able to get the car on a lift or jacked up.

BTW the Exige headlights are currently about $1700/each from the factory last I checked. The turn signal light is like $200-300 too.

Also missing from your parts list:
Front crash structure (Elise-spares has good prices on their own version)
Front oil cooler
Front swaybar
Radiator (maybe?) + fans?
Little stuff like tow hook bracket, horn
Front oil cooler support structure (this thing in the pic below)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts