The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to the factory offered paint-chip protection, the sport exhuast and driving lights, what would you like your Lotus dealer to offer as options?
Personally, I'd like to see some type of tonneau cover for the interior so I wouldn't have to fiddle with installing the top when I stop for lunch on a road trip.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Elise top is easier to install than any tonneau cover I've ever used. It's actually easier to install than many convertible tops are to raise and lock down.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I read something about polycarbonate front lower lip (splitter) scratch prevention. I angle over bumps and large-angle transitions in my current car (not an Elise), and am proud to say that I've NEVER scratched the chin. However, even after careful instruction on how the car rides lower than what they're used to, friends often scrape the nose when I let them drive it. Even when I'm sitting in the passenger seat. Even less than 30 seconds after I told them to be careful. :) I got a nice deep/long scratch from one of the few times I had to use valet parking. This one is the only one that's really visible without looking for it.

The Elise sits much lower than my current car, and the center of the front overhang protrudes farther out relative to the center of the front tires. It's gonna get scraped to hell and back anytime anyone else drives it.

So, I want those scrape protectors. That's a "convenience" item as far as SCCA is concerned, right?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That would definitely fall under "Comfort and Convenience" for SCCA.

Other options as of now...

Stone Chip Guard
Driving Lights
Upraded Headlights
Lip Scuff Guards
Carbon Fiber Sill Plates (not sure is alloy sill plates will also be offered)
Exhausts (2)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Items not offered to us by Lotus which I would like:

The wheels for the standard suspension in black

A cut-off switch for passenger airbag

I've seen some carbon fiber interior pieces that would like nice - also came across a carbon-fiber hardtop....

Upgraded stereo/speakers with XM satellite radio

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Hmm... is there interest in a Carbon Fiber gullwing or hardtop?

Because that would remove the paint match problem.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
strawtarget said:
The Elise sits much lower than my current car, and the center of the front overhang protrudes farther out relative to the center of the front tires. It's gonna get scraped to hell and back anytime anyone else drives it.

I haven't checked but perceptually it seems to me that the Elise has very little front and rear overhang, compared to just about anything else. I'm curious about this because my current car (99 Miata w/ sports suspension) is pretty low and I have scraped the chin spoiler a number of times.

Strawtarget, what's your current ride and how does it compare in terms of front overhang ?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
P.S. In addition to the polycarbonate "sacrificial" bits at the lower front end, I'd like to have the 3M or equivalent stone chip protection on the leading edge surfaces of the car, and sill protectors (carbon fibre, natch !). Oh and the driving lights, and the sports exhaust.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
C.F. hardtop would be nice, better yet if it was in two parts that could fit into the trunk. Color match valve covers, would be a nice extra. Open air style intake, if improves on stock. With the stock setup a larger front tire/wider wheel, in other words a car tune more towards neutral handling.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Regarding front scuff protection, I wonder if a license plate could be bent to wrap under the chin for some protection.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ivan1 said:
Items not offered to us by Lotus which I would like:

The wheels for the standard suspension in black

A cut-off switch for passenger airbag

I've seen some carbon fiber interior pieces that would like nice - also came across a carbon-fiber hardtop....

Upgraded stereo/speakers with XM satellite radio
Maybe the dealers could offer painted or powder-coated wheels.

Speaking solely of my situation, even if a cut-off switch was offered as a dealer option I know we would opt not to do them, too much liability.

Carbon fiber is always nice, I know Tubi has kits for Ferrari maybe they'll have them for Lotus too.

I would love to have satellite radio insatlled by the tech who works on my car. I've seen so many frusttrated customers who take their car to a stereo shop who knows nothing about exotic cars and really hack them up.

·
Registered
609 Posts
ECM Department here...

I'm counting on being able to get a K40 installed...:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
mikester: My current car is an Audi TT, which is by no means unusually low to the ground. However, some of my friends are used to driving floaty American sedans, and the valets are used to driving SUVs here in Texas. That, and most people just don't care if they scrape their car's nose. I don't imagine that my TT has it any worse than other sporty cars in the realm of nose-scrape prevention, but I do think the Elise will have it worse than usual.

I might have been wrong about the Elise front overhang being longer than that of my car. I just downloaded some technical drawings of a TT and an S1 Elise. It looks to me like the TT has 875mm of front overhang, and an S1 Elise has just shy of 800mm. So the Elise (S1, anyway) does indeed have less overhang. I guess the scale of the car was throwing me off. As long as the S2's nose isn't longer, that's an encouraging fact.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Re: ECM Department here...

roadrunner said:
I'm counting on being able to get a K40 installed...:)

Hear, hear.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
I'd like to see:

1) A truly track worthy set of brake pads

2) 4 or 5 point cam-lock harnesses

3) Dealer installed cruise control (I know, I know, but this is going to be my daily driver too)

4) A front splitter and Exige-like rear wing for extra downforce

5) Cup holders, under-car neon kit & huge subwoofers! :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
- Xenon HID for the main headlamps
- brake pads for the track
- harness kit

Thank for letting us give feedback.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts