The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep -- after all this time, I finally got the call from my dealer and was told that my car is at the port, ready to be loaded on a boat.

The port is in Japan though because I have recently ordered an '04 Honda S2000.

I feel like I should say goodbye to this forum, but I can't bring myself to quit reading it. I am not even going to get my deposit back from the Lotus dealer because I want my test drive and I want the option to change my mind if I don't like the S2000 for some reason.

There were so many things that ultimately led me to choose the new S2000 over the Elise. Primarily, it came down to the fact that I could keep my E30 M3 and my Ducati if I bought the S2000. All I need to sell is my Audi S4. I'm not emotionally attached to the S4. Giving up the other stuff seemed like too high a price to pay.

I also want to use this 2 seat roadster a lot. I think the Honda is far better for frequent/daily use. I am only a few years away from having kids. I need to get my fill NOW. This car may not be a long-term keeper, but I know that the M3 (with a back seat) could continue to be fun once I have children because it has a back seat. I'm not going to sell it (unless someone throws a lot of money at me). You can't take Sunday drives with the wife and leave a child at home alone.

Another factor is that I may relocate to San Diego or Tucson in the next 18 months. If so, I'd want a roadster as a daily driver. In Maryland...it's not ideal, but I can deal with it. I certainly don't need another weekend only vehicle around. The Ducati and the Elise would be fighting for my attention on nice summer weekend days. Both would be taken from the garage, driven around on country roads, and then put back in the garage. Not too useful.

Other factors that led me to my decision:

The Honda power top is nice -- you can park it and put the top up.
The Honda gearbox is just sooo nice.
It's just a Honda -- enjoy it and don't stress over it = liberating.
Lotus depreciation.
Lotus fiberglass.
Lotus fit and finish.
Lotus corrosion and cracking and rattling (see above).
Size - the Lotus may be too small -- close to freakishly small.
Track Use -- my car won't see a track very often.

Having said all that, I do have my fears about the Honda set. I don't think I want to be a part of any Honda scene -- not into the 2 Fast 2 Furious stuff. I'd much rather be associated with the Lotus name and people. Maybe that's why I am lingering here.

I'll stick around for a while here to see what develops. I am 1/2 hoping for major disappointment and problems with the Elise -- so I feel better about my decision....but you all don't deserve that, so I'll wish you all the best.

Finally, if my Honda dealer tries to add-on to the price of my S2000 when it arrives (mid-March), I'll be walking away (no Lotus dealer would do that, right?). I'm not selling the S4 until I get the S2000 home ... just in case. Never say never -- and my Elise deposit will stay where it is until it's time to "put up or shut up".

ps. I'll be watching my least favorite show, "MotorWeek" with special interest this weekend. They'll review the new and improved '04 S2000! If they like it, it has got to be good!
.... and there's a feature with Pat Goss!! WooHoo! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Best of luck - the S2000 is a great car and the 04 is supposed to be that much better....

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
P.S. If your Honda dealer tries to screw you, send me a PM - my father is a Honda dealer in NY and I can assure you an honest deal....

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
This type of toy can be a tough call. Since I've got a mid-engine weekend car, that I'm very happy with, spending this kind of money on another makes it tough. Have gone back and forth about buying something between the sports and everyday car and saving a extra $10-14K. A '04 S2000 sounds like a good fit for you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stuttgart said:
I am sure the '04 S2000 is a great car, let us know how you like it. Just wonder what's the out the door price on a '04 S2000?
I'll keep you posted. I don't know what the out the door price will be, but I am prepared to pay only my negotiated sales price of $30,800 + titling fee + 5% Maryland sales tax. Nothing else.

There aren't many options you can even get on the car. It comes with everything you could need. I will probably buy a hardtop ($2700) in the Fall.

Other options are things like:

rear spoiler
headrest speakers
xm radio
cargo net

I'm not getting anything extra right away. All of that stuff is available elsewhere for less $$ than what the dealer charges.

By the way, I ordered Red w/ black interior.
[My Elise would have been either Ardent Red or Magnetic Blue w/ black leather & Touring package]

·
Registered
963 Posts
meat said:
Personally, if you don't want a fast and furious setting, check out www.s2kca.com
No offense, but that S2K forum is dead. Only 7 members online and hardly any new posts. S2Ki has 696 members on line right now. Tons of threads and photos to check out.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
TW- I've been on the S2000 forums since about 1998 - yes before the cars came out. I was involved with S2000fans (the Treasurer) and with the eventual creation of s2ki and s2kca.

s2ki is run by people who are out to profit off of the community and myself and several other prominent S2000 owners have been banned from that site for "threatening" their cashflow. I have over 2500 posts on s2ki I think, fyi.

The group at s2kca is a straight-up group and questions can be asked and answered without flame wars, etc.

The volume of posts doesn't make the board, it's the people who are doing the posting.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Hans Stuck said:

The port is in Japan though because I have recently ordered an '04 Honda S2000.
Oooh, I gonna keeeel you, had me there for a fraction of a second :) Congrats, PM me about the S4 might be interested.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I would be getting a Honda S2000 if the Lotus Elise hadn't come along. Nothing wrong with the S2000 and the price is right. But it just doesn't excite me. The styling is just so ordinary. The Elise looks and feels special. The S2000 doesn't. I haven't driven either an S2000 or a US-spec Elise, so I can't compare, but I expect that the Elise will be a clear winner in that regard.

Life is about choices and compromise often is necessary. Fortunately, in this case, I can afford to stick with the car that I'm lusting after - namely the Elise.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Depressing thread... Too bad you're getting a Honda. I guess it's kinda OK, if you hadn't already seen the Liz. Why don't you just sell stuff until you have the money for the Liz?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Derek said:
Depressing thread... Too bad you're getting a Honda. I guess it's kinda OK, if you hadn't already seen the Liz. Why don't you just sell stuff until you have the money for the Liz?
Jeez, don't be depressed about it. It's not really about the money. If I were to end up with a concours E30 M3, a Ducati 998S, and a Lotus Elise -- what am I supposed to drive everyday? Don't tell me to get a beater. My daily driver is the car I'm in 90% of the time. Life's too short to pamper 3 beauties and drive a P.O.S.

Don't feel too bad if I end up with the concours E30 M3, a Ducati 998S and a new Honda S2000 either. That's not a garage worthy of any pity, I don't think.

I toyed with the idea of selling the M3, keeping the S4, and buying the Elise as another weekend toy. But with marriage only a few months away and kids within 3 years or so, I can't see the Elise getting use beyond 3 years. I don't think a pregnant woman will want to ride in it -- and after a child is born, what do we do with it? Put it in the trunk? I don't want to buy the Lotus to use it only for a couple of summers. It'll depreciate way too much to justify that -- and then I'll be looking for another 4 seat weekend toy again since I would have already sold the nicest E30 M3 I've ever seen. Depreciation is zero.

Selling the Ducati isn't an option because I know that I would not be happy without a bike. End of story. I can think of no other bike I'd rather have than mine. Trading down to a Japanese bike wouldn't yield enough money to make a difference.

So, in the end, I will be getting a car that I can use and have fun in everyday. It's 90% of the car the Elise is, but I'll get to drive it 90% of the time. With an Elise, I'd be looking at 10% more car, but it would be used only 10% of the time. The unknown factor is that the Elise could be 300% more headache than an S2000 -- which would make my choice 100% correct -- for me.

I hope that makes sense. Of course, I can still change my mind.
I've signed nothing.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hans

For what it is worth - I own a S2000 and an Exige. I was going to sell the S2000 for the Elise. I even went out to the LA show to check the car out (even though I've driven a S2 on several occasions and visited Hethel).

I really don't think the Federal Elise is worth my 2000 S2000 with 8000 miles plus another $20-$25K. Yes, that is the difference between my used S2000 and the Elise. Sure the Elise will be faster around a track, but I'm using this car for my weekend toy. I want to be comfortable and be able to take the GF and get away for the weekend with this car. These things become more of an issue with the Elise.

The S2000 is a great car (even if they are taking the edge off of it) and you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are spending over 30k, why buy something that you see on the road all the time? I will bet you that you gonna regret when Elise comes out. You gonna try to sell your S2k and end up spending even more money than what you originally intended. Once in a while when you see a lotus Elise (cuz it is gonna be very rare), you gonna wonder, "Dude.. .That would've been me driving that car"...

Mock my word, you will regret it. It is like you choosing to buy a Honda motor cycle instead of ducati. Lotus is in different category than Honda in my opinion.

P.S. I'm not bashing S2K. it is an awesome car. I'm just saying that I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
eliseDude said:
If you are spending over 30k, why buy something that you see on the road all the time? I will bet you that you gonna regret when Elise comes out. You gonna try to sell your S2k and end up spending even more money than what you originally intended. Once in a while when you see a lotus Elise (cuz it is gonna be very rare), you gonna wonder, "Dude.. .That would've been me driving that car"...

Mock my word, you will regret it. It is like you choosing to buy a Honda motor cycle instead of ducati. Lotus is in different category than Honda in my opinion.

P.S. I'm not bashing S2K. it is an awesome car. I'm just saying that I wouldn't buy it.
If I recall correctly, you're the "image is everything" guy who posted something about putting "bumpin soundz" in your Elise when it comes. I highly doubt he wanted the Elise for the same reasons you did/do.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Not really trying to take the edge off purchasing a Honda S2000. Different people have different criteria. I totally agree that a pregnant woman wouldn't fit well into the car and the Elise certainly isn't meant as a family car ... and buying a car that you plan to sell within a few years is a good way to throw away money ... and those living in areas with harsher winters than southern California probably need to make concessions to the weather.

However, I've driven my Miata everywhere for the last 14 years, including commuting 90 miles to and from work. My wife and I have taken it many places for 3, 4 or 5 day trips. Not always ideal, especially if you like to shop, but not really a problem. You learn to travel a little lighter and pack creatively. The Elise offers a similar amount of storage space (considering that I've been traveling with the donut spare in the trunk of my Miata, which consumes much of the useable space) and is about the same size. So I don't foresee any problems with using the Elise as my daily driver and for weekend-plus getaways. We don't have kids, no boat to tow and you can always ship any large purchases. Should work out fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts