The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new Evora to the Lotus dealer for the "punch list."
They accidentally hit the nose on the service bay door. Reportedly it only damaged Starshield in two places, both the size of an eraser head. They took it to their clear bra guy and removed the star shield prior to me seeing it. He put 3M clear bra back on in place of Starshield.
I have multiple issues with the whole situation. I wanted to see it first of all. Also I wanted star shield back on instead of clear bra. I have not seen the car yet. Basically I do not completely trust that no paint work was done. I envision that they whisked the car away, took off Starshield...touched up paint and reapplied clear bra to cover it all up. I might just be paranoid.
Clear bra actually has a better warranty than Starshield. The dealer did say that once I see the car they will do whatever I want. They will put oem Starshield in place of clear bra if needed.

Please give me your opinion?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I wouldn't fret over it. I would wait until you see it first hand.

I had my starshield replaced with another brand (skuff marks from road debris), and quite frankly, it looked better than new.

If you can tell where the damage was without them pointing to it, then that would be a different matter. In that case, I would make them fix it until it's perfect again.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Dude, you change cars every 10 minutes, so drive it for the next week and then you'll get something different and better!

And blast Bad Brains in it!! :)

Seriously though, I miss not having FVCM here. Not only were they great, but they were friends. My car was treated wonderfully there.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude, you change cars every 10 minutes, so drive it for the next week and then you'll get something different and better!

And blast Bad Brains in it!! :)

Seriously though, I miss not having FVCM here. Not only were they great, but they were friends. My car was treated wonderfully there.
Yes, FV one of the best!
I ordered the third Elise they received many years ago. Sold the car before I ever laid eyes on it:facepalm

Our dealer here is certainly not Fox Valley nor is there an Abe that knows what they are doing.....hopefully they will grow into a strong dealer.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess just wait until you see the car. Sounds like they are being cooperative and honest, which is good.
True...however I did drive by dealer yesterday to see it and they had sent it out.
They said that the clear bra installer did not have a "proper" shop so therefore I could not really go see it?!? The service manager called the guy and asked him to email pictures. He stated that "there was nothing to take pictures of"

Basically I just need to go see it but I am in the middle of a snow storm. I am stuck in house so thought I would blog away.......:cool:

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
It is aggravating when things are done with our cars without our input. That's happened to some degree about everytime I've taken any car anywhere. Also why I 've tried to do so much myself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought that 3M makes pretty much all of the various clear bra materials, including the one branded as "Star Shield." Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought that 3M makes pretty much all of the various clear bra materials, including the one branded as "Star Shield." Anyone know for sure?
"Original ClearBra" and XPEL both claim to be proprietary clear shields made by someone other than 3M. I've heard really good things about the XPEL "self-healing" material and it definitely feels different on a car than the 3M "StarShield" material.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is aggravating when things are done with our cars without our input. That's happened to some degree about everytime I've taken any car anywhere. Also why I 've tried to do so much myself.
I know....I imagine the guy driving it fast/dogging the clutch Ferris Bueller style!:no:

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
truthfully I would like to get rid of my starshield and get the 3M clear bra. I have and clear bra on all my previous cars and felt it looked and held up better than the starshield .

My starshield had a bunch of small bubbles in it when I purchased the car new. Starshield seems to get damaged easier too

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
truthfully I would like to get rid of my starshield and get the 3M clear bra. I have and clear bra on all my previous cars and felt it looked and held up better than the starshield .

My starshield had a bunch of small bubbles in it when I purchased the car new. Starshield seems to get damaged easier too
This is making me feel much better...thanks guys.....

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Put XPEL on the Elise after repairing the track related crash a few years back. Seems more substantial than Starshield.
Which reminds me, need to order more of the cleaner. This stuff is essential as it won't scuff the protective film like some cleaners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts