The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read in this forum that several people have placed deposits with dealers to purchase the Elise at MSRP and that an order number was placed on their receipt. Do you really think that there is a single dealer in this country that is going to honor the order sequence when someone comes to them and offers them $5000 to $10,000 over MSRP? Come on wake up, the dealers are going to make whatever they can. This is the USA, the land on the mighty dollar. How would you know if a dealer slipped the order sequence anyway? What are you going to do, demand a court ordered audit?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
While I agree with you to some extent, I do not entirely agree that the dealers have it in their best interest to sell a large number of cars prior to their deposit orders due to a thing called customer loyalty. If you get a large enough crowd pissed off, it can damage sales for years due to lost business.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
There are many dealers out there honoring their lists. I'd be the first one here to cry foul if my dealer didn't honor the list. My dealer has shown me the list and since many of us are here on this forum it would be easy to verify with our cohorts if you were skipped or not. This doesn't mean that the dealer can't slip one or two by, and there is a small amount of trust you have to concede to your local dealer. In the long run it would be short sited for any dealer to practice such things because in this age of instant information it would be easy for us "the enthusiasts" to exact retribution via this forum (ie Symbolic thread) if any of us got wind of deceptive practices. I for one wouldn't buy a thing from them since reading some of the posts. In the end I wouldn't fret about something that I can't really control anyway and will cross that bridge when I get there.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I think every dealer should honor there word. It was easy for them too take 1000.00 from me a year or more ago and keep it, and have it earning interests while all the while no one cared about the Elise or new it existed. They should honor there word to people who invested in them before it became hot item. Just like an investor putting money down and reaping rewards when and if the company does well. We all invested in something before it actually existed. Thats why we should get it, we were there when the others were not!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Houtx22: "Do you really think that there is a single dealer in this country that is going to honor the order sequence when someone comes to them and offers them $5000 to $10,000 over MSRP?"

Actually, it appears that SVAG, to name just one dealer, is indeed following the list, and charging just MSRP. Yet, for some inexplicable reason, they are not showing anyone the list, and are being vague about list positions. There's some kind of disconnect here, but it doesn't look to be manifesting itself in any type of evil way.

huggy bear: "My dealer has shown me the list and since many of us are here on this forum it would be easy to verify with our cohorts if you were skipped or not."

You are armed with a great amont of information. Your dealer deserves kudos.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My deposit is with the virtual dealership known as Symbolic of Beverly Hills. When I placed my deposit in January 2003, they were "unable" to tell me my actual # on the list. When I asked again a few months later, I was told that I was still in the top 20. Not exactly a fixed position, and why "still" unless people somehow can slide in ahead of you? Recent inquiries have resulted in a different approach - Symbolic indicates that they project my car to arrive around August, rather than dealing with what number I might be. Of course, if that doesn't work out, they can just say that deliveries were slower than expected or their allocation turned out to be smaller than they thought. It will be hard to track exactly what happens, even via this forum, since we have a lot less members than the total number of people who have placed deposits.

I don't expect the dealers to sell every car at MSRP, but I also don't want to wait forever to get my car because they are diverting too many cars to make extra money. Hopefully they will achieve a reasonable balance. On the other hand, if private parties are selling waiting list spots for a premium, and no doubt will be doing the same with some early delivery cars, it's hard to fault the dealers for trying to take advantage of the situation.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Rothrock of Philly has honored their deal with me. As a matter of fact, they had me 6th in April, and I moved up to #1 by October. They didn't have to tell me I moved up; I wouldn't have known the difference. And they took my order in early January at MSRP. They may not be the most dedicated dealer of Lotuses, but they do appear to have been honest and forthright.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Houtx22 you are in a city with one of the best dealers I know of, Wally at Star is honoring and will honor his list.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Silver star lotus has sent a letter out to everyone on the list telling them where they are. I agree we'll only know when we get our cars, but at the moment it looks like they will be well behaved.

I think part of the reason for that is the demographic of the elise buying public, or at least those close to the top of the list. I would guess that most of us are in the 25 to 40 year old range, committed car enthusiasts, with many years of buying relatively expensive cars in front of us.

I know for me the experience I've had with silver star so far encourages me to buy from them again.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have no reason to doubt that my dealer, Midwestern Auto Group in Ohio, will honor their list. My salesman has been very responsive and up-front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts