The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a dealer out there who could give me an idea of what it would cost to *remove* the A/C from a new car? I'm wondering if the cost & weight savings would be worthwhile. I'm guessing that the A/C compressor, condensor, etc. might weigh 60 or 75 lbs?

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Thomas, I removed the A/C from my MR2 for racing. Total weight was around 45 pounds, almost all of it in the compressor. The tubing lines and exchanger were very light. I am thinking a garage would be faster than me, but it was only a few hours work of unbolting.

Removing the refigerant for me was free, as a local shop did it to recapture the freon. But then freon is probably more valuable than the new stuff.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
A/C at 40 lbs. is a bargain.
You perform better when you're comfortable, right?
Bob Tunnell says it's the most important 40 lbs. on his race car.

Easy for me to say, I can lose 40 lbs. off my frame between now and the time the car arrives...
:)

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it truly is 40 lbs, it woudn't be worth doing for me. If it is closer to 75, I may remove it. How many lbs of freon (or R-12 or R-14 or whatever) does a system hold?

I was planning on the compressor being 25 lbs or so, 10 lbs of freon, 10 lbs for condensor, etc. etc. adding up to 60 or 70 lbs. If I'm that's way off, and it is closer to 40 lbs filled, I'd keep it.

T.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd probobly dump it as this would not be my daily driver. I hardly use the AC, basically only when its humid and pouring. I would not take the Elise out on these days. I'd stick with power locks and a stero though! :)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
A/C Weight

A/C is only adding about 30#s. That's marginal weight. PW & PDL is only adding about 1#.

Don't forget air bags add weight too!

KH

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not worried about the airbags, they are likely only a few pounds and the added safety is worth every bit of the extra weight.

30# sounds pretty low to me, is that including everything, or just the compressor? The freon alone is probably 10# or more, not to mention all of the other components.

If it is truly only 30#, I'll look for weight loss elsewhere. (And, even though I'm from Wisconsin, I'm actually height-weight proportionate, so no jokes please!) :)

Thomas

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It will be interesting to see if there are other areas one can remove weight.

How heavy are the stock rims? That is the first place I will be looking. Next, tires. For competition use, a set of lightweight Hoosiers.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Randy Chase said:
It will be interesting to see if there are other areas one can remove weight.
I could shed a total of 20-25 pounds at the gut, hips, and ass (or arse). ;)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
This thread is interesting :)
Does anyone know why the S2 111S gained ~200lbs in the first place over the other S2's ?
I think the wheels are already pretty light. There may be some gains in a lightweight exhaust. The biggest interest to me would be to replace the clamshells with someting made from Carbon or Polycarbonate. That should shave off 150lbs at least.
While I think of it does anyone have a breakdown of the weights of the current Elises. We all know the chassis weighs ~150lbs and the engine (I forget,~200lbs?) All the suspension commponents? clamshells? seats?
Suddenly it's 1700lbs! I'd love to know the various weights!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Good point on the exhaust. Of course that would be one of the first places to look. The MR2 exhaust was over 30 pounds and I replaced with a Supertrapp weighing a couple pounds.

The stock Lotus rims I have seen do look pretty light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
John: The two main pieces that make up the front and rear body are commonly referred to as the clamshells. (BTW, did you get a chance to look at the Sun International Elise @ this weekends NASAX event?)

http://212.223.61.18/technical_e.htm

Granted this is a S1, but it's showing 13 and 15kg respectively. Thats only ~28.7 and ~33lbs.

Adamant: You meant losing 15lbs by going to CF or polycarb. right?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Xrcr6 said:

No, I meant 150lbs. From my undestanding GRP (Fibreglass) is pretty heavy relative to PolyC or CF. I don't know the total weights but I am assuming that a substantial weight loss could be had by replacing them. Of course find good quality ones and cost need to be taken into account.
Now that I have found a REAL LotusHead and he lives 15mins from me I am going to find out a lot more before my Elise arrives :) I think he owns 16 Lotus :D

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Xrcr6 said:
Granted this is a S1, but it's showing 13 and 15kg respectively. Thats only ~28.7 and ~33lbs.

Just visited that website!
Well I guess that showed me :eek: I thought they would weigh a lot more than that! It still doesn't sound right to me though. Wasn't the 340R 1250lbs mainly because of reduction of body panels?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Xrcr6 said:
John: The two main pieces that make up the front and rear body are commonly referred to as the clamshells.
In that case I don't know how much weight you would actually save. Going from aluminum to carbon fiber doesn't do much. If I recall the numbers correctly, Charles dropped about 5 pounds by removing the ribbing under the aluminum hood on his Miata. Going from the un-ribbed aluminum hood to carbon fiber only dropped another 2 pounds. That's a lot of dough for not much gain, especially if you have to paint the new panels.

(BTW, did you get a chance to look at the Sun International Elise @ this weekends NASAX event?)
You had better believe it. Peter asked me if "ELISE TR" meant what he thought it meant, and we strolled right on over to check it out. I do like the S1 styling. I also like the center divider and shifter hump better in black than in that hideous fake-metal in the 111S.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts