The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into the 'ol dealer to look at the new items that they are now offering like writing pens, t-shirt etc. They had this new 'o4 Black Esprit in the showroom that they just got in after selling their '03 Red one.

It is the best color for the car IMO- stunning w/ tan interior.

Some things I overheard some random people whose names I do not know in the dealership saying...

They have not recieved any shipping manifest information yet and to this point do not know their allocation...they will be offering the "gullwing" style hardtop- they will get blanks and paint them for the customer...all dealer agreements with Lotus have technically expired and the dealers are concerned about this as they feel it gives Lotus the upper-hand with this never-before-seen volume of cars on the way. Some dealers are concerned that Lotus could theoretically ask dealers to build dedicated sales sections specifically for Lotus onto the dealerships in order to be offered a re-up on the factory agreement*.

*I think that's what I overheard some guy saying.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
As surprising as it is that Lotus hasn't invoiced dealerships yet, it does seem to be the universal case. Maybe LCU is still playing games with allocations? I'm somewhat encouraged to hear that the dealership you overheard is 'concerned' and unhappy to be kept in the dark. I feel less alone now.

I can't imagine Lotus would have that much leverage with a $40k car, backordered or not. If they trickle in at 5 a month, that still has to be less exciting to most of these high-ticket dealerships than a single Lambo sale.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Ground Loop said:

I can't imagine Lotus would have that much leverage with a $40k car, backordered or not. If they trickle in at 5 a month, that still has to be less exciting to most of these high-ticket dealerships than a single Lambo sale.
Specially when the dealership is making an extremely low margin on these cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts