The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I was wondering what dealers in the Southern California area you'd recommend. On other Lotus forums I've read, Newport was pretty universally panned, and Symbolic seems to be in some dodgy state of quasi-existence.

A couple of related questions as well. One, do any of the SoCal dealers have demo cars to test drive? And two, where exactly will these cars be serviced (under warranty)? Only at the few dealers that sell them? Certainly kind of far to drive considering there doesn't seem to be a dealer anywhere near LA!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
desert euro in desert mirage (close to palm springs). They are currently expanding for Lotus (servicing also) on top of that they are going to sell Ferraris and Lambos.

I hear that they will stop taking deposits soon. I'm guessing they are around 40 or so. Ask for Pat Marsh or Austin.

http://www.deserteuropean.com

Ara

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There is a plan to have a service place in Los Angeles. There was some talk that Symbolic would be moving back into an LA facility this summer. There have been some unsubstantiated rumors flying around a while ago that another dealer might come out of LA, but I have heard nothing about that in a few months.

In SoCal, you have Newport, Desert European, and Symbolic. I think that they probably all have pros and cons. You might also consider buying the car from a dealer a little farther away, if it makes sense. It's not that big of a deal to drive the car 1000 miles or less back. Many people are going farther than that, some as far as Alaska.

You should look at the waiting lists and how they are being handled. Newport is not taking any orders until they start getting and delivering cars. Symbolic's list was rather long and I think I might have heard that they are no longer taking deposits.

Desert has been upfront that you can pay $2500 and get on the A waiting list, or get on the B list at MSRP. My concern is if a lot of people pay to get on the A list, does the B list keep dropping? And if the B list means you get a car a year later, and let's say they raise MSRP $2500, did you save anything? Just food for thought.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is also Silver Star in Thousand Oaks. They do not always have the latest information, but they do give MSRP and they already do Lotus service. That was the main reason I went there instead of Symbolic (and the lower $1000 deposit was nice too). They haven't indicated any 'games' with the wait list and since I moved from #18 to #15, it seems like they move people up when other drop.

I think they are just over one hundred on the waiting list now, though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information guys. After reading up a lot on old messages, it sounds like I shouldn't expect to get an Elise before 2006, and possibly later than that, due to the limited yearly production, delays, disproportionate dealer allocations, and waiting lists being relatively long already. Is this a reasonable assumption to make, or am I offbase here? Or does anyone really even know?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I shouldn't expect to get an Elise before 2006, and possibly later than that,
Don't think it would be later than 2006

Once production is ramped up, supply and demand will level out in a year or so

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Well, at least I'm used to waiting. Just waited a year and a half for my MINI Cooper S which I picked up in January. Hopefully I still have enough patience left in me for another long wait. 2006 feels like it might as well be 2060. I pretty much detest dealer markups on principle, but if it could bump me up considerably I might consider it.

Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts