The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I purchased my 2005 Lotus Elise on 15AUG from a local (San Diego) Chevy dealer. The car was a trade in and hadnt been smogged. I drove the car home on the 15th and back to the Chevy dealer on the 16th. The chevy dealer couldnt get the car to "talk" to their smog equipment so it went on the 16th or 17th to the Lotus dealer (San Diego).

It has been there ever since. They dealer claims that Lotus only allows ordering parts on Monday, so that ate a week, then the part took 1.5 weeks to arrive and now I do not know the excuse.

Does this sound familiar? Do Lotus dealers really suck this bad? It feels very frustrating to buy the car and then not have it for 3.5 weeks for something so simple (IMO). It should take them 30 minutes to swap the new computer in and smog it.:mad:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yep, that's SOP. Dealt with the same issues with the dealer I used to use, except they could only order on Tuesdays. They could place an order on other days, but with a nice premium ($$$) added on.

It turns what should be a nice, simple fix into a multi-trip, multi-week ordeal.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Fox Valley Motor Cars places their orders on Thursday. It's not a major issue if you understand and plan accordingly.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Only allowed to order parts on certain weekdays? "Oh you want to give us money Mr. customer? Sorry, we don't like revenue."

·
Registered
689 Posts
It is correct that dealers and auto repair shops can only order parts on a certain day of the week. It is not the dealers fault. The autobody repair shop has to go through the dealers to place the orders. Certain areas of the U.S. are designated different days to order. My rear bumper came from a parts/warehouse in the state of Georgia. It could be worse. They could have to be ordered across the Pond. With Lotus that seems to be a Plus for me.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
My dealer was every Tuesday.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very same - every Tuesday as well.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car still in the shop. The computer arrived on Weds, they started working on it on Friday. With new computer, the car will not start. For the second time this effort, they "have a inquiry into Lotus to see what to do next". That seems odd to me, like the Lotus mechs arent trained deep enough on the cars? I've never had any other car that required "calls to corporate".

Anyhow, I'm thinking of unwinding the purchase next week as this car sounds suspect. We'll see how early next week goes and if it was something obvious or if they find another part on late Monday that they have to wait a week to order. I was really looking forward to this car and hope it can still work out.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Fastring,
Is your car stock? Has the engine been upgraded or modified in any way (including bolt-ons such as header, intake, de-cat, etc)?

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Maybe give T.J. a ring? He's probably ready diagnosed and repaired the very same problem numerous times and is a great guy whose always happy to help.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Pretty common for an aftermarket tune to cause a status issue when smogging.

And yes, all Lotus dealers place their orders once a week including our online sources.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts