The Lotus Cars Community banner

What should dealers with vacated spots on the waiting list do?

• A) Bump everyone behind that vacated spot up one spot.

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • B) Keep everone behind that vacated spot where they are and once that car from the vacated spot com

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • C) Keep everyone behind that vacated spot where they are and just plug anyone else who walks in from

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D) List what list...We don't honor a stinking list.

Votes: 3 6.4%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We can safely assume that there are people that drop off the wating list. What should the dealerships with vacated spots do? I'm working under the assumption that you have a contract stating your position on the waiting list. Please vote.

A) Bump everyone behind that vacated spot up one spot.

B) Keep everone behind that vacated spot where they are and once that car from the vacated spot comes in, sell it for market value first come first serve and that could mean over MSRP.

C) Keep everyone behind that vacated spot where they are and just plug anyone else who walks in from the street with a deposit into that spot.

D) List what list...We don't honor a stinking list.

Aside from pulling a Symbolic, I know of several dealers doing one of the first three if someone drops off. I think C is the suckiest by far because johnny-come-lately could potentially skip over people who have waited very long on the list. B isn't as bad as C since it gives everyone a fair shot at it on the list and off. So if you're already on the list then you would have the option of getting it earlier than you would have or just remain at the same spot. You may want to ask your dealers if they are doing B or C.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I chose B. While I would love to move up list positions, I'm also developing an unhealthy anxiety over the prospect of last-minute chicanery, e.g., when the car rolls in and we're about to close, the salesman suddenly throws his promise of MSRP out the window, or tacks on bogus "prep" charges that otherwise amount to a crass profit-play.

So: If the salesman can make his gigantic profit off of a walk-in buyer and leave me the hell alone, then I will gladly stay in my established list spot.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
I chose B. While I would love to move up list positions, I'm also developing an unhealthy anxiety over the prospect of last-minute chicanery, e.g., when the car rolls in and we're about to close, the salesman suddenly throws his promise of MSRP out the window, or tacks on bogus "prep" charges that otherwise amount to a crass profit-play.

So: If the salesman can make his gigantic profit off of a walk-in buyer and leave me the hell alone, then I will gladly stay in my established list spot.
JonM3Coupe,

Well said and this is exactly my sentiment as well as my worry:confused:
Ditto Ditto

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
You're all probably gonna be surprised to hear my answer, but:

B

I feel that as along as a dealer can satisfy his contractual and ethical obligations to his customer, he has every right to make money off withdrawn deposits.

In fact, I also have no problems with dealerships holding back on their list - keeping every 5th car for themselves to sell at market value. If I'm not happy being #60 on his list, I can go elsewhere and find a #40 spot, afterall.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I voted B, too. Of course I would like to see A, but if a dealership can make a nice profit by selling a few cars with a markup, I don't blame them.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Agree with Transio (am I crazy? Did I just say that?!)

Option B enables dealers to sell some cars to people who are willing to pay more while honoring the wait list.

CHris

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Agree with Transio (am I crazy? Did I just say that?!)

Option B enables dealers to sell some cars to people who are willing to pay more while honoring the wait list.

CHris
Unless your dealer (like mine) promised to do A, in which case I woulnd't call it honoring the list. :(

I personally don't think the dealers are having too hard of a time making money that they really need to price gouge. I mean all they have to do is take down a list of interested people, swipe their credit cards for a deposit, earn some interest while everyone waits, collect some more money, and have the buyer pick up the car. Its not like they need to have room for 100 cars on the lot, or pay interest on their inventory or anything. Overall being an elise dealer has to be one of the most profitable businesses to be in at the moment.

Now being an Esprit dealer was probably a lot harder...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Need to read the question carefully...

It asks what "should" a dealer do, not "what is it most likely an unscrupulous dealer would do but that I suppose I could live with if I had to". The way a wait list "should" work is that whenever someone drops off everyone below moves up. The only correct answers is "A". It's the same way with organ transplants and airline standby. By answering "B" you are sending a message to the dealers that it is maybe OK to screw with us, but only a bit. Is this really the message you want to send?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
roadrunner,

I disagree. The dealer's contract with you is not to sell you a car after Joe, Mary, and Bob. It is to sell you car #4. If Bob drops out, they can sell car #3 for additional profit and still honor their contract with you.

If we're talking ethics or morality here, they SHOULD sell the car for a profit and donate the proceeds to feeding hungry kids in South America. After all, keeping the world healthy and well-fed is more important than you getting your car a few days earlier than is contractually stipulated, right?

But this isn't ethics or morality. This is business. So what the dealer SHOULD do is make as much money as they can while still fulfilling their clients' contracts in an ethical business manner (which means not adding on BS charges to make extra money on the MSRP cars).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Uh oh, nowhere to go but down from here...:)

Steve, I'm afraid I mainly disagree. I concede that if you have a contract that specifically states you will get car #n that arrives at the dealership, then maybe "B' is OK in that limited case. However, my agreement with the dealer is that I am on a "wait list" - what you describe is not the traditional way to manage this type of list.

I'm not talking ethics or morality here, just how a "wait list" is supposed to work. My analogies were organ transplants and airline standby - if you get elected I will remember to take better care of myself and travel in First...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts